shotgun licence- police have twice asked the doctor about my suitabili

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a test for you to get right, instructions above.

A decade is a long time to have depression ,two years will go quickly.

What kind of shooting do you enjoy.

John.

I go clay pigeon shooting. My doctor told me to take up a sport to try and get out of my depression.

The best way of coping is having animals that depend on you every day.

Yes I have chickens.

Still unclear as to whether you were depressed, but are now off medication and have recovered

I told the police that a conviction I had caused my depression. have I messed up by saying that?

yes-I was treated for depression.

was depressed for about 10 years. I told them what caused the depression.

I suffered from depression. the side effects of the pills caused very slight anxiety.

These quotes suggest you have recovered.

have you suffered from any medical conditions? I put yes I suffer from depression. Been off meds for a couple of years. I never put the slight anxiety down.

My doctor told me to take up a sport to try and get out of my depression.

These quotes imply the present tense and that you are still depressed.

I can understand the Police being a bit cautious.

Still unclear as to whether you were depressed, but are now off medication and have recovered

These quotes suggest you have recovered.

These quotes imply the present tense and that you are still depressed.

I can understand the Police being a bit cautious.

All I know is that I feel better about life and off anti depressants.

Tattooed - you made a post asking for advice, but fail to give members the facts on which to base an opinion.

Are you still depressed? If you aren't you have my sympathy in relation to your licence.

If you are still depressed, I agree with the Police, but you still have my sympathy for a different reason.

If you have been similarly vague with the Police, I don't fancy your chances in two years time.

No. longer depressed. The doctor also told the police was no longer depressed and could see no reason for me not getting a licence.

I was told by the firearms dep that I had to tell the guy that ran the gun club that I was going to be refused a licence. And if the guy that ran the gun club was ok with it, I could go back to the gun club. is this right?

I

Edited by Tattooed

I'm not so sure that you need to tell the gun club anything. You're not a 'prohibited person' and provided the club is approved with the necessary exemption you're good to go..Whether or not it would be prudent to do so should there be any checks made when in the fullness of time you re-apply is a differnt matter.

I had a motoring conviction that I declared but couldn't be found due to it being pre-1999 .

I ended up being the one supplying the facts , it does happen.

If they asked you to "withdraw" your application then technically you were not "refused" .

I would IMO say that you will be in a good position to re-apply after two years because you have took their advice .

As others have said , join a club and get involved in the social aspects of it as well as the shooting side , and in a couple of years you might be able to produce character references to bolster your application.

Bear in mind that just because you can't take a fun home right now , it does not stop you from being able to go clay pigeon /target shooting.

Where there is a will there is a way !

Depression is a vastly complicated issue, most people have been "depressed" at some time in their lives. The danger that I can see is that if one of us on here felt we were going under we would not seek help because we would not want to lose our licences. Being depressed doesn't mean you are going to do something terrible but its a risk and I wouldn't want the job of deciding.

Everyone goes through periods in their lives when, depending on how they handle it, they are depressed. We have just come out of such a period - lasted maybe a couple of years with all sorts of **** to contend with - and although there are still problems wife and I have now realised how unhappy/depressed we were. In the middle of this phase in our lives we met with a new GP (new to us that is) who asked the question and without a pause my reaction was no, we are ok, we are coping and this was with my gun licence in mind.

Sad but I don't trust the police were there to be a note on my medical file of depression. Also not sure about GP. Not sure what the answer is but this is not right but I'm sure I'm not alone am I?

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone goes through periods in their lives when, depending on how they handle it, they are depressed. We have just come out of such a period - lasted maybe a couple of years with all sorts of **** to contend with - and although there are still problems wife and I have now realised how unhappy/depressed we were. In the middle of this phase in our lives we met with a new GP (new to us that is) who asked the question and without a pause my reaction was no, we are ok, we are coping and this was with my gun licence in mind.

Sad but I don't trust the police were there to be a note on my medical file of depression. Also not sure about GP. Not sure what the answer is but this is not right but I'm sure I'm not alone am I?

I am very warey of what I say to my doctor, as I am about what I put on open forum. It would be very remiss of people to think the Police don't readily "surf" gun forums. Just my opinion. We're all different......

I am very warey of what I say to my doctor, as I am about what I put on open forum. It would be very remiss of people to think the Police don't readily "surf" gun forums. Just my opinion. We're all different......

My thoughts would be that over time there will be a marked dwindling of GP attendances and honest communication by patients who are FAC/SGC holders for any aliment more serious than a cold or having a boil lanced, leading to perhaps physical and mental health issues that could have been treated at an early stage developing into irreversible conditions that might lead to disastrous consequences that the policy is intended to avoid! :/

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think my chances are for reaplying again. The reason the police were not happy was - I had low moods and anxiety. THe anxiety was caused by the anti depressants and is a side effect off the pills.

My doctor suports my application fully.

Edited by Tattooed

I'm pretty sure if they just turned you down they will again... I have a friend who was naughty had something he shouldn't of and lost his guns 5 years ago he had no previous issues....he's been a good boy since and they refused him.... He's classed as a danger to the public now even tho nobody got hurt....he got caught with something he shouldn't of had.