Dog safety question

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and when the police ask you to justify shooting the dog, you can say a guy on pigeon watch said it was OK shouldn't be any problems. :hmm:

He was replying to a specific question, which was this :

My quesion is: if I'm in genuine danger (no way to evade trouble, retreat, etc) and the dog is on me (biting,, attacking, aggressive). Than what?

And his reply was this :

Then shoot it.

In the same situation, I would also pull the trigger.

What would YOU do, as that is obviously such a flippant move ?

My quesion is: if I'm in genuine danger (no way to evade trouble, retreat, etc) and the dog is on me (biting,, attacking, aggressive). Than what?

Are you not away ahead of yourself you see a dog, and jump to can I shoot it if it attacks me. I see dogs all the time and that question has never crossed my mind. :hmm: Obviously you can use whatever force necessary if you are attacked by anything. What would I do, if I had no option I would use whatever force necessary to stop the attack.

Are you not away ahead of yourself you see a dog, and jump to can I shoot it if it attacks me. I see dogs all the time and that question has never crossed my mind. :hmm: Obviously you can use whatever force necessary if you are attacked by anything. What would I do, if I had no option I would use whatever force necessary to stop the attack.

But shooting it is in the mix as he's been out shooting when the dog comes to him? Lol.

If being bitten to shreds by a dog are you going to leave the gun to one side and pick up a pigeon decoy to hit it with?

If you bother reading the whole thread, then you'd see on the very first post that the same person explains that they have been attacked/bitten by dogs in the past, and readily admits to being scared of them.

I myself was attacked by an alsatian at the age of 3. Still got the scars. The only reason I'm here today is that my dad used a sledgehammer on it. I was petrified of dogs - all dogs - for 20 years or more. It's only in the last decade that I've really gotten over it.

If you bother reading the whole thread, then you'd see on the very first post that the same person explains that they have been attacked/bitten by dogs in the past, and readily admits to being scared of them.

I did read the original post, being scared of something doesn't give you the right to shoot it. If he was attacked then he would have use his own judgment, and justify his actions to the police.

Hi

Tricky one

First thing I would do after seeing the land owner is go and see the owner of the dog

Explain the situation

Your engaged by the farmer on pest controle you have noticed her dog on the land two or three times

The farmer has complained to you about the dog as he feels its worrying and distressing his livestock and staff and you were just letting her know so the solicitors letter wouldn't be a shock

Depending on her response

A good one problem solved

If not a good response

Add I am now going to the local police to inform them of our meeting and make it known at that point that the next action will be to shoot the dog

And recover costs

Just my thoughts

Found it worked in the past

All the best

Of

I would have no hesitation at all to shoot a dog that I thought was going to attack me . It's a very emotive thing to shoot somebody's pet dog ,but not emotive enough to be bitten by a large dog . A few years ago I was asked by a local village council to shoot four lurches that had been abandoned by gypsys and were worrying live stock and attacking local pet dogs . I found the dogs in a small piece of woodland close to the village . These dogs were as ferrel as dogs could get and were very dangerous . Using my .270 I shot one immediately as I walked into the wood ,the other three run off . To cut a long story short I managed to shoot all 4 with in 48 hours . I had a certain amount of remorse for these dogs as it wasn't really their fault but they were very dangerous and had to be dealt with . I would not hesitate to shoot a dog that I thought was going to attack me .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

It is a tricky 1.

If a dog actually has a hold of u am sure u will have a defence in shooting but if a dog of the size and build of a rotty has a hold of u i wouldnae fancy my chances of hitting it if it is ragging u, esp at such close range and the change of injuring urself. A similar thing ppned to me with the farmers rotty was miles from the farm almost **** myself when i seen it running up to me, thankfully it was the other side of a fence. But quite often rotty's are generally quite friendly with people not so much other dogs, but it only takes 1 to hurt u.

A warning shot could scare and possibly trgger the dog (fright or flight)

Really i would be trying to stop the dogs walking there. Speak to the owner, if there is livestock around state ur legal right but do not threaten to shoot it/them.

Probably better with signs up, i guess there is a footpath somewhere there coming off?

Either put signs up saying wild bird nesting area, conservation area etc OR warning ticks/lyme disease, adders etc (even alabama? rot) Or as a last resort if u think u know where they are leaving the path leave some stinky stuff well off the footpath so the dogs will roll in it, if the dogs always come back stinking will soon find somewhere else to walk them.

I would not hesitate to shoot a dog that I thought was going to attack me .

Any dog a Yorkshire terrier for example. Or is there a certain size of dog, what would the dog need to do for you to think it was going to attack you. ?

People need to careful I thought the dog was going to attack might not stand up in court. they could end up with no firearms to shoot anything with. Even a farmer shooting a dog could end up in all sorts of trouble.

Any dog a Yorkshire terrier for example. Or is there a certain size of dog, what would the dog need to do for you to think it was going to attack you. ?

People need to careful I thought the dog was going to attack might not stand up in court. they could end up with no firearms to shoot anything with. Even a farmer shooting a dog could end up in all sorts of trouble.

If a farmer has the evidence of stock bwing attacked/worried he has nothing to worry about legally (althou that does not stop his fences being cut after it)

To have evidence u were attacked u would have to have bite marks, dunno how practical it would be to shoot a dog while it is still attached to u (esp when pain adreline flowing, more at risk of severely hurting urself with the shotgun)

With something like this always going to be ur word against th owners even if it never seen wot happened (as wee all know there 'fido' would never do something like that)

Probably the best idea is carry a heavy stick/extra hide pole just incase, will be easier to put a pre emptive in with the stick and try and get the owner to become a responsible dog owner

Possibly ask, your shooting organisation BASC or the like,

In these modern times you may find only the land owner has rights to carry out such action, or other parties instructed if live stock are being worried.

We have several dog walkers using grass margins, farm tracks talked to police and other parties & unless these tracks are gated and they have to physically go into field, causing DAMAGE to gate or crops there is not a thing we can do.

At the end you may have to prove this WAS a hostile dog before you shot it. As the owner produces videos of it playing with her grandchildren.

I no nothing take no notice, but do seek advice from solid source before acting,

All the best on your quest.

If a farmer has the evidence of stock bwing attacked/worried he has nothing to worry about legally (althou that does not stop his fences being cut after it)

The law is rarely that black and white.

It is not only damage to property that may be at issue. Section 4 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 makes it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to protected animals, which include dogs. Relevant considerations include: whether the suffering could reasonably have been avoided or reduced; whether the conduct was for a legitimate purpose, such as protecting a person, property or other animal; whether the suffering was proportionate to the purpose; and whether the conduct was in all the circumstances that of a reasonably competent and humane person.

The RSPCA generally investigates and prosecutes animal welfare offences, and it will be slow to agree that shooting was a suitable option. Anything other than a single, clean shot and immediate despatch could result in prosecution. Offences are punishable by imprisonment of up to six months and/or fines of up to £20,000. The court must also consider making an order disqualifying the offender from keeping animals

Shooting a dog also gives rise to potential firearms difficulties which farmers should bear in mind. If a rifle or other section 1 firearm has been used, then, unless one of the conditions on which the certificate was granted covers such use, which is extremely unlikely, there is a real risk of prosecution for failing to comply with the certificate conditions

Sausages are the answer there aren't many dog related behavior issues that can't be handled by sausages.

My wife even uses sausages to manage my behavior!

Fair point, or the person concerned about being attacked could bring a ball with him and throw it for the dog. And make an escape when the dog is looking for the ball. :)

Edited by ordnance

The best thing to do with the RSPCA is to have nothing to do with them and refuse to co operate with them. The less information they have the less trouble they can make. They are basically glorified kennel maids with a uniform designed to intimidate. They have no powers beyond those you and I possess to bring a private prosecution. There are far better national animal welfare charities out there which actually care about animals.

Very interesting that the new Arch Bish declined to be a patron when his 3 predecessors had been.......................... :whistling:

Or that it was attacking me and I feared for my life.

Possibly but unless you have bite marks to prove it, it's just your word. And someone could end up having to defend their decision in court which if it went the wrong way could cost them their firearms and lot of money. It would be hard to convince a judge that someone was in fear of their live because a jack Russell ran towards them barking for example. Some things to remember bellow.

and whether the conduct was in all the circumstances that of a reasonably competent and humane person. Anything other than a single, clean shot and immediate despatch could result in prosecution. Offences are punishable by imprisonment of up to six months and/or fines of up to £20,000. The court must also consider making an order disqualifying the offender from keeping animals. which is extremely unlikely, there is a real risk of prosecution for failing to comply with the certificate conditions.

I consider myself very law abiding but there is no way on earth I'd be worried about court consequence if faced with a snarling Rottweiler about to attack, explanatory bite marks will be conspicuous by their absence if I can help it.

anyone that scared of dogs probably should take up needlework, as being out in the country has an above average chance of meeting dogs,

last year I found a Rottie trotting down a road looking lost, I stopped and called it, I rang the owner as the address on its coller was 4-5 miles away.

just because its a big dog why be afraid of it?

btw a jack russell had hold of me this week, didnt feel the need to kill it,

How would you know it was about to attack. ?

I'd find out a nano second before IT knows baring its teeth, barking, foaming and making a rush towards me was a poor choice.

Really people, lets stop this fanciful courtroom lawyer deliberations, not gonna happen in real life. People get severely mauled, sometimes killed, when bad luck and circumstances combine. We are not talking about a pair of yapping terriers here, I would be inclined to sit down and try to play with those :yes: we are talking about what we may do if theoretically faced with an out of control Rottweiler - if that happens I will not shoot to kill just because of the breed but I will not hesitate to protect myself from being bitten by such a large and potentially lethal animal.

I'd find out a nano second before IT knows baring its teeth, barking, foaming and making a rush towards me was a poor choice.

Really people, lets stop this fanciful courtroom lawyer deliberations, not gonna happen in real life. People get severely mauled, sometimes killed, when bad luck and circumstances combine. We are not talking about a pair of yapping terriers here, I would be inclined to sit down and try to play with those :yes: we are talking about what we may do if theoretically faced with an out of control Rottweiler - if that happens I will not shoot to kill just because of the breed but I will not hesitate to protect myself from being bitten by such a large and potentially lethal animal.

+1

Harnser

Sounds like this is an irresponsible dog owner BUT the next person it encounters might not be an adult with the means of defence,kids are bitten & killed by kritters like this far too often

So shoot a dog in case it could possibly attack a child in the future. :hmm: I would bet most children and adults are bitted their family dogs rather than some out of control strange dog.