Waste sites and pickups.

southeastpete

Hi,

I've jut bought a pick up, and I knew I'd probably get some hassle going down the wate site, but it's a joke!

If you have any other vehicle in your household your not allowed to use the pickup. Whats the point in putting all that waste in the nice car when you have a pickup!

Otherwise you can apply for 12 vouchers per year! I understand they dont want commercial waste, but if you can prove your not commercial, why limit your visits!!? I'm so annoyed. Surely it's discrimination!

Are the vouchers free?

I understand the frustration but I also understand the policy, even if it is inflexible and discriminatory, as there'd be plenty of tradesmen that would use the household tip instead of paying to do it properly.

I got annoyed a month or so ago when I found a nice old (1940s) Anglepoise in the metal skip, I picked it out and asked how much they wanted for it but was told they couldn't sell it as it was electrical. I offered to remove the wire and bulb holder but they wouldn't budge. It was worth £150 but rules is rules!

Ours are jobsworths. Yes they are free, but anyone else in town can go as many times as they like. I can prove I work I childcare and have no commercial waste, why am I limited in how many times I can visit! Sure if you can't pore it's not commercial then maybe limit it. But even if was a tree surgeon, why should that limit me taking household waste and glass bottles etc...

our local one is widnes

a mate of mine almost put the little jobs worth in the compacter when he took an old carpet down there he has a ford ranger with canopy jobs worth said it was a pick up my mate said show me a picture of a pick up the guy goes to the office comes back with a picture of a pick up no canopy fittered my mate said yes that is a pick uo mines a large estate car with big wheels a four wheel drive now go away before you go in the compactor

Because my son and his wife only had a small car each, one weekend I drove my private Ranger up to Bristol from Exmouth to deliver a large unwanted wardrobe to the Bristol re-cycling centre. It had been in their Bristol home which they were just about to rent out having moved to nearby Portishead. No chance! Just started to consider carrying it back to Exmouth when we thought we'd see if the Portishead centre was open. It was and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. About five miles apart geographically but a million miles apart in attitude - probably because they come under differing council control.

Reminds me of a big row I had recently at the tip

Had 4-5 Small bags of rubble to take... so off I go... got there and emptied one bag... then Mr jobsworth comes over and said can only dump 80 litres (wheelie Bin size)...and I can't dump the rest of the bags as it was over the limit.... so turned round and said get me the official bin and will measure it.and then let you deal with it ...

Tipped the other 3 bags in.... gave it a good shake and then the last one...... with more room on top for more.... said there you go fella... plenty of room....

He said you can take that round now to the Skip.... said Nah you OK... will let you do it since I am right... his face was a picture

Yea, they have a 90kg of soil/hardcore limit per day at ashford. Seriously, if your doing a job like digging out for a patio, you end up with loads. Which I can take 90kg a day all year, but not just a whole load in one trip. I hate the dump. I may refuse to pay full value council tax in lieu of the fact they are restricting my use of council services.

Having managed household waste sites I can see both sides.

The problem is that in trying to combat the huge problem of illegal trade waste the authorities continually change and adapt their policies which just confuses everyone and seems restrictive to the taxpayer.

Mostly the site staff are just doing what they are told and remember they are putting up with abuse, confrontation and sometimes physical violence on a regular basis.

Ours is very close and generally ok. But when wife and I took a very large, but very light bag of hedge trimmings we asked for a bit of help lifting it into the compactor. Our problem is we are both quite short and lifting the bag over the front and then tipping it was proving hard. So we asked one of the guys for help - 6'ft plus guy, heavily built - but was told 'no if I hurt my back I don't get compensation'!! I must say wife was very rude to him. He walked off looking very sheepish.