car tax

roadkill

Right all i'm after some advice about trading my car in with tax still on it , I have tried calling the dvla but its says busy and cuts you straight off and the other number is automated which is no help.

So my mrs has bought a new car and traded my car in , it still has the old tax disk in which is valid to 06/15, I have filled in the log book and sent it off to the dvla but do I need to cancel the tax under the new law or do I do nothing if that makes sense?

many thanks

Jamie

I believe that you will automatically get any remaining full months back - i.e. June's, after you send in the log book saying you have sold the car. The new owner will have to tax it from the time they buy/bought it. There is no transfer of road fund anymore.

Edited by MrM

I don't follow. This way is surely better for anyone selling as you get an immediate refund of any full months?

not if you sell your car to someone on the 2nd day of the month, they keep the rest of that month. The dvla will make millions from this"loose change", not bad for a quango.

not if you sell your car to someone on the 2nd day of the month, they keep the rest of that month. The dvla will make millions from this"loose change", not bad for a quango.

Estimated it is costing the motorist (yet again) some £40M due to the new system............Thieving ******

Not only that, but if you buy a car towards the end of the month and tax it, the tax starts from the start of that month. So you've purchased 12 months tax but are only getting 11 months out of it.

Edited by Cannon

All correct just been through this luckily the garage I bought nrw car from chucked in 6 months tax. Annoying not having a disc as you dont know if your new car is actualy taxed and it might not pop up online for a couple of days so you think they might not of done it

ANY FULL MONTH..,,

So sell on the 1st and lose that month (insert sad smile but can't as on my phone)

I get that but the system would only ever give you full months refund. The only loss as it were is to a purchaser losing the 28 days remaining not to the existing owner

Not only that, but if you buy a car towards the end of the month and tax it, the tax starts from the start of that month. So you've purchased 12 months tax but are only getting 11 months out of it.

This is why it's best to buy a car on the first of the month ;)

I don't follow. This way is surely better for anyone selling as you get an immediate refund of any full months?

It's the fact that the government in effect has 2 lots of road fund money for the month when a car changes hand - as an example lets say your road fund is £120

You sell your car on 16th May, and it was taxed till end of September - you get back the 4 FULL months (June.July, August, September) - the government keeping the money for the whole of May - £12.

The new owner taxes it straight away, but will have to tax from 1st May - thus another £12 to the government for May.

So if you imagine how many cars are sold and bought each month .....

Edited by MrM

It's the fact that the government in effect has 2 lots of road fund money for the month when a car changes hand - as an example lets say your road fund is £120

You sell your car on 16th May, and it was taxed till end of September - you get back the 4 FULL months (June.July, August, September) - the government keeping the money for the whole of May - £12.

The new owner taxes it straight away, but will have to tax from 1st May - thus another £12 to the government for May.

So if you imagine how many cars are sold and bought each month .....

Oh no I agree that it does seem unfair, all I was saying is that as the existing owner your position has always been the same, in that if you apply for a refund you only ever got the whole months back.

In your example the Government only get £10 but thats semantics I appreciate.

Edited by LondonLuke