Dog in ewes and lambs

Your talking absolute rubbish.

It least if you are going to be insulting, back it up with what I have posted that you think is rubbish. Your advice was go ahead all will be OK shoot it. A person who has been there done that posted that he shot a dog and was by law entitled to shoot the dog, But it still cost him hassle time and money before it was resolved.

I think his advice stay out of it unless it's your sheep is better advice than any you have given. His could prevent people getting into trouble, yours could get people into trouble. I know whose advice I would be taking.

U honestly think it is ok for ur dogs to give the sheep a 'wee chase' but would get upset if someone's a bit rude to u and tells u off about it and warns u off the future consequences.

Most responsible dog owners would be so ashamed and to busy apologising rather than thinking about making a complaint

I missed the bit about the dog chasing sheep. Maybe you could look at the original post and post the quote where the dog as chasing sheep. ? If my dog was chasing sheep, and the farmer approached me and warned me what the quinconces could be then I would apologise. If a stranger came up to me that wasn't the farmer and didn't own the land and said he would shoot my dog if it chased them, as happened in this case. I would be ringing the police. I would see that as threatening behaviour.

Edited by ordnance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a stranger came up to me that wasn't the farmer and didn't own the land and said he would shoot my dog if it chased them, as happened in this case. I would be ringing the police. I would see that as threatening behaviour.

Good luck with that.

That response says it all for me.

Good. Hopefully it wasn't too complicated for you.

Good luck with that.

Are you saying the police wouldn't have to investigate a complaint by a member of the public, of a total stranger stopping them and saying he would destroy their property / dog using a firearm if he sees the dog on a property again. A property that he did not own or have any responsibility for, which is basically what happened. You are not doing your credibility any good if you think that. As long as they don't get the highly trained armed response to destroy the animal . :rolleyes:

Two police firearms officers who allegedly beat an injured deer to death with a ... Richard Hartley-Parkinson for Metro.co.ukTuesday 16 Dec 2014 12:03 pm ... The two men, understood to be Andrew Pittilla and Brian Clewlow, had been sent to destroy the animal after it was hit by a ... should be fired from their cushy job

A police constable and an acting sergeant blasted a cow eight times with a rifle and four times with a shotgun during a 'humane destruction' in Stockton-on-Tees in August last year.

Thirty police officers, an arsenal of guns and a lion expert... all to catch two dangerous dogs

More than 30 police officers in riot gear surround a suburban house. Some are carrying rifles.

But this was not a deadly stand-off with an armed gang or a lone gunman.

Instead the huge police operation was aimed at two dogs. It went on for 30 hours and is estimated to have cost £30,000.

Edited by ordnance

There are no grey areas as D H says , follow the law , if you are likely to be needing to deal with this issue carry a copy with you as a reminder of the laws

So disregard the advice of the farmer, that legally shot a dog worrying his sheep. He had a civil case brought against him, he won the case but still had to spend time and money In court defending his actions. The original poster does not own the land has no responsibility for the land or sheep, but you are saying shoot the dog everything will be OK. Your crystal ball is working better than mine. Everyone knows that a farmer can legally shoot a dog worrying his sheep, but as you say certain conditions have to be met to keep it legal. You can't rely on the police not having a clue about firearms, like some are.

Edited by ordnance

So if you have permission to shoot on a farmers land and whilst your there you witness a dog ripping apart his livestock you will stand by and let it happen.

Good for you.

I never said that, I would do all I could to stop the attack, would I shoot the dog I don't know but people should be aware of the possible negative consequences. . The dog in question was not attacking sheep and in the original question he said he told the dog owner he would shoot the dog if he thought harm was going to be done the sheep. There is a difference in that and watching sheep being ripped apart and doing nothing. I think we will have to leave it up to individuals to make that decision if they see sheep being attacked. :)

I had a quick look at the animal act and there is one word within the protecting livestock that makes it a very grey area.the word is reasonable.you are allowed to shoot a dog that is attacking livestock as long as all other reasonable methods have been tried.so my advice would be stay out of it.people look upon their pets as children and will go to great lengths and cost to protect them.and in today's society of litigation the cost of defence could mean the end of your shooting.