Shooting too left on pattern plate

mk70

The pattern plate has done its job, its identified a fault. First thing to try is another shotgun.

Guns don't always shoot to point of aim and both barrels often don't shoot to the same point of aim

but well done, you know now more than 99% of shooters who never pattern test their guns

You don't say at what distance. However, this could be caused by a multitude of sins - bad mount, eye dominance, comb height - the list is endless. You may just need some help. You could help yourself initially by shooting (shooting, not aiming), say, three shots at a target from 16 yards. The theory (so there'll be some discrepancy) is that your eye is one yard from the muzzle so an error of 1" at 16 yards equates to 1/16" in cast at the comb. Use tight choke and check the difference between the point of 'aim' and the pattern centre. The problem is is that if all else is well and the theory is anywhere near close in practise then you could be looking at some 3/8" bend.

Just been made aware of Vince's post and agree entirely.

Hi, First piece of advice , find yourself a good instructor, one who regularly and competently fits guns. A fitting Plate is taken at 16 yds a pattern plate at approx 30 , the two are very different.

As has been mentioned the possible reasons for your " issue" are many and varied and it is not possible to make sound judgements on here , as I first said find a good instructor.

Not sure of your location but let me know and I might be able to suggest someone

I was given some good advice recently. Close your eyes and shoulder the gun, then open them. If the bead isn't perfectly aligned the gun doesn't fit you. I wish I'd known that when I bought my first shotgun.

That is very good advice, as long as you do it a few timed to mske sure you're doing it right !

My problem now is that I have a gun that doesn't fit me at all but as I know exactly how to compensate I can shoot it really well. So now when I shoot guns that fit me it damages my shooting with my regular gun!

I would of thought a lot of us have to manage with adapting our self to our guns. Having them adjusted is damn expensive

Shooting too left on pattern plate (12" from point )would a adjustable comb be enough or would it be better to have a bit more cast on stock ? Any advice please

Where are you?

There are many people on here that "really do know" what they are talking about and could help you.

Where are you?

There are many people on here that "really do know" what they are talking about and could help you.

So are you saying that everyone else who has offered a opinion does not know what they are talking about because they have not bothered to get a BASC coaching badge or some other qualification ?

So are you saying that everyone else who has offered a opinion does not know what they are talking about because they have not bothered to get a BASC coaching badge or some other qualification ?

I don't think that is what he is saying, I think he means that there are many people who could help in person if the op was local to one of them.

No I am not.

I was agreeing with Welsh warrior, that the thread was being taken off course.

There are a lot of PW people with and without shooting qualifications all of whom have a fountain of knowledge that is well worth tapping into.

Many of us have benefitted from the contribution that the Massive PW have collectively placed on numerous threads.

I work with many people who have no formal qualification's, but have a wealth of experience and knowledge, I learn from them, every one is worth listening to.

Edited by bakerboy

I cannot find the thread/comment where WW states he will have to agree to dis agree.

I am happy to make a public apology to who ever it was .

My comment was meant to confirm or enforce the fact that there are lots of people on Pigeon Watch that know what they are talking about.

The word "Really" I can see came across as a slight, it was not intended.

I am used to digs from fenboy, whether it be the car I choose to drive or anything else, maybe I have offended him in the past who knows?

Life is too short to have that sort or memory or have I taken this too personally.

My aim on Pigeon Watch is to be helpful if I can.

Edited by bakerboy

Thanks for clearing that up .

I am glad that you can recognise that a formal qualification is not always required to be able to do something well .

That said I do normally advise someone on here at least once or twice a week to go for some lessons as it is by far the best way to set off on the right foot and usually the quickest to iron out any problems.

I cannot find the thread/comment where WW states he will have to agree to dis agree.

I am happy to make a public apology to who ever it was .

My comment was meant to confirm or enforce the fact that there are lots of people on Pigeon Watch that know what they are talking about.

The word "Really" I can see came across as a slight, it was not intended.

I am used to digs from fenboy, whether it be the car I choose to drive or anything else, maybe I have offended him in the past who knows?

Life is too short to have that sort or memory or have I taken this too personally.

My aim on Pigeon Watch is to be helpful if I can.

Terry please find these digs I have made about you or the car you drive and post them up.

From memory all I did was give to someone who asked, my brother in laws opinion of great wall trucks with him being a technician for the franchise .

I even said that that was his opinion and I know nothing from personal experience .

I may along with many others had a go at you about the shooting of 100s of pigeon to leave rotting in standing crops as you did not pick them , but as far as I am aware that is it , and I am entitled to my opinion on that subject

I have and never have had anything against you personally , I expressed my support during your wifes illness and my pleasure at the good news that later followed , I have commented on the numerous good turns you have done people on this forum more times than I can remember .

So please don't try and paint me as some sort of bullying ogre.

Edited by fenboy