Shooting too left on pattern plate

mk70

Terry please find these digs I have made about you or the car you drive and post them up.

From memory all I did was give to someone asked my brother in laws opinion of great wall trucks with him being a technician for the franchise .

I even said that that was his opinion and I know nothing from personal experience .

I may along with many others had a go at you about the shooting of 100s of pigeon to leave rotting in standing crops as you did not pick them , but as far as I am aware that is it , and I am entitled to my opinion on that subject

I have and never have had anything against you personally , I expressed my support during your wifes illness and my pleasure at the good news that later followed , I have commented on the numerous good turns you have done people on this forum more times than I can remember .

So please don't try and paint me as some sort of bullying ogre.

Point well made and taken on board

Bad day may be

end of subject

Thanks for clearing that up .

I am glad that you can recognise that a formal qualification is not always required to be able to do something well .

That said I do normally advise someone on here at least once or twice a week to go for some lessons as it is by far the best way to set off on the right foot and usually the quickest to iron out any problems.

“Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught”.

Oscar Wilde

I have no great knowledge of this subject. However I would have thought that shooting so far left at such a close range indicates an ill fitting gun.

As for 'compensating' when it is known that a gun does not fit, just get a gun that does fit.

I have no great knowledge of this subject. However I would have thought that shooting so far left at such a close range indicates an ill fitting gun.

As for 'compensating' when it is known that a gun does not fit, just get a gun that does fit.

Wise words :good:

If you want a "quick check".......lay the shotgun open on something steady and bend down and eye sight it (thro' the bead) and move it onto a small target at ...say 20yds...then once it is steady on that point, move your head and sight thro the barrell ..and see if it lines up with what you have sighted with the bead......there will be a slight difference between top and bottom barrell or left and right , but not enough to make any difference..........some guns.....autos sometimes have a tendency to shoot high.....................whether that is buy design or making it i dont know......

manufactures dont sell guns that dont throw shot where they are sighted....if they did everyone would know about it and they would be out of buisness........

What I have found is that 90% of fit comes down to the angle of the comb. I have a long neck and so most double guns shoot high for me because when shooting instinctively I am not looking flat down the rib I am looking slightly above it so they are actually pointing higher than the bead. Semi autos and pumps usually shoot flat for me because they tend to have a lower comb.

In my view any decent over and under should shoot better than any semi auto on the market if it fits you as it will be far better balanced. It just tends to be semi autos have a lower comb and so are more likely to fit you.

Edited by srspower

I was given some good advice recently. Close your eyes and shoulder the gun, then open them. If the bead isn't perfectly aligned the gun doesn't fit you. I wish I'd known that when I bought my first shotgun.

Never heard of that before......but sounds really good sense....

I was given some good advice recently. Close your eyes and shoulder the gun, then open them. If the bead isn't perfectly aligned the gun doesn't fit you. I wish I'd known that when I bought my first shotgun.

Sorry but I would completely discount that advice in relation to a shotgun , upon opening your eyes you would still need someone else to confirm as to where the gun sits in relation to your eyes and this is not set in stone once the Gun starts to acquire a target

If you want a "quick check".......lay the shotgun open on something steady and bend down and eye sight it (thro' the bead) and move it onto a small target at ...say 20yds...then once it is steady on that point, move your head and sight thro the barrell ..and see if it lines up with what you have sighted with the bead......there will be a slight difference between top and bottom barrell or left and right , but not enough to make any difference..........some guns.....autos sometimes have a tendency to shoot high.....................whether that is buy design or making it i dont know......

manufactures dont sell guns that dont throw shot where they are sighted....if they did everyone would know about it and they would be out of buisness........

As I'm sure you are aware , most modern O/u s are regulated so as to shoot 60/40 at point of aim, this may vary slightly between manufacturers, the current quality of barrels means we see more and more shotguns not shooting anywhere near to point of aim and as to convergence this continues to get worse.

Right handed,left eye shut (left eye dominant) missing straight driven type targets

This is a common problem for those shooting driven targets with an eye closed, the cause being that once the barrels eclipse the target visual contact is lost which then produces a number of different reactions , none of them conducive to hitting the target . Lots of options to overcome this , but get a good instructor and he should be able to help

Sorry but I would completely discount that advice in relation to a shotgun , upon opening your eyes you would still need someone else to confirm as to where the gun sits in relation to your eyes and this is not set in stone once the Gun starts to acquire a target

Nope, it works well. I tried it, took a step back, tripped over the dog and dropped the gun breaking the stock. Had to have a new one and now the gun shoots..................

Thats not true, many cheap sxs are 'crosseyed' as they call it, and a few expensive ones too. More than you would think but hopefully not enough that the owner would ever notice. It all depends on how accurately they joined the two barrels together and how straight they fixed the rib. A lot of these jobs are just done on a bench, not in a high tech factory

Modern manufacturing may have improved things but anything made by the hands of man will have its faults.

Even the best double barrelled Express rifles made by Holland and Holland will shoot to different points of aim with each barrel.

As I'm sure you are aware , most modern O/u s are regulated so as to shoot 60/40 at point of aim, this may vary slightly between manufacturers, the current quality of barrels means we see more and more shotguns not shooting anywhere near to point of aim and as to convergence this continues to get worse.

didnt know things were getting that poor...............ive always had "much older guns"...that were proberly better made ...so the problem has never affected me .....