I'ts Time to Migrate

Friday out shooting again, after seven farms with peas growing the most birds we found were thirty . We also looked for clover , rape and linseed . We decided to go back to the thirty we found on peas and give it a go. My regular readers may remember us shooting 120 on rape when two other shooters were on the peas this is the same farm. We drove down the track and watched the field the thirty birds we had seen had now turned into ten woodies and twelve stock doves. As we watched the field a Disco 3 came down the track with a shooter in it . he informed DB that he had dropped his mate off in the top corner and he was going to shoot the dell . DB agreed and told him we would shoot the far edge. Now this is a thirty acre field so we were confident that we could shoot some birds, so we drove round to the far end of the field and set up. The other two shooters were on the top end of the field in opposite corners . We had the wind and sun off our backs with the decoys close in on the edge of the field under two oak trees just on the edge of the shade. The first one in came and landed in the pattern , I clapped and DB shot and this moved approx forty birds out of the perimeter trees. We watched the other shooters and due to there positions on the field the birds were passing behind them and to the side as they could not get in to the decoy pattern due to the wind direction. They did have some shots but we did not see any birds drop. I know that it is difficult as the bird is hit before we hear the sound of the shot , the one guy walked out to his pattern a few times I presume to retrieve birds. They stayed for approx two hours and left. We continued to shoot and packed up at 18.00 we had started at 15.00 and picked up fifty eight birds .

Now anone who has read my posts over the years knows that I stop shooting at this time of year as it is difficult to decoy birds with the food table so great also only fifty percent of your birds are flying due to the others sitting on nests so flightlines are reduced. Thats one reason, but the main reason is that annually I drive down to Greece to enjoy the sun etc, this year I'm away for three months so this is " The Last Post " for a while.

What I would ask is please post your results as I enjoy reading them on my Ipad enjoying the free WiFi at the local bar , forcing myself to drink beer to to prevent Dehydration?????. What I would say is if you enjoy reading posts make a comment or even start a topic. We are all shooting people and it make it a lot interesting if you hear the other side of a discussion or a method that you think may work.

To you all on PW have a great summer and I will be reporting on the stubbles when I return.

5abad0a6-03c5-4b71-bcb3-e746f20bd8c1_zps

Imagine this scenario. Some poor unsuspecting Barman in a Greek tavern. The only customer is PC.

The only experience the Greek has had of shooting is when he shot a Cuckoo, a Montague's Harrier and a Kestrel all on migration several years previously. Try as he might he just cannot get under those flight lines from the North African coast.

PC has his new toy with him - the latest Ipad. On this Ipad he has a collation of photoshop images of him and hundreds of pigeons. He shows it to the Barman who cannot believe what he is seeing. Many on PW feel the same.

It is going to be a long three months in Greece.