Rifle Shooting Moving Targets

I have just found myself arguing with an American on youtube, a friend of a very successful channel, and he claims to regularly shoot fox and deer at 100 - 200 yards that are running and thinks that is okay. What are your thoughts?

I think it is highly irresponsible, inhumane and probably ********. But am i wrong?

If you don't believe him ask for video eveidence!

He does chat type videos, a friend of James Yeager. They are 'tactical' types not hunters (on cam) hence why I am skeptical of his claims. But if they are true, I don't care how good of a shot he thinks he is.

No guarantee of a correct shot placement with a moving target imho

Exactly.

Don't they shoot running boar and deer on the continent? It doesn't appeal to me but they often do things differently in other countries.

I think there is a running boar target at one of the Bisley disciplines, but have no idea if it's a precursor to the real thing or simply a discipline in its own right.

When nephew was in N. Zealand he went out goat shooting; when they came across some the two locals he was with simply started blasting away. He said they were blowing bits off them form around 100+ yards away and when they'd finished asked him why he hadn't fired. He said it was quite an awkward situation and when he explained it wasn't what he was used to they laughed and told him they were pests, and that was that.

Mate also said he was watching some youtube footage of long range shooting in N. America recently. Two blokes were sniping mule deer etc from ranges of around 800 yards across valleys and gullies in mountainous terrain and no effort was made to follow up on those animals shot.

Again, not my cup of tea, but there you go.

Edited by Scully

Not sure about 100 and certainly not 200, but I have seen some very clean kills with running shots using a rifle.

Always going to contentious, but if you practice on targets until you are happy it's not a lot different to shooting game with a shotgun.

Not sure about 100 and certainly not 200, but I have seen some very clean kills with running shots using a rifle.

Always going to contentious, but if you practice on targets until you are happy it's not a lot different to shooting game with a shotgun.

Concur, as long as you're competent.

Don't they shoot running boar and deer on the continent? It doesn't appeal to me but they often do things differently in other countries.

I think there is a running boar target at one of the Bisley disciplines, but have no idea if it's a precursor to the real thing or simply a discipline in its own right.

Yes they do, loads of them.

There are two running targets at the BSRC @ Bisley, 50 yard rimfire and 100 yard centrefire - you can shoot them on the BASC range days.

It's good practice but in the same way deer don't pose broadside waiting to be shot, not all driven boar present like that.

Depends what you call running . I have shot and killed deer clean at up to 100 yards that were walking and trotting . I have never raised a rifle at deer that were in full flight . Swinging a rifle at a deer in full flight would be extremely dangerous and irresponsible . I did used to shoot the running deer targets at bizley many years ago and was quite adept at it . Remember ,if you are shooting at deer that are moving ,then you are likely to be shooting free hand . I would always choose to shoot from a rested position than I would free hand .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

Cannot deny the level of skill involved, but am I alone in feeling uneasy at him taking single shots at a number of boars running in line?

No problem with him taking boars on the run, but was he certain the ones hit didn't run off wounded whilst he was looking for his second target? If there were other shooters there watching for that who could deliver a second shot or track the wounded beast then not so bad.

More than happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable and skilled in this area if my thoughts are off base.

Cannot deny the level of skill involved, but am I alone in feeling uneasy at him taking single shots at a number of boars running in line?

No problem with him taking boars on the run, but was he certain the ones hit didn't run off wounded whilst he was looking for his second target? If there were other shooters there watching for that who could deliver a second shot or track the wounded beast then not so bad.

More than happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable and skilled in this area if my thoughts are off base.

I thought that too, there are points where if you freeze the video you can see that if they were stationary targets and were deer and you said 'fire' on your DSC1 exam you would definitely fail ...

Guest stevo

We tend to judge every shooter by our own standards here in the UK. BIG BIG MISTAKE . Most European hunters Finnish. Austrian. German ect ect can shoot live quarry like you have never seen let alone dreamt of. I have shot in Europe a few times over the years and belive my when I say us so called hunters over here in good old England are nowt but mere children in comparison. We should not judge on something we DO NOT as a nation of hunters have the skill to do ourselves

P.s Imo ;-)

Edited by stevo

I just linked that as I have seen it many times before so didn't bother watching it, but in one film (possibly this one) the best shot he takes is the follow up on a wounded pig through the trees.

All the others die pretty well on the spot. I seriously wouldn't doubt any element of his ability.

I just linked that as I have seen it many times before so didn't bother watching it, but in one film (possibly this one) the best shot he takes is the follow up on a wounded pig through the trees.

All the others die pretty well on the spot. I seriously wouldn't doubt any element of his ability.

I didn't watch it all the way through I admit. That level of ability is something I can't really comprehend and if he is processing the information fast enough to know that he can move on to the next beast with absolute confidence then fair enough.

I can only admire the level of skill on display, natural ability honed to perfection and completely at one with his rifle.

As someone else said already it all depends what you call running. I have shot birds flying with air guns back in my youth and it's pretty obvious wild boar can be successfully hit and killed at closish ranges but 200 yards at a running deer ? Not if you have an ounce of humane intent. What he probably means is that he shoots at running fox and deer all the time and sometimes gets lucky with a heart/lung shot, fox of course may well expire fairly quickly even with poorly place bullets.

Off hand accurate placement of a bullet on a running (not walking) deer under field conditions would be near miraculous at 200 yards. He must have super human reactions and eyes to even be able to pick the deer up in his scope quickly enough.

Walking is fine supported, actual running will always be off hand.

If you practice a lot, then practice some more, then shoot boar several times a month then practice some more, one day you may just be able to do this - but then again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43aF4R0h40

Wish I could shoot like that. Very impressive.

I do shoot close range with a rimfire at moving targets (rabbits). Can't claim every shot is well placed but I doubt many can on a standing target either.

100-200yards and running is beyond my skills and I wouldn't try.

I have no doubt a competent shot could make kills at that range. Comes down to practice though and therefore i doubt many people are practicing running shots at 200 yards.

Even then the ones who are, it takes something else again when its mixed in with the excitement of the moment on a driven shoot.

• 2 weeks later...