some advice please!

Well after popping to the gunroom this morning with my newly acquired license, I've arrived home with a new miroku mk38 sported. Its come with 2 internal chokes as standard which are marked full and skeet, that sounded a bit of a strange combo to me so onsid the box it also comes with 3 in vector plus external chokes so I've put them in in mod and imp cyl which I believe is 1\4 and 1\2. Is this a good combo or have I ballsed it up?? I've put the 1\2 in the top barrell???? Tried a few carts of gamebore clearpigeon 30 6s through it before and hit ****** all. Got a lot to learn I think!

Yes the choke you have put in will suit 95% of situations , most people will fit the more open choke in the bottom barrel as you have done.

You have invested a good wedge in a new gun so another few quid on some lessons would be money well spent.

I have used a 1/4 & 1/2 combo most of my life till recently watching my son powdering clays at 45 yards using skeet & 1/4 in his Winchester- I have also noticed that the clubs coach uses skeet skeet for all sporting clays. Made me wonder if tight chokes are really needed in 95 % of the targets we encounter- wildfowling etc are obviously different scenarios.

I do agree its my skill rather Than a choke issue atm! Will look into lessons shortly at the local clayground, think I'm struggling to mount it 100% at the moment. Its a mk38 sporter that has a small white bead on the end of the barrels and one half way down, I take it that ti be aiming correctly my line of sight down the barrel should keep them to lined with each other? I was playing before and felt that I could only get the end one properly into sight which made me think the gun would be shooting higher than I was aiming. Ive lifted it where it meets my shoulder and my cheek now fits nicer and brings both the sight dots into line. Still missed everything though but I suspect the wind didn't help today, few birds around but all very high in the sky on the wind so didn't try at most. I must say though I was surprised how much recoil I could feel, ive got gamebore clear pigeon 30 6,s at the moment

Edited by gaz0203

You mustn't aim a shotgun. You'll miss if you do. It's not like a rifle. You have to mount it straight, and consistently, then just point it.

Have you ever had a lesson? Definitely need to find yourself a good coach and just to a couple or three hours on the clays checking your gun fits and learning to mount it. The rest basically comes naturally with practice.

But you do need that first.

gaz0203

Gunfit is a major factor of your shooting performance, if your on target at a clay ground, with average distance sporting clays the difference in chokes from open to tight will only show as either clipping a bit off or dusting the target. you will still hit most. pigeon however, you could be striking but not bringing them down. choke is important for live quarry if your using a no. 6 you will need 50% of your pellets concentrated in a 30inch circle at 35 yards around 140 so your choke may need to be tighter.

if you are completely missing your targets it could be gunfit or your interpretation of where to point the gun.

Get a lesson if you can with a recommended coach and get the gunfit checked, a mistake at the gun of a few millimeteres can be a metre at the target.

Flycoy

Thanks for the reply's. I have minimal experience so starting to learn in the field as such. All your help is greatly received and take on board. Hdav I'm inbetween Oswestry and Welshpool, and when you say they should look like an 8 that makes a lot of sense to me

Gaz,

as you might have seen on another subject, Bakerboy and me ( mainly Bakerboys hard work) have managed to sort a intro to pigeon course in the north west so why not come along, we will include sometime for gunfit/ eye dominance during the day so we could help you out. only £45 for a BASC member so cheaper than a lesson probably. we will also be with you while you shoot from the hide so will help with technique too.

will be sorting the dates out soon and am sure Bakerboy will be posting them on here as soon as he can. watch this Space!!

Flycoy

Thanks for the reply's. I have minimal experience so starting to learn in the field as such. All your help is greatly received and take on board. Hdav I'm inbetween Oswestry and Welshpool, and when you say they should look like an 8 that makes a lot of sense to me

I do hope you aren't taking pot shots at passing birds? Respect for ones quarry is important. Learn on the clays....

MY advice would be book a lesson with Beretta (Brian Clegg at Fauxdegla) or Welshwarrior (Daf and Garlands, Tamworth) both a bit of a trek but well worth the trip. Nearer you have Mid Wales Shooting Ground (Caersws) and WMSG (Hodnet) near Market Drayton which are closer. all will have instructors available to ***** gunfit and take you for some lessons.

Where did you buy the gun?

Actually depending where you are Fauxdegla might be less than an hour away working on you being in Llanymynech,

For info: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/278760-discounted-shooting-lessons/

Edited by HDAV

No of course I wasn't, as said earlier in the post ' Still missed everything though but I suspect the wind didn't help today, few birds around but all very high in the sky on the wind so didn't try at most.'. IMA novice but still understand the principles of what we do. I'm just after some pointers to help me along my way to become a better shot

No of course I wasn't, as said earlier in the post ' Still missed everything though but I suspect the wind didn't help today, few birds around but all very high in the sky on the wind so didn't try at most.'. IMA novice but still understand the principles of what we do. I'm just after some pointers to help me along my way to become a better shot

If the bird doesn't come down it doesn't always mean it was a clean miss.

I suppose haimwood in llandrinio is my nearest.

Ok its your lucky day, i am on holiday at shrewsbury for two weeks was going to go to haimwood this week or the bog at minsterley weather permitting, i even fancy the one near wrexham and dont ask me how to spell it faux or something like that. Could meet up. pm me your mobile and see what we can sort out.