Wildfowling in the States or Canada

grahamch

Some help please, have been salmon fishing in BC for the past few autumns and would like to try a trip waildfowling to the states or Canada.

Have read a bit about over there and seen the usual Youtube footage.

Any suggestions how to go about organising a trip, guides to try etc.?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

First figure out what you want to shoot and how. Do you want geese in a field over decoys, ducks in timber, open water decoy/pass shooting on a big water, etc. That will influence where you go. Then look at when you can go. If you can only go in October, then I wouldn't advise going too far south. Put those two together and you'll start to have the right boundaries for the trip. That should give you a couple general areas to start your research and look at guides.

In terms locations to think about, pothole ducks in Alberta/Saskatchewan, great plains geese over stubble decoys in South/North Dakota and Alberta/Sask, Great lakes and Minnesota big water duck decoying, Flooded timber/corn fields in Arkansas/Mississippi/Louisana, and Seashore ducks in Texas (Galveston Bay) are all highlight trips. Snow geese are another option if you want to shoot a hundred birds in a week. For me, flooded timber down south is what I want to do more than anything. Kinda like roost shooting pigeons crossed with decoying ducks. Look up some youtube if you've never seen it.

thanks

rick

• 3 weeks later...

First figure out what you want to shoot and how. Do you want geese in a field over decoys, ducks in timber, open water decoy/pass shooting on a big water, etc. That will influence where you go. Then look at when you can go. If you can only go in October, then I wouldn't advise going too far south. Put those two together and you'll start to have the right boundaries for the trip. That should give you a couple general areas to start your research and look at guides.

In terms locations to think about, pothole ducks in Alberta/Saskatchewan, great plains geese over stubble decoys in South/North Dakota and Alberta/Sask, Great lakes and Minnesota big water duck decoying, Flooded timber/corn fields in Arkansas/Mississippi/Louisana, and Seashore ducks in Texas (Galveston Bay) are all highlight trips. Snow geese are another option if you want to shoot a hundred birds in a week. For me, flooded timber down south is what I want to do more than anything. Kinda like roost shooting pigeons crossed with decoying ducks. Look up some youtube if you've never seen it.

thanks

rick

You've sold them all to me - unfortunately my better half doesn't share my enthusiasm.

Lotto win needed.