Dog Kennel and Run

RedRobin

At last I have a chance to build an outside Kennel and Run. :)

So a few initial questions before I start the groundwork ....

The proposed location of the Kennel won't allow the drainage / wash out to go to an existing foul drain.

Ive no problem picking up the solids , but do any other dog owners with outside kennels was down to a soak away ?

Concrete. I'm going with reinforced raft , Trowel finish with slight fall to a concrete full width gully . What sealers are available to seal or daft question is there a additive or concrete mix more suitable ?

What sort of area would be needed to house 2 Dogs , do I go individual kennels or space for 2 ( Yes I know about the birds and the bees LOL )

If say Dog and Bitch whats the recommended area for each Kennel is best ? ( Lets go with a Lab size Dogs as it covers Cockers , my 1st choice , but who knows )

More Questions to follow obviously :lol:

Many Thanks :good:

Rich

Edited by RedRobin

I am in the process of building a new kennel , the base was put down today.

My water will be going to a soakaway via a grated drainage channel .

Mine is being built for two labs ,the base size for the kennel I will be buying is 10' x 10' 6" I have allowed another 18" on the length to form a path in front.

Be interrested in wot folk say as i will be asking some similar questions later on in year.

I would say that unless ur ground is paticularly soft is there any real need to re-enforce the slab? Not really load bearing and the heaviest thing on it wil be a 30kg dog or a person. 1 or possibly 2 of my kennels might be lucky if concrete is 2" deep in places and just laid onto packed soil really and home mixed concrete with no additives/sealants, basically rough as anything and are still spot on dinae smell and not cracked (that may be good luck thou) I would not advise anyone to copy wot i have done but still spot on 8-10 years later so just trying to say it is possible to over engineer some parts, but prob better to have it stronger than i have made mine.

I'd leave plenty off fall thou, never does any harm

My kennels at moment go to a soakaway which is not big enough when it rains heavily and u wash kennels down but fine rest of time, but its catching the rain off probably 36ftx12ft of tin roof and some more concrete aswell, so possibly will depend on the size of the soakaway and ur soil (ie heavy clay might not work so well if at all)

Many bought kennels are 8x4 upwards, my 1's vary between 12-10x10ft, which is pretty big, and can fit 2 or 3 in each part. Prob handier/more adaptable having 2 seperate kennels, even design it so u can move the middle partion?.

Dunno if really need them that big, my dogs tend to sleep all day either in their boxes or on top of them

Edited by scotslad

IMO… I would go for 10x4 which gives 8x4 run and 4x2 sleeping box. One kennel that size is plenty big enough for two dogs, but if you are making two separate spaces I would make them both the same size.

Wouldn't get over excited about the concrete, as scotsad says its only for a dog or two. The slab under mine is 100mm on reasonable ground blinded with Type 1 but not reinforced, and that TBH is overkill, you would get away with 75mm - less and you're asking for it to crack.

I would worry more about the drainage, I used a fairly unsophisticated soakaway a few years ago and whilst you're happy to pick up solids wait until one of the dogs has a dose of the runs and hosing it out is the only option - the soakaway will smell...

If a soakaway is your only option make sure the runoff gets there through a gully or channel with a grate that will catch most of the hair, and make sure you can clean out your soakaway a couple of times a year and get to it with some disinfectant.

Nice One Chaps.. Lots of very good pointers ( Dog Pun not intended )

WGD ~ fair point regarding the Reinforcing , . spoke with builder , 100mm without on good prepared ground, so yes, thats a cost saving put towards the armoured cable to run down the garden.

Dogs ~ Yes mate, will be on my list ,

Thanks again chaps.

Ill post up photos if you like , from excavation to finish

I am in the process of building a new kennel , the base was put down today.

My water will be going to a soakaway via a grated drainage channel .

Mine is being built for two labs ,the base size for the kennel I will be buying is 10' x 10' 6" I have allowed another 18" on the length to form a path in front.

Thanks Fenboy, pretty much the size I have been working too.

Are you using galvanised run panels with a sleeping box , or something like this in Kit Form ~ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Kilburn-Apex-Dog-Run-and-Kennel-/121650652344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c52f1a4b8

WGD and Dogs ~ Whats your thoughts ?

Edited by RedRobin

How does ur drainage work?

Are the dogs on lino?

Will u not have problems in the future with the timber absorbing the urine and smelling?

It does look well thou but just wondering how it will last over time?

As i've said my kennels at mom are a random mix of wot ever scrap i had lying about, which have done the job fine.

But from now on i would always pay the extra for galv run sections and keep any timber to an absolute minimum.

Not entirely sure the design of mine yet but be outside runs with a block building with block built sleeping quaters. i think

How does ur drainage work?

Are the dogs on lino?

Will u not have problems in the future with the timber absorbing the urine and smelling?

It does look well thou but just wondering how it will last over time?

As i've said my kennels at mom are a random mix of wot ever scrap i had lying about, which have done the job fine.

But from now on i would always pay the extra for galv run sections and keep any timber to an absolute minimum.

Not entirely sure the design of mine yet but be outside runs with a block building with block built sleeping quaters. i think

Yes they are on Lino mate but we also put shavings down to,the dogs are only in the kennels when we go to work and bed at night as if we are in the house they are to mate