smoked sloe gin

bill425g6

Well, the smoked sloe gin turned out fantastic a 100% better than I would have ever thought. 3 of us had a tasting last night and it has a lovely smell and very smooth even for just being over a 1year old as I like mine 3yrs old.

Pesky pigeon if you email me your address Ill send you some.

Recipy

Cold smoke half a demijohn of ripe sloes in oak for 8/12hrs

3/4quarters of a bag of sugar in the demi

Add all the sloes ( put them in the freezer the night before and they will burst when thawing,saves you pricking them)

Top up with quality gin

Leave for 1 year in a dark place, strain and put through coffee filters

If you can leave it for a further 2yrs and it will be nectar

Ive never made smoked sloe gin and I couldn't find a recipe for it. Now I've tasted it Ill leave it for 2 more years and see what the difference is but it is well worth doing.

oh i like the sound of that... ive got m first batch of sloe gin on the go now after i had a load of frozen ones off a mate, cant wait to give it a go and smoked sounds even better

can you really wait 2 years? i dont think id have the patience for that

I have a cold smoker where I smoke Salmon etc, You can buy a Bradley smoker which you can smoke hot or cold I have a digital one which is excellent.

Iffy, Ive said this before, you make 3 demi johns leave for a year and filter, make one more demi and filter than in 1 yr and make another one. the first ones you made drink one each year and once you drink the 3rd one all the rest after that will be 3years old.

You could use a big tin, a dustbin,old fridges. I use oak sawdust in a oven tray and I have a smoke generator as well. Try and keep as much smoke contained if you can. The smoker I built myself is just a big box with sliding ventilators to control the amount of smoke. I don't know about a few hrs as this was the first time Ive tried it, I put them in with some Salmon I was smoking for 12hrs. It might well be that it only takes an hour but I don't honestly know and I can't find a recipe for it. Maybe liquid smoke in the demi might achieve the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds me! I have a bottle of Blackcurrant gin I made in 2012. I will have to hunt it out. Also have a 2013 Sloe gin somewhere.

They both sound like they will be very good especially the older one. I made some Rhubarb for the first time the other day anybody out there made any?

You should definitely make the smoked gin it was really smooth after 1 year lovely smell and taste cant wait until its 3yrs old as it will be ten times better.