22lr - reducing ricochets advice please

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say give it a go of the sticks and if you don't like it don't shoot. Mind you hitting the bunny is always a good way to stopping ricochets :good:

use quad sticks if not getting a firm rest

try CCI segs as well, at least then the mass of the bullet spinning off is a 1/3rd, although I found they wizzed off more regularly

but as above rabbit heads tend to stop bullets well!

My back stops were the sides of aircraft hangars 40ft high, and covered in earth and soil, this was shot off sticks and the door wing mirror. The bunnies had burrowed into the earth on the hangers and I would sit and wait for them to come out and then zap them at the bottom with the full hanger behind them, un nerving when a ricochet whizzes back past you !

ATB

Matt

Personal experience suggest to me you guys may be over reacting! The whistle you hear is from a severely miss shaped mangled chunk spinning enough to produce a whistle. It does not last long however.

It is another way energy is being converted. That and the increased air drag that must be to cause the whistle in the first place I doubt most go beyond 200yds!

To assume a whistling 22 bullet still has its original shape and under the original control of the rifling is folly!

The rate the whistle decreases is quite likely the rate the bullet is slowing by, as in fast!

You, Underdog, wrote almost exactly what I was going to write.

The small bullet has lost most of its energy by whacking into something solid - It is now misshapen and travelling at a fraction its original speed.

It is tumbling end over end and the air drag is constantly slowing it.

Readily admit that I wouldn't like to be struck by one but I think, with sensible handling, the .22 rimmy is fairly safe in most areas of farmland.

Have you tried the segmented ammo from cci?

Bit pricier than normal subs but on par with HMR

Still quiet as its subsonic

It was brought out to stop with the ricochet problem, the bullet is supposed to split on impact

:shaun:

And create multiple ricochet😄

Personal experience suggest to me you guys may be over reacting! The whistle you hear is from a severely miss shaped mangled chunk spinning enough to produce a whistle. It does not last long however.

It is another way energy is being converted. That and the increased air drag that must be to cause the whistle in the first place I doubt most go beyond 200yds!

To assume a whistling 22 bullet still has its original shape and under the original control of the rifling is folly!

The rate the whistle decreases is quite likely the rate the bullet is slowing by, as in fast!

I have plenty of personal experience too, Regardless, I gaurantee if you had as many richoquet as I do on my farm you WOULD reconsider using one, it restricts me to certain parts of the farm, so other than taking two rifles out, I'll stick to the HMR and err on the side of safety.

I keep meaning to get video footage of my HMR screaming off, there is at least one member here who can verify the HMR bouncing off, 3 out of 10 once whilst zeroing from the bonnet of the 4x4.

The common reason for concern fellers stems mostly from the sound but not all soft lead moderate velocity bullets do make a sound.

I remember shooting a rabbit through its head with a subbie a few years ago.

Behind it and about thirty yards away was half a 50gal drum used as a pheasant feeder. The bullet struck it. The rising bullet was silent however only put a shallow dent in the feeder.

Surprised I made a point of returning with an air rifle and sure enough it put a similar dent in the same drum.

So after passing through the rabbit and bouncing of turf that bullet had less than 12ft/lb

I do think the worst part new are the glances that make very little sound! The noisy ones are spent in my opinion.

That is why my 357 went, because of where I shoot now!

If you have 300yds of fall out range around you I would not be overly concerned. With my 357 I wanted double that!

Wymberly, what does the pooter say with the lowest BC possible and a silly velocity of 500?

Thank you.

U.

Wow, first off, I wasn't expecting this response and amount of advice gents so thank you all very much!

What I have taken from the thread is that, if anything, it's not necessarily just the audible ricochets that are the dangerous ones!

I have at least 200 yards in all of the fields where I shoot, bar one. Going on this premise, I'm going to give the lr another go this week and see how it goes. The ground isn't baked at the moment so now is as good a time as any!

As a side line, I do remember thinking that, for new shooters stepping up from air-rifles without any freely available guidance, there is a distinct lack of examples of 'in the field' backstops suitable for rimfires apart from the obvious 'don't shoot into hedges', 'don't shoot at skyline targets'. I suppose it is a very subjective topic. I know I would have liked to have had a read of such information had it have been available. Or maybe it already was and I didn't look hard enough!!

Edited by marnold

Guest Wilksy

I can back that up ! I'm new to shotguns but I've had air rifles for years, and I've been thinking about going for my fac and getting a rim fire, now I've got some decent ground. This topic has been a great insight ang given me plenty to think about, cheers everyone!

The .22lr is without doubt susceptible to ricochet so take car with your shots, hitting your quarry will go a long way to minimising, or removing, any ricochet chance.

The .22lr is by far the most popular civil calibre in the world, so it can't be all bad.

:good:

I must be very lucky I've put approx 2000 rounds through my rifle and had 1 ricochet that I can remember and that was down to my error but had plenty of back drop.

only pull the trigger when you know 100% you will hit your target.

I use Winchester subs as they are accurate and deform very well on impact.

Atb

I must be very lucky I've put approx 2000 rounds through my rifle and had 1 ricochet that I can remember and that was down to my error but had plenty of back drop.

Atb

Atb

Sounds like you have shot 2000 of something and never missed. Good shooting bud, wish i could shoot as good as you. :good:

Wow, first off, I wasn't expecting this response and amount of advice gents so thank you all very much!

What I have taken from the thread is that, if anything, it's not necessarily the audible ricochets that are the dangerous!

I have at least 200 yards in all of the fields where I shoot, bar one. Going on this premise, I'm going to give the lr another go this week and see how it goes. The ground isn't baked at the moment so now is as good a time as any!

As a side line, I do remember thinking that, for new shooters stepping up from air-rifles without any freely available guidance, there is a distinct lack of examples of 'in the field' backstops suitable for rimfires apart from the obvious 'don't shoot into hedges', 'don't shoot at skyline targets'. I suppose it is a very subjective topic. I know I would have liked to have had a read of such information had it have been available. Or maybe it already was and I didn't look hard enough!!

Hang on sunshine :-) I never said they are not dangerous! Just don't think they are going for a mile!

U.

Edited by Underdog

Hang on sunshine :-) I never said they are not dangerous! Just don't think they are going for a mile!

U.

I think you may have misread me. I said, and 100% agree with you, that they are all dangerous, not just the audible ones we hear and therefore aware of. Your posts have re-affirmed my concerns on how dangerous the 22lr can be, especially with it's tendency to bounce, but you have provided some good evidence that shows it is never clear cut on how much energy the bullet will be carrying once a ricochet occurs due to the infinite variables at play when the bullet strikes the backstop :good:

I wasn't taking your post as an "It's ok, they have no more energy than a sub 12ftlb pellet, after a ricochet", it was an informative post with some real world evidence that was gratefully received :)

Edited by marnold

The best thing u could try is set up a test somewhere that is safe and see wot u can do to encourage or restrict richochets, possibly try some of the segmental bullets, possibly ut some scrap tin/card behind ur range area where u expect bullet might bounce to. They just break up into 3 pieces so u end up with 3 pieces of shrarnel flying about, will never make a dangerous shot safe but might be a way to limit it ur ur case

I'm with a few others and not sure just how much energy they still carry and how far they will travel.

I know someone who stupidly thought it was a good idea to prop his target up against some old tractor tyres on a banking, as u can imagine not a very good idea, i don't think every round bounced but a lot did some flying over his head, the stupid ****** never figured it out till he took a richocet in the chest, said i wasnae sore just abit of a sting. I'd imagine that will be as powerfull a richocet as u will get as not dumped energy/deformed into a stone and will e a certain ammount of 'bounce' of the tyres yet not a lot of energy at 50m.

But sort of thing not to take chances with.

Have u no experienced 22lr mates that could take u out to show u theshots they would take? But better carrying on wot ur doing far better to be safe than sorry.

I got a slot on my ticket for an FAC air, still never bought 1 yet, due to price and running cost/ hassle but also cos boy in the shops says u get just as many richocet's of an FAC air as u do a 22lr, more to do with speed and wieght of bullet/pellet, a slow heavy bullet will always be more likely to bounce (no matter how its fired air or powder) than a faster more frangible bullet

I think you may have misread me. I said, and 100% agree with you, that they are all dangerous, not just the audible ones we hear and therefore aware of. Your posts have re-affirmed my concerns on how dangerous the 22lr can be, especially with it's tendency to bounce, but you have provided some good evidence that shows it is never clear cut on how much energy the bullet will be carrying once a ricochet occurs due to the infinite variables at play when the bullet strikes the backstop :good:

I wasn't taking your post as an "It's ok, they have no more energy than a sub 12ftlb pellet, after a ricochet", it was an informative post with some real world evidence that was gratefully received :)

Sorry mate, diddna want to sound flippant. :-)