My motorbike is dead!

SimpleSimon

Hi all,

Riding back from work today, suddenly the ignition cuts out, engine dies and I'm forced to pull the clutch in and coast down the dual carriageway until I find a lifesaving side road in just the right place.

The bike has power, lights come on, dials all work, etc. Fuses are all fine. But the bike will not start. There's not even a click from the solenoid. Can't be jump started and obviously won't bump start (or it wouldn't have stopped running in the first place). I've just had the bike recovered home, so does anybody have any ideas what the culprit might be?

It's a 1998 GSX600-F, carbs, no immobiliser or fancy electronic stuff to blame. Bike has been fine until now, no difficulty starting, nothing unusual.

Ironically I had just agreed to sell it! I don't think the buyer will want it now...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks both. Had a fiddle just now and got it started. Think it was probably the sidestand switch to blame, as the spring that pulls the stand up was a bit gunked up. I think I may have caught the stand slightly when changing gear (as it was very very slightly below its proper resting position) and moved it to just far enough down to kill the bike. As to why neither I nor the recovery man could start it again is a mystery. Maybe the switch was stuck and we had two coincidental problems making it look like one big one? Very odd!

anyway, I've duly cleaned all the cack off the spring and switch area. Bike has started several times since and switch gones in and out nicely...

I almost wish I'd found something worse now

Edited by SimpleSimon

First rule of thumb with an apparent dead ignition is to isolate any kill-switches, and. if that doesn't work, if you can, run a wire direct from the battery to the coil. That should at least get you home - unless of course the coil or the ignition trigger are frizzed