Japanese 4x4s

AdamSouthEast

I've had an X Trail for several years now. It's 12 yrs old, 130,000 on the clock and whilst I fully accept it's probably the most boring looking of them all it hasn't missed a beat and with diff lock will go anywhere, even on semi-off road tyres. MOTs are getting a little more expensive but overall running costs low. £229 comp insurance for past 3 years.

We had a similar budget last year and went for a Kia Sorento. We went for the 2.5 CRDI Auto XS, the XS is the step up from the base model but has quite a few extras inc leather seats. My wife uses the Kia during the week and loves it, it is very easy to drive and long journeys are comfortable. We mainly bought it for its towing abilities but have been impressed by how well it is a day to day car.

We have had a few 4x4s, Freelander, Terrano, Discovery and for the money the Sorento is by far the best all rounder. Reliability wise it has been great, there is a known issue with the fuel tanks but this was replaced FOC by Kia (the car is 12 years old) apart from that it has been 100% reliable. Fuel wise we get high 20s which for a heavy auto 4x4 is not bad going considering I do not drive like a grandad.

Others have suggested the Terrano. I had one for a year or so and my dad had it off me and still going strong with no problems 2 years later. They are a great truck and you get a lot for your money however they are very agricultural and I would not like one as my only car especially if coming from a C Class merc

Both Auto Express and Honest John said the same abut the Kia.

I've had an X Trail for several years now. It's 12 yrs old, 130,000 on the clock and whilst I fully accept it's probably the most boring looking of them all it hasn't missed a beat and with diff lock will go anywhere, even on semi-off road tyres. MOTs are getting a little more expensive but overall running costs low. £229 comp insurance for past 3 years.

I though the lock on the x- Trail locked it into 4wd rather than off or Auto select, correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't think it had a diff lock.

Edited by keg

correct it doesn't have a diff lock, only 4wd lock.

bar the turbo i have to say my xtrail hasn't had a single other fault - i've replace the track rod ends buts that's offroad wear and tear, it ain't a pretty beast, but it's fast on the roads, economical, pretty good offroad and ticks all the boxes for me.

(i still miss my dedicated Frontera SWD shooting wagon though, that went anway and i didn't care if it got dented or scratched!)

correct it doesn't have a diff lock, only 4wd lock.

bar the turbo i have to say my xtrail hasn't had a single other fault - i've replace the track rod ends buts that's offroad wear and tear, it ain't a pretty beast, but it's fast on the roads, economical, pretty good offroad and ticks all the boxes for me.

(i still miss my dedicated Frontera SWD shooting wagon though, that went anway and i didn't care if it got dented or scratched!)

We had a 54 plate before we got the Landcruiser and the the turbo let go, luckily in warranty. Other than that it was a great car.

LC was 8 today and passed its MOT!

I've had most, Toyota, LR series, LR defends, LR RR, Nissan, Suzuki, Daihatsu, Vauxhall/Opel, Isuzu, Ford, and even a ubiquitous Austin Gypsy at one time.

Japanese (and now Korean too) are by far the most reliable, and generally far better in fuel economy too.

Anything over 2 litres is going to drink juice (but you don't buy a 4x4 to be economical), so for the Japanese 3-3.5 litre models, expect 20-25 for petrol, and 26-36 for diesel.

The newer Models with the 2.0-2.5 litres will maybe even reach 40-50 mpg, BUT, tend not to have so much ground clearance, and are tested with road tyres, not chunky heavy 4x4 tyres. So take ANY mpg figures from manufactures with a tin of salt LOL.

I would go for a standard part time 4x4 like a terrano, vitara, etc, as there is less to go wrong with them.

Buy European made, and expect very heavy fuel consumption, and bad reliability

I have a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander. Cracking Vehicle.

Mitsi 2.3 , 6 Speed 175bhp diesel.

Actual 42-50mpg . Switchable 2WD , 4WD , Diff Lock.

Downside, Servicing Every 9k Miles, But keeps everything shipshap

DPF goes through regeneration itself , so keeps mpg up

Quite impressed in last yrs brief snow

I have a 2005 Mitsi shogun sport V6 auto, its an excellent vehicle, very comfortable full leather interior, hi-lo transfer box very reliable and deathly silent, being so quiet and an auto it is an excellent lamping vehicle.

I only do about 5000 miles a year so not to worried about the 23-25 mpg

Ian.

well I still like the Isuzu trooper , I,m on my 3rd one now , if you can find one with good engine and good underneath , it will last and do everything you ask it too

Cant be that good you've gone through 2 of them already.

Only joking my dad had one for years and was a great truck, only sold it as needed the cam belt doing which would of cost more than the car was worth and fancied a change after 5 years loyal service.