Remington 700 BDL .270

jason kaye

I have been searching for a while for an all round rifle and had my heart set on a Sako, but came across a Remington 700 in .270 and ended up buying it.Now I've never been set alight by the 700, don't know why just never floated my boat, it came with a Picatinny rail, Warne 30mm rings, scoped up and set about zeroing it in first 3 shots 6" low, next 3 right height, but an inch to the right, next 3 bang on an inch high at 100 yds, now never being a fan of Remingtons this rifle really surprised me, unmoderated shooting cheap 150grn Privi ammo and a detachable mag to boot rather than the drop floor plate, now I was going to sell it to fund a Sako, but now having second thoughts, what's the collective thoughts on these rifles and what would you do?

Thanks Jase.

As long as you hit the target thats all that counts. 270 is an all time great. If it is too pokey then you can always down load it to a smothe softy or up load it until you say jeez that recoil hurt. some loads can be a bit noisy but it's gone in an instant and if you hit the target you wont need a second one, you'll only need a knife.

.270 is gods 2nd favoruite cartridge next to .222

who cares what make or what it looks like if it shoots well?

so many aftermarket parts and options for the Remingtons why bother changing for snob value

would love to have sakos and custom rifles spilling out of my cabinet....form over function a lot of the time

I have a John Dickson Parker Hale .270 and a BSA Majestic in .270

both classics and both will kill anything we have in the UK

what mare do you need?

I have always thought the 700 BDL is one of the best looking rifles ever made; what a rifle should look like. So I eventually bought one in .243 Win.

I never put a mod' on it as I felt it would have spoilt its looks.

I couldn't get it to group any other weight than 100 grainers, but with those it was bob on and I went on to shoot a lot of foxes and Roe with it. It's only drawback was the sprung floor plate, which I don't like.

I now have a T3 Varmint, but if your BDL has a detachable mag' I'd be hanging on to it.

I like hinged floor plates. Nothing to loose in the grass!

Yes I like this feature also for the same reason. I have this feature on both my Winchester model 70 in 223 and my Parker Hale 1200 in 270. The Manlicher luxus in 243 and the Bruno fox in 222 have box mags which I have stuck reflective tape around. This is to aid finding them with a lamp if I were to drop a mag. A mate dropped a mag of a 22rf down between the cab and bodywork of a Hilux onto lawn length grass and it was a game to find it even though we stopped immediately. The replacement cost of a mag was horrendous.

I have always thought the 700 BDL is one of the best looking rifles ever made; what a rifle should look like. So I eventually bought one in .243 Win.

I couldn't get it to group any other weight than 100 grainers, but with those it was bob on and I went on to shoot a lot of foxes and Roe with it. It's only drawback was the sprung floor plate, which I don't like.

I'll go along with that.

I find it a real faff to load, so detachable mag has to be the way, definitely.

Why. you just drop the rounds into the mag well area and press them down with your thumb. and unloading is just a matter of holding your hand under the trapdoor and the rounds just slide into your hand. as I have previously written I've got both sorts of mag and the only difference is that you could loose or displace a box mag. It isn't like a military situation where you need to change the mag rapidly to keep shooting. Mostly I would only need one round because I have either missed and the beast has run off or the beast has been hit in which case it generally falls. occasionally a second shot might be needed if a second target is to be taken but generally it is only one round per beast..

Why. you just drop the rounds into the mag well area and press them down with your thumb. and unloading is just a matter of holding your hand under the trapdoor and the rounds just slide into your hand. as I have previously written I've got both sorts of mag and the only difference is that you could loose or displace a box mag. It isn't like a military situation where you need to change the mag rapidly to keep shooting. Mostly I would only need one round because I have either missed and the beast has run off or the beast has been hit in which case it generally falls. occasionally a second shot might be needed if a second target is to be taken but generally it is only one round per beast..

Absolutely.

Lots of folks sit at bench on a range however! That could have something to do with it.

I know the theory.

In practice I'm just all fingers and thumbs! I usually end up not pressing down hard enough with a couple of rounds in (as you say, one as a back up) and I can't close the bolt. I press down a bit harder and then because there's space for more rounds I trap my thumb in the floorplate :oops: . Hey, I know I'm flamin' useless and perhaps I should have just stuck to shotguns :lol: but I enjoy all my shooting . I have used a detachable mag before and I must admit, it was easier.

Oh, and I've never been on a [rifle] range in my life...

God ,we do have some pedants on here . How many rounds do you want to put in your rifle for stalking ?I only ever load two . Thumb them into the top of the mag and then thumb both down and close the bolt on an empty chamber when still stalking . One up the spout when up a high seat . Any body would think that loading a rifle was rocket science .

Harnser