Suzuki Vitara. Any Good?

sitsinhedges

Would have bought a new Jimny but they are just a bit small, rubbish at speed, poor fuel economy and have a fuel tank that needs filling twice as often as most vehicles which is a pain. Shame really.

So, having looked around for a potential shooting vehicle that is reasonably spacious and also economical I've come to the conclusion that a late Suzuki Vitara is going to be my best bet. A new one with 4wd is knocking 20k so I will probably end up spending 9 or 10k on a low mileage 59/60 plate sz5. I just wanted some second opinions on this particular model, it seems to give good mpg in 1.9 diesel format and I assume the 4wd will be up to scratch, so what do you think of my choice????

i have not owned or driven a new one but i had a 52 plate xl7 and it was fantastic on and off road, had it 9 years and was faultless i friend who also had a xl7 changed for a brand new vit when it was 08 and within a few months was wishing he had his old one back and he was a genuine bloke

colin

I bought an 07 registered three door Grand Vitara last Autumn. The thing broke down on the way back from the garage (main Suzuki Agents), the following day after it had supposedly been fixed, and again on the motorway after the main dealership had had in in for ten days for investigation and pronounced it fit and well. Needless to say I had my money back, meagre compensation and a belated and begrudged letter of apology.

Should I offer an opinion it may well be biased.

Shooting buddy has recently bought a 2007 Grand vitara 5 door model.

Pro's

Very comfy

Smooth and quiet on the road

Economical (avg 31mpg including lots of around town. 35+mpg on a run)

easy selectable 4wd (turn a knob and select option)

Haven't put it through a real off road test but manages muddy, rutted tracks very well.

Well equipped.

Spacious

Con's

Seems too nice to put through muddy fields.

A friend who has a 5 door diesel has had problems with the diesel particulate filter clogging up due to short journeys. Apparently they need a blast on the motorway quite often to avoid this. I'm not sure, however, which year the DPFs were introduced on GVs so perhaps earlier models may not be affected.

I have had diesels in the past and have never had this problem, although when I was working (now retired) covered many motorway miles on so maybe alleviated this problem.

I have a 2.4 petrol SZ4 3 door ex demo model which I bought 2 years ago, and unlike JDog, I must admit to having had no problems whatsoever, not that I would expect any on a newish car. Being 3 door, it is a bit limited for space in the rear and a pain for passengers to get in and out of the rear seats, but these are normally folded forward ready to load up with shooting/fishing gear so gives me all the space needed. Pity they no longer make the 3 door in a diesel as the petrol model is a bit thirsty, but it's good on road and brilliant off, as it has diff lock and low ratio gears.

Generally, Vitaras have a reasonable reputation for reliability, it appears that some people are luckier than others. I seem to have been blessed with good fortune with regards cars, both new and not so new, but speak as I find.

A friend had a 57 plate diesel which was pretty trouble free up to 40 odd k when it was sold .Been researching the same model for myself , and it appears the DPF system was a bit of a lash up on them and is causing issues to some owners! It`s a Renault engine I believe.

Edited by matone

I've had a 2010 2.4 litre petrol five door for 3 years. It's my main vehicle at the moment and gets used for everything. I've had no problems whatsoever. It's very practical and spends most of its life with the back seats folded away and a plastic load liner in place. I use it as a utility vehicle, carting mountain bikes or camping kit around, carrying decoying kit or taking garden waste to the tip. Yet put the seats up and it looks smart enough to take anywhere.

It's refined and comfortable on long motorway trips and is a pleasure to drive. It's great off road too. Permanent 4WD but selectable low range and diff lock at the turn of a switch. It also has better ground clearance than a lot of SUV type 4x4s. The only downsides are that the petrol engine is a bit thirsty , and like most 4x4s, its handling gets a bit upset if you drive it too enthusiastically on twisty roads. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Ive had a 2010 2.4 litre petrol five door for 3 years. It's my main vehicle at the moment and gets used for everything. I've had no problems whatsoever. It's very practical and spends most of its life with the back seats follded away and a plastic load liner in place.I use it as a utility vehicle, carting mountain bikes or camping kit around, carrying devoting kit or taking garden waste to the tip. Yet put the seats up and it looks smart enough to take anywhere. It's refined and comfortable on long motorway trips and is a pleasure to drive. It's great off road too. Permanent 4WD but selectable low range and diff lock at the turn of a switch. It also has better ground clearance that a lot of SUV type 4x4s. The only downsides are that the petrol engine is a bit thirsty , and like most 4x4s, it's handling gets a bit upset if you drive it too enthusiastically on twisty roads. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

This is good to hear. I'm looking at a 1.9 diesel model which should be a bit better on economy but unfortunately not as good as the current 1.6 diesel.

I've had a 2010 2.4 litre petrol five door for 3 years. It's my main vehicle at the moment and gets used for everything. I've had no problems whatsoever. It's very practical and spends most of its life with the back seats folded away and a plastic load liner in place. I use it as a utility vehicle, carting mountain bikes or camping kit around, carrying decoying kit or taking garden waste to the tip. Yet put the seats up and it looks smart enough to take anywhere.

It's refined and comfortable on long motorway trips and is a pleasure to drive. It's great off road too. Permanent 4WD but selectable low range and diff lock at the turn of a switch. It also has better ground clearance than a lot of SUV type 4x4s. The only downsides are that the petrol engine is a bit thirsty , and like most 4x4s, its handling gets a bit upset if you drive it too enthusiastically on twisty roads. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I'd support this view completely. I've had a 56 plated 1.9 diesel for 4 years and apart from one sensor failing (not too expensive to replace) it's been trouble free. It's a pleasure to drive and capable off road, baring one occasion but two other 4x4s also got stuck then as well!

I'm getting 35 to 39 to the gallon, about town and on longer runs. I do several trips a week of 45 minutes at 40 - 60 mph and the DPF hasn't causecd any problems.