Binoculars?

sjnshooter

If you don't mind second had get a pair of Carl Zeiss Jenoptem of eBay. They will be about the same money but the glass is really top, Zeiss, quality. I've had a pair of 10x50 for the last 4 years, second hand when I bought them and still a huge amount better than my mates Hawke ones.

If you don't mind second had get a pair of Carl Zeiss Jenoptem of eBay. They will be about the same money but the glass is really top, Zeiss, quality. I've had a pair of 10x50 for the last 4 years, second hand when I bought them and still a huge amount better than my mates Hawke ones.

+1, I had a pair for Christmas, they were approx. £100 and are in mint condition.

They are far superior to the new chinese alternatives in this price range. What out for fakes though as there are a few about.

+1, I had a pair for Christmas, they were approx. £100 and are in mint condition.

They are far superior to the new chinese alternatives in this price range. What out for fakes though as there are a few about.

Sorry for hijacking this thread what are the telltale signs to look for on Carl zeiss binoculars?

Sorry for hijacking this thread what are the telltale signs to look for on Carl zeiss binoculars?

Ask for serial numbers.

Zeiss have 7 numbers in their serial I believe and copies may have have letters in them. .

Mine (when I received them) have a letter in the serial number but for less than £30 I am still pleased with them for my use.

Lots of 'Zeiss' binoculars on the bay but not all may be genuine.

Carl Zeiss where better than Barr & Stroud even in the second world war! ... Barr & Stroud today is no more than a British name sake "well Scotish enfact" .. all bino's are far eastern produced.

Regards counterfeit Zeiss glasses .. there are a number of tell tale signs regards fakes. Its not straight forward. For instance, some thought of fakes turned out not to be fakes! .. some irregular marked Ziess were enfact Japanese manufactured at the behest of Zeiss. These "good glasses" can emulate fakes.

Zeiss are far superior to Barr & Stroud .. Zeiss are excellent when used in fading light.

There are three top makes, sort of analogous to J. Purdey, Holland & Holland and Boss & Co - these are Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski. All of these are superb quality - the best on the market.

Be aware that many others can be good, but are not of this level of quality. New, they are expensive, but worthwhile if you can justify an investment in the best. Second hand, they can be good value, but like all goods, are sometimes sold when damaged. Its hard to spot some faults in a damaged pair (poor collimation, internal condensation/fogging when cold etc.). Some are 'famous names', but now made overseas in the far east and may not be of the quality the name may suggest.

Hi

It's worth looking on ebay as some nice bins turn up!

I bought a pair of Zeiss Jena 8x30 for £25, They are superb little bins, I also have a pair of Komz Ruskie bins that are as good as the Zeiss!

Other bins I have that are good quality are Super Glentons, Nikon Monarch, Jason and surprisingly, Miranda!!

Nikon Monarch 8x42, I paid £20 at the bootsale :yahoo:

NikonMonarchtop.jpg

Russian 'Komz' 8x30 (tenner from the bootsale)

Ruskiebins4.jpg

Super Glentons, I swapped an old SMK air rifle for these!!

SuperGlentonbins.jpg

A massive old pair of old military Barr and Stroud bins!!

BS1.jpg

BS2.jpg

BS3.jpg

Gave a fiver at the bootsale as you couldn't see owt through them!!

Ended up giving them to the wife to putb on her antique/bric a brac stall, she got either a tenner or fifteen quid for them! (Can't remember now!!)

John :)

Budget wise? Bushnell Natureview, superb for the money.

I sold a top quality set of Kahles binoculars, and bought some Hawke Nature Trek for around £100. They are excellent, and although the Kahles were far better, it's really hard to tell the difference, even at dusk/dawn.

Keep your eye out for Swift Aubodons these are superb

http://betterviewdesired.com/Swift-HHS-Audubon.php

I bought some leica ultravids scond hand as an upgrade to these as I convinced myself I needed them (as you do). Two weeks later I sold them on preferring the swifts..... I bought them for about 200 quid..... The leicas were 700 odd.