new duck cartridge to hit the market this coming wildfowling season

1550 fps is ~470 m/s, I know that's muzzle velocity but at 2.5 m from the muzzle the CIP set a limit of 430 m/s (~1400 fps).

If this cartridge is over that limit then will we be able to buy them in the U.K?

1550 fps is ~470 m/s, I know that's muzzle velocity but at 2.5 m from the muzzle the CIP set a limit of 430 m/s (~1400 fps).

If this cartridge is over that limit then will we be able to buy them in the U.K?

Momentum is good and the velocity is perhaps over the top but only marginally so.

I think the price was quoting for a slab, so around £240 per thousand, I just paid £235 for a thousand steel 6 , 28 gram and they are very poor, pattern speed and knock down are way down , they are made in Italy !!! say no more. I may as well have used my clay busters, 28 gram 7.5's at £139 per thousand. I am making the change from lead to steel as I shoot over Norfolk marsh areas and its steel only, up until this lot I only used Kent Velocity 6's in lead, 1400 fps, cracking cartridges.

As I am taking up wild fowling this autumn I need to get some heavy stuff for ducks and geese, I am in the middle of researching some but not quite ready to buy yet. anyone want some steel 6's made in Italy, top notch cartridges, trust me !!! :lol::lol:

Sorry I missed that. At around £6 a box they are cheap if they do the job.

Lakeside if you are looking for a good steel shell try gamebore 3 inch mamonths in no 3 for duck . They work very well. RC atomic 34\36 gr loads are also pretty good as are Remmington 3 inch loads as long as you get a fast load , they seem to come in a variety of speeds , you need to check the box. Yet to give a proper trial to Eley lightings , but some on here seem to like them too. Until recently all I could get was no 5 shot in a 3 inch load , but they were not much good for anything over 40 yards. I am looking fordward to trying no 3 shot this season.

Edited by anser2

I think the price was quoting for a slab, so around £240 per thousand, I just paid £235 for a thousand steel 6 , 28 gram and they are very poor, pattern speed and knock down are way down , they are made in Italy !!! say no more. I may as well have used my clay busters, 28 gram 7.5's at £139 per thousand. I am making the change from lead to steel as I shoot over Norfolk marsh areas and its steel only, up until this lot I only used Kent Velocity 6's in lead, 1400 fps, cracking cartridges.

As I am taking up wild fowling this autumn I need to get some heavy stuff for ducks and geese, I am in the middle of researching some but not quite ready to buy yet. anyone want some steel 6's made in Italy, top notch cartridges, trust me !!! :lol::lol:

I can't believe that an Italian steel load in a size 6 would be poor on pigeons. Are you sure it wasn't just user error? How do you know what kind of speed and pattern the shells are producing?

I also have fiocchi uk and Italy page I have used there 35g steel hp size 2 70mm pattens well in my gun

What kind of percentage are you getting with these shells and through what choke?

Edited by motty

With the fiocchi steel hp 35g size 2 70mm in half choke 32yards.150 pellets on average in the cartridge on a 24inch sqaure bored target getting on avaerge 82 -87 hits on the target the gun is a baikal mp27

Edited by littlerob

Tongue in cheek.

Wow fabulous, fantastic, marvellous.

Steel is....well **** actually. Yes I know you marsh boys are forced to use it. You're like the Americans, i'll do what i'm told.

Lead - the way ahead.

This is quite clearly a post from someone who has fired very few steel shells.

Actually i've shot quite a few motty. I shoot some every year and have done since steel came in just to try the "latest and greatest".

I also see guys shoot the stuff albeit mostly on game shoots where there are duck. Part of the problem if this is the right way of putting it, is the guns mainly use proper English guns some chambered for 2 - 2 1/2 inch cartridges.

It's their choice and they think steel stinks. There are wounded birds as a consequence which no one wants to see. Steel, as you well know is ballistically inferior to lead. The difference is made up today by fast loads 3 1/2 in shells fired from bazooka guns.

Bazooka's have a place on the marsh but not on a traditional game shoot. Wildfowlers pushing steel as the next best thing and supporting the horrible stuff is damaging other sections of the shooting community.

Just because 'fowlers laid down and died and accepted steel doesn't mean we all have to bow down and follow suit does it?

I know you are a knowledgable pigeon shooter and sure steel works but for me the stuff is a poor alternative.

All this support is also potentially damaging to rifle shooters using lead. This post refers #17 http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/313291-sir-barney-white-spunner-quits-lag/?p=2833908

Edited by Whitebridges