Only 97 more days !!!!

fenboy

Anyone else started counting down yet :lol:

What are you aspirations for the coming season ?

I have / am joining two new clubs for the new season though I will still be shooting over quite a lot of the same marsh as last season with some added new areas to try a learn something about .

My main goals for it is to get even more flights in than last years , I want to do much more in the way of tide flights and hopefully bag that so far elusive pintail.

It would be nice if I could increase my bag for the season over last years , but that is by no means the most important thing for me , I look forward to doing some flights with friends old and new and I have to some how find something for Old Farrier to have a shot at when I take him out for his raffle prize day , pressure what pressure :lol:

So what do you have planned .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha I Just love keen fowlers. In my younger days I too used to count down the days to the start of a new season. Well I supose I still do , but not until August ! Good luck in joining your new clubs.

My two clubs ( one inland and one coastal ) , plus the marshland shoot I share with a couple of friends will provide me with all the wildfowling I want this season. Beware of spreading yourself a little thin between your marshes and not getting the best out of any of them. I have always had better results from learning one or two marshes well, rather than spreading myself thin between several marshes. I like the contrast being in both a coastal and an inland club. Both have their charms and different skills that need learning. I have been a member of the coastal club for 45 years and usually have a fairly good idea what the birds will do on a given set of tides and weather though of course there will always be surprises from time to time. The inland club has a dozen different shooting areas of varying sizes and types from a large lake that can only be shot by boat to grazing marshes and lengths of river banks. One or two of the marshes i shot as a boy , so know well , but even though I have been a member of this club for 8 years I am still learning these other marshes and even a single duck off them at flight is a great sucess for me. The fresh marsh shoot I also know quite well having shot on it as a member of the shoot back in the 1970s , then regulary as a guest when I moved to the other end of the county until I rejoined the shoot 5 years ago.

To get stuck in to training the pup in preparation for the 2016/17 season when I shall be re-joining my old club and possibly look to spread a bit further afield with another if I can, perhaps Fenland or one of the inland Norfolk clubs.

For the coming season I have a couple of coastal invites, plus my inland, mostly goose syndicate in Northants and my syndicate in Essex where we have a evening flight after the game day over two large irrigation reservoirs.

i had a fall at the start of september so missed all bar the first week of the last season, its only the last two or three weeks that ive started getting better and its a slow and slight improvment so i have everything crossed that im going to be better by the start of september, so yes im counting the days.. hours.. minutes

last season was a real shame as i had a gun i couldnt get on with the season before so this time last year bought a new one and i really get on with compared to my old benelli and the two days i had last season were cracking and a huge difference in my shooting

Edited by kiffy

I found myself in bed last night reading the tide timetables for the fist week in September and was down on the marsh on Sunday just to have a "look", It does feel a long time until the season starts. Saying that I've a baby that's three days overdue so am likely to have my hands full for a couple of months - hopefully with the timing, the wife will let me out by September. Junior is already on the club waiting list...

After 39 outings last year, if I get half of that in the forthcoming season I'll be happy.

This year I'm going to concentrate on tide flighting rather than just dawn and dusk, a challenge with club curfews, but the focus will very much be on quality rather than quantity and fine tuning my motherline technique - mixed results previously...

It'll also be about spending time with my dad, he keeps reminding me that he's coming up to 70 and whilst it isn't always convenient to take him or it means that i must compromise where i go, i have to remember that he did the same for me when i was a kid and those shooting memories are some of the best I have together.

All the best for the summer

GS

It'll also be about spending time with my dad, he keeps reminding me that he's coming up to 70 and whilst it isn't always convenient to take him or it means that i must compromise where i go, i have to remember that he did the same for me when i was a kid and those shooting memories are some of the best I have together.

without seeming all mushy and loosing my hunky manlieness :lol:

thats a wonderfull thing, i wish my father had been into hunting so i could have shared memories like that. although i shot on and off with an airgun all my life i didnt get into hunting and get my sgc until i was past 40 so i missed out on so much

I am planning to have a good time, have a laugh with a few mates, not to get any sneaky eye licks off the dog (doubt I will make that one through a full season long :rolleyes: ). Oh heck I might even shoot a few duck and geese. I have a few new times and places I want to try from observations I didn't ever take full advantage of last season.

Anyone else started counting down yet :lol:

What are you aspirations for the coming season ?

I have / am joining two new clubs for the new season though I will still be shooting over quite a lot of the same marsh as last season with some added new areas to try a learn something about .

My main goals for it is to get even more flights in than last years , I want to do much more in the way of tide flights and hopefully bag that so far elusive pintail.

It would be nice if I could increase my bag for the season over last years , but that is by no means the most important thing for me , I look forward to doing some flights with friends old and new and I have to some how find something for Old Farrier to have a shot at when I take him out for his raffle prize day , pressure what pressure :lol:

So what do you have planned .

I have been thinking a lot about next season. I shouldn't be, really, because hopefully there will be a lot of pigeons to kill before then. I hope to have a season like the last two on the geese. I also will make more of an effort to get more tide flights in and hopefully have some memorable outings on the ducks. It could be good.

I have been thinking a lot about next season. I shouldn't be, really, because hopefully there will be a lot of pigeons to kill before then. I hope to have a season like the last two on the geese. I also will make more of an effort to get more tide flights in and hopefully have some memorable outings on the ducks. It could be good.

Its the lack of pigeon that has got me thinking about wildfowling , hopefully they will soon start turning up , otherwise it is going to be a long drag until september .

My peas are now in flower and still nothing on them , I did find 100 or so on a cover strip that has just been drilled so may have a hour or two on that tomorrow.

I am so bored I even made up a few steel loads today :lol:

New challenges, new places and good company for me! Wildfowling increasingly for me is less about the bag and more about the fun and adventure! Had a great few weeks north of the border with good company, lots of craic, tall stories, exceptional dog work....... Not mine! Lol and some decent shots taken too

New challenges, new places and good company for me! Wildfowling increasingly for me is less about the bag and more about the fun and adventure! Had a great few weeks north of the border with good company, lots of craic, tall stories, exceptional dog work....... Not mine! Lol and some decent shots taken too

If any build the worth of a days fowling around the bag they will face a whole world of disappointment :yes:

By my calculation it is only 93 days until you go and play in the mud.

Your I Q level must be quite high Mr JDog to work that out . In Norfolk we didn't think about the first till around 2 to 3 weeks before the season started , if the truth is known , we couldn't work out how many days was left, we would just say the season is just around the corner . :yes:

Its a good time for fishing now any how ;)

Would be if I had full use of both arms and hands, fishing is out for a while, and at the moment next season is looking definitely iffy, unless my shoulder (rotator cuff problem) wrist (badly sprained) and thumb (partially severed tendon) improve

And that is after I had major surgery earlier this year :lol:

Can't hold a shotgun let alone fire one

Was looking forward to some Bass and Hound fishing and maybe Chesil for some Plaice

Edited by The Croc