Autotrader Warning

AdamSouthEast

Hi, just a quick warning for maybe those who aren't too "internet savvy"... I found a really nice Terrano on AT at a great (almost suspicious) price and gave the private seller a call. After no answer a text message came through a couple of moments later from 'Autotrader' saying to contact the seller via email. I emailed the seller and they explained that they had recently moved to Scotland and they would be happy to deliver the car to me at their expense (I was assured that all paperwork was there, full service history and a faultless vehicle was guaranteed so no viewing necessary) in exchange for the £3300 wire transfer. To many this will seem an obvious scam, but I know people of perhaps my parents generation who may be duped into taking such a great deal, so just keep an eye out for this tactic if you're on Autotrader.

(Hopefully I don't sound too patronising warning people about something as basic as "Don't send people money over the internet on trust alone"... Just would hate to see anyone get duped.)

Cheers, back to the car bargain hunt drawing board for me :/

Adam

Is unbelievable what's going on on autotrader those days, loads of scams and 95% of sellers are trade, full of carp... i drove from South London to Basingstoke to see a Grand Vitara, advertised as perfect condition on the site and on the phone, and the bloody thing didn't even started and was in a poor condition to say the least... i was fuming ...

Son in law nearly fell for a similar one-1 series BMW at a really good price-story was the owner had moved quickly to Italy with her work and had left the car in storage with instructions to sell asap-this "storage" company had its own mechanics who had serviced and checked the vehicle and were responsible for its condition and description. All we had to do was pay the full asking price and the car would be delivered by themselves as they also ran a transport business-any disputes concerning condition etc of the vehicle would then be passed on to the owner. Trouble was-they would not let us view the vehicle (the storage depot was in a really remote part of Scotland) and that there were no records of their transport company on the net-I google earthed the postcode for the depot and its a barren piece of land. Why can the police not catch these scumbags?

The very same scam is used on many sites.

I was buying a Rib and enquired about several, only to be told:-

Husband had died

Boat was in Scotland

All x-fer paperwork would be completed ( no paperwork needed at al when buying a Rib of the age i was looking at)

If i paid by Paypal, i would have 28 days to reject it.

Generally, the e-mails were poorly written and as you have commented already, it was not possible to view the boat.

The very same scam is used on many sites.

I was buying a Rib and enquired about several, only to be told:-

Husband had died

Boat was in Scotland

All x-fer paperwork would be completed ( no paperwork needed at al when buying a Rib of the age i was looking at)

If i paid by Paypal, i would have 28 days to reject it.

Generally, the e-mails were poorly written and as you have commented already, it was not possible to view the boat.

Yep very similar situation, very poor use of English and extraordinary circumstances preventing viewing of the car.

I'm assuming these are scammers operating from abroad to avoid British justice.

Is unbelievable what's going on on autotrader those days, loads of scams and 95% of sellers are trade, full of carp... i drove from South London to Basingstoke to see a Grand Vitara, advertised as perfect condition on the site and on the phone, and the bloody thing didn't even started and was in a poor condition to say the least... i was fuming ...

Do what I did when recently looking for a 300 disco. Ask a few questions and tell the seller straight "I'm coming a fair way mate so I'll speak the truth here, I will not be happy if it's not as described, NOT HAPPY AT ALL"

To be fair to them you usually get an honest reply then.

Dad and i drove to luton one saturday morning a few years ago to look at a 3 series bmw, described as in showroom condition. Anyway got there passenger foot well was a lake and wouldn't start dad asked for petrol money for wasting of his time and fuel , as even after several phone calls they guy had said it was showroom condition.

The guy gave him £10

• 2 weeks later...

Hohhot, it happens on GumTree too, but the other way around LOL.

I was selling my quad on GumTree, and got an email from a seller, who was just "moving to Africa from Scotland", and would want it exported, so after much to'ing and fro'ing, he came with, would I transfer £3,000.00 to a certain company for the "paperwork and import taxes" and he would then transfer all that plus the £4,000.00 purchase price to me in one go !!!

Told him to take a hike LOL

The time for changes in the law making Autotrader and Ebay more liable would be a start. Its not just cars its everything. My son's friend sold his I phone on ebay and the person who bought it said it never arrived. Ebay refunded the money while the dispute was still in process despite my son;s friend having proof it was signed for.