Wildfowling shopping list

DeepThought

My normal marsh gun is a maxus but I find it a nightmare locating all my empty cartridges at the end of the flight and often end up going back down the next day looking for all the ones I couldn't find. So decided to give the revo a go. I have other guns but don't like the idea of ruining them down the marsh. I have heard about the recoil issues but thought for £400 it is worth a punt. And as like u said the camo helps protect the barrels plus the stock and foregrip are plastic so haven't got to worry about them getting ruined either. But please keep an eye out after the season has started as someone may be able to pick up a bargain

I take my maxus down the marsh. It's the shadow grass camo one. Covering protects the barrels from damage. I would only have synthetic guns for the marsh and must admit I prefer them for all my shooting.

Now the Maxus cost me a bit and for that everytime I come back from the marsh I strip it down and clean it. it doesn't take long at all.

I had an SXP before and left it for one night and it was nearly ruined. I also don't see the point in a pump when you have so much choice in semis that considerably reduce recoil on the bigger loads.

I have been reading about all the different guns for wildfowling and nobody have mentioned the good old reliable 3inch s x s , there been around for 100 years or more and still doing a good job.

With a non ejector very little can go wrong with the gun , I have got a couple of s x s ejectors but I still put my hand over the breech when I open the gun and stop the cases being ejected out so I don't have to look for them when its time to call it a day.

There well may be a lot of advantages with the plastic , camo stocks , three shot low recoil guns that you chaps talk about and maybe I am missing out on something as I have never owned one and I doubt if I ever will , do I miss not being able to pull out three geese at the maximum range with the biggest shells on the market ? ........ No I don't.

My Benelli Super Black Eagle was well worn when I bought her. She's had ten hard years use with me and I must admit that I fairly abuse my guns. They always get cleaned if wet but not always after every trip. Anyway, she was looking a bit sad and shiny so I put her into Rifle Craft and they have camouflaged her. £215 for the same paint they use on oil rigs so it should last a while.

She looks super but I don't think she will shoot any straighter...

I have been reading about all the different guns for wildfowling and nobody have mentioned the good old reliable 3inch s x s , there been around for 100 years or more and still doing a good job.

With a non ejector very little can go wrong with the gun , I have got a couple of s x s ejectors but I still put my hand over the breech when I open the gun and stop the cases being ejected out so I don't have to look for them when its time to call it a day.

There well may be a lot of advantages with the plastic , camo stocks , three shot low recoil guns that you chaps talk about and maybe I am missing out on something as I have never owned one and I doubt if I ever will , do I miss not being able to pull out three geese at the maximum range with the biggest shells on the market ? ........ No I don't.

Of course a SxS will do the job marsh man , as will a O/U and a non ejector is a benefit in my eyes , but I do see more benefits in a synthetic auto .

You like me are fortunate to live very close to the area you shoot , perhaps if you have driven over 100 miles for a morning flight that 3rd shot and a bigger cartridge may be more appealing , especially if that put something in the bag for the long trip home , if unsuccessful you and I can just pop back out the next morning.

As with most things times move on and it is rare I see anyone using a SxS now and I guess in another 20 years I will see even less .

Arrange a guest trip and you'll see a fine English magnum is use ;);) .

Of course a SxS will do the job marsh man , as will a O/U and a non ejector is a benefit in my eyes , but I do see more benefits in a synthetic auto .

You like me are fortunate to live very close to the area you shoot , perhaps if you have driven over 100 miles for a morning flight that 3rd shot and a bigger cartridge may be more appealing , especially if that put something in the bag for the long trip home , if unsuccessful you and I can just pop back out the next morning.

As with most things times move on and it is rare I see anyone using a SxS now and I guess in another 20 years I will see even less .

You are right fenboy it is rare seeing any body with a s x s or a o / u come to that, but then again it is rare I see that many people when I am out on the land I go on . but if I asked at a meeting night I know there would only be the odd one owning up to using a gun with only two barrels on the marsh .

With the amount of three shots I hear throughout the season there are a lot of people with the guns your talking about and in the right hands they have got advantages , like using the third shot the to finish off a clipped bird that you hit with your second shot , but like I said in the right hands.

With the speed I hear the three shots go off, they are either very good shots or are they hoping with that amount of shot in the air something is sure to fall out :yes:

You are right fenboy it is rare seeing any body with a s x s or a o / u come to that, but then again it is rare I see that many people when I am out on the land I go on . but if I asked at a meeting night I know there would only be the odd one owning up to using a gun with only two barrels on the marsh .

With the amount of three shots I hear throughout the season there are a lot of people with the guns your talking about and in the right hands they have got advantages , like using the third shot the to finish off a clipped bird that you hit with your second shot , but like I said in the right hands.

With the speed I hear the three shots go off, they are either very good shots or are they hoping with that amount of shot in the air something is sure to fall out :yes:

I agree , there are those that just use them to get more lead in the air , chances are if they are poor enough shot not to hit something with the first two then the third is usually wasted !

Arrange a guest trip and you'll see a fine English magnum is use ;);) .

I am sure I can sort something out , remind me nearer the time ,I have a couple of weeks off work middle of November

Careful Fenboy I've seen him in action with it.

Marshman my main gun is a 3.5 inch Browning Gold semi auto though I do sometimes use my AYA 3 inch non steel proof s\s. I prefer the latter , but am so restricted in the steel shells I can safely use in it that the Browning does the majority of my wildfowling for me. The killing power of a 3 or 3.5 inch steel shell is so superior to a 2 3\4 inch steel shell that I feel at a loss without it. However the AYA has its place. In high winds when the sand is blowing in sheets across the dunes a semi auto is a nightmare , so the AYA s\s with 3 inch Tungstun Matrix or Hevi-shot works a treat with jaming no problem, but nether shells are being loaded these days and even home loads are too expensive for everyday use me so my dwindling stocks are saved for days when they are needed.

Its true the semi auto does have the advantage of three shots , but I find its rare I ever fire more than two shots with it. By the time I am ready for the third shot I usualy find the bird is at the edge or out of range.

Edited by anser2

Marshman my main gun is a 3.5 inch Browning Gold semi auto though I do sometimes use my AYA 3 inch non steel proof s\s. I prefer the latter , but am so restricted in the steel shells I can safely use in it that the Browning does the majority of my wildfowling for me. The killing power of a 3 or 3.5 inch steel shell is so superior to a 2 3\4 inch steel shell that I feel at a loss without it. However the AYA has its place. In high winds when the sand is blowing in sheets across the dunes a semi auto is a nightmare , so the AYA s\s with 3 inch Tungstun Matrix or Hevi-shot works a treat with jaming no problem, but nether shells are being loaded these days and even home loads are too expensive for everyday use me so my dwindling stocks are saved for days when they are needed.

Like Fenboy says we have to move with the times and if I were a fair bit younger I would had most likely joined the auto club , but I am at the age now where I think if it isn't broken its no need to mend it , and today I was shooting pigeons over decoys with the same gun I do most of my fowling with.

If I tried to form a side by side wildfowling preservation society I don't think I would have to book up Wembley Stadium for our meetings , so far I know I can count on Penelope to join so that's the secretary and chairman sorted , all we want now are some members , that will be the hard bit . :yes:

Its true the semi auto does have the advantage of three shots , but I find its rare I ever fire more than two shots with it. By the time I am ready for the third shot I usualy find the bird is at the edge or out of range.

anser what sort of hevi are you using in the AYA ? I have some scintered hevi I am going to load and use through my sxs this year, and would like any info you have please

Island gun all my heavi-shot has been shop bought stuff as I do not home load these days. I used to love the old Hevi-shot with all sorts of lumps and bumps on the pellets. A 2 3\4 inch load of 36 gr number 4s was brilliant at geese and no 5 worked very well for duck. I have done less well with the modern loads with perfect round pellets of 34 and 31 gr. I suspect that the loads are too light to give good pattens. I am down to my last box of 10 shells and when they are gone thats it for me and I will have to depend on Tunstun matrix of which i have 170 3 inch and 2 3\4 inch shells in number 1 and 3. As I usualy only fire 10 - 20 tungstun a year ( most of my geese are shot with 3.5 inch loads of steel ) I guess they will last me for some time and then it will be steel only unless something new comes onto the market at a reasonable price before then.

Edited by anser2

thanks for that anser, The hevi I have is light ! and weighs a little more than lead of a comparable size, BASC consider the scintered hevi could be compared to lead regarding reloading so I intend to load some light loads as lead for my ten and see what happens