first good deed as a 4x4 driver :)

WinchesterDave

Well tonight I headed down to Ainsdale beach near Southport, with my girlfriend for somewhere nice to sit and chat. Anyway.... turned up and these two women had decided to try and drive their Astra through deep soft sand...needless to say...they got it well and truly b******d!

There was three cars full of lads so they walked over to ask them for a push...I was just watching at this point summing the situation up...anyway about 6 to 8 lads pushing didn't even make the car move.

So I made the decision to drive up to them and offer assistance...which they seemed greatful about haha! So positioned the Jimny behind their car got the ropes attached and got back in. as there were so many 'surplus' lads standing around we decided to spread the numbers between the two cars to aid pushing. Got back in put it in to low range, and started to pull they started to push and it came right out with no bother.... to say I was chuffed is an understatement. I know that sounds weird to some on here but it was my first time doing it and my jimny did me proud :))) got out the car, the thank yous were exchanged and I headed off to the other side of the beach.

Parked up and enjoyed the chat and view with my girlfriend. About 20 meters behind me however was some soft fairly deepish sand. I watched some guy in a punto go through it nice and slowly. Realised he was getting stuck so floored it...and well what happened next is fairly obvious..

So already buzzing about my little jimnys success, I once again headed over to them in 4wd and lowered my window...the guy looked well rather embarrassed in front of the girl that was with him... but the girl seemed greatful for my assistance lol. So I positioned my jimny in front of his car and lined them up, got the rope out the back and attached the two together.

Now the sand I was on was loose and soft so I had my doubts and worries straight away about myself getting stuck.

I got back in the car and engaged low range again. I made the decision to pull off in first slowly to see how the tyres would react, instead of diving in to the pull stright away and possibly getting stuck.... the car started to sink slightly stopped instantly. Engaged reverse and told my girlfriend to get out to show me how far I could reverse ( to get a slight run up was my plan) I say slight it was about half a meter revered so not much really... engaged 2nd to minimise wheel spin slightly more revs and related the clutch and out the stuck vehicle came :)

This time with no pushing assistance on either car so I was even more made up :)

Sorry for the long winded tale and I'm sure some of you may well think it's strange to be excited about this.... but as a young lad who really loves 4x4s and what they can do, and to be able to do it my self in my own little 4x4 really did make my day :) I'm nightly proud of my self and Colin my Jimny (yes he's called colin haha)

Anyway atb chaps :)

Dave

Edited by WinchesterDave

Know exactly how you feel. Its a nice feeling to pull someone out and know your car is the business. First time we went for a run in our Defender we pulled a classic Sports car out of a ditch. Puts a real shine on the day.

It most certainly is :) that's a nice first drive story to remember :)

From what i've seen of your pics, it's a cracking truck with decent tyres so should be no problem :good::good:

Well done on the public spirit front as well.

Thank you very much 👍however, tyres are well...road tyres still :/ I'm waiting for them to wear out before buying some decent shoes :) should I be more pleased with my self and my jim based on that....

I do enjoy helping others :)

No unfortunately they didn't lol... :/ I didn't really even think of that at the time I just felt happy to get my jimny working. however later on I did think to my self about that

The farmers around here love it when folks get stuck ..... they always say YES then add "that'll be £ " then :lol: normally between 20 and 40 depending on how expensive the car was.

A rangerover got stuck and the chap said he had lent it to a "mate" who got it stuck in the middle of the field at night !!! Farmer stung him big time for the tow and told the fella that if his "mate" got it stuck on his land again it would be pushed into the big oak tree with the loader!!!!

We suspect some poaching was going on but no proof.

Pulled a few cars out of sticky situations myself in the past, good on you for helping out.

cheers :)

Sit & Chat ??

Yeah right ;) Course you did

But well done Colin and yourself.

Haha! Honestly we did.... ;p

Cheers pal 👍

Fit a good winch and use that saves burning you clutch out, and you getting stuck to.

hrmmm, can the clutch still burn out even if you fully release it? :s sorry if that sounds dumb lol

Pulled a couple of youn lads out of a field last year (Golf GTI),they said they had been sat there for 2hrs( nice white trainers on and didn't want to get dirty).Mud was up to the sills,when I got them out I asked why they where in the field and the answer was we thought we'd have some fun.I can't believe I asked the question.Modified golf & white trainers should of answered that.

Nicely done Dave, It is a good feeling isnt it. Our little jimny (Freddie as named by the wife) has done us proud and has towed a few vechles now in the snow.

The best tow though has been the brother in laws LR Defender :lol: He did everything to avoid me towing it trying to save face. His battery had died on the cinema car park and he was at the bottom of the sloping car park driven in nose first. No one wanted to try and push it for a bump start but with a tow rope and low range I pulled the Defender out backwards and then got in front of it and towed it up the car park for a bump start :good: All micky taking stopped then.

The other time the mickey taking stops is when these BMW`s etc are all stuck in the snow on hills, "Barbie & Kens car" just passes them by with a smug grin :yes:

Glad your loving your Jimny.

ATB

Matt

Nicely done Dave, It is a good feeling isnt it. Our little jimny (Freddie as named by the wife) has done us proud and has towed a few vechles now in the snow.

The best tow though has been the brother in laws LR Defender :lol: He did everything to avoid me towing it trying to save face. His battery had died on the cinema car park and he was at the bottom of the sloping car park driven in nose first. No one wanted to try and push it for a bump start but with a tow rope and low range I pulled the Defender out backwards and then got in front of it and towed it up the car park for a bump start :good: All micky taking stopped then.

The other time the mickey taking stops is when these BMW`s etc are all stuck in the snow on hills, "Barbie & Kens car" just passes them by with a smug grin :yes:

Glad your loving your Jimny.

ATB

Matt

haha what a great story that is; love it! 😂 nicely done, I bet you felt chuffed with Freddie ;)

Thanks for the reply,

Atb

Dave

Sure did and we even got a thank you card with an appology in it ! :good:

I have made a shelf to go in mine now to put the dog box on or any other shooting kit. Under the front lip of it I now carry a really good break down ( inc big jump leads) and medical kit as the Jimny just keeps coming to the rescue !

ATB

Matt

cheers :)

Haha! Honestly we did.... ;p

Cheers pal

hrmmm, can the clutch still burn out even if you fully release it? :s sorry if that sounds dumb lol

The winch will save you getting stuck helping someone, does not look good for you getting stuck helping some. Also helps you if you get stuck somewere undo the winch wrap it around something solid and pull yourself out via the winch. You could also change your name to " WINCHER WINCHESTER DAVE" lol :-)

The winch will save you getting stuck helping someone, does not look good for you getting stuck helping some. Also helps you if you get stuck somewere undo the winch wrap it around something solid and pull yourself out via the winch. You could also change your name to " WINCHER WINCHESTER DAVE" lol :-)

Cheers mate makes sense:) hahaha hrmmm quite like that one ;)