Loose OU shotgun between action and barrels

phillips321

Hi guys,

Notice my miroku ORE is loose between the barrels and the action when closed.

Any ideas on the following:

Is this a safety problem?

How is this fixed? (It's an old gun)

Are there different ways of fixing it?

Any idea of a competent but cheap gunsmith in Gloucestershire?

Thanks guys

The bite is the term used for the action of the locking bolt engaging into the slot on the barrel . What needs to be done is for the gun to be stripped down and the bolt removed . When tis is done the forend should be tightened sufficiently to feel stiff when the gun is opened

it then needs to be checked for clearances between the barrel wings and the action so that it is not bearing . The bolt then needs to be welded up and recut to the correct angle as well dressing the bite on the barrel to ensure there are no steps so the bolt engages correctly . This done the gun can then be reassembled and adjusted with the stock on for smooth opening and to check there is no binding or sticking when the lever is opened .

Who said it only takes an hour ?

The bite is the term used for the action of the locking bolt engaging into the slot on the barrel . What needs to be done is for the gun to be stripped down and the bolt removed . When tis is done the forend should be tightened sufficiently to feel stiff when the gun is opened

it then needs to be checked for clearances between the barrel wings and the action so that it is not bearing . The bolt then needs to be welded up and recut to the correct angle as well dressing the bite on the barrel to ensure there are no steps so the bolt engages correctly . This done the gun can then be reassembled and adjusted with the stock on for smooth opening and to check there is no binding or sticking when the lever is opened .

Who said it only takes an hour ?

I was Pretty Quick at work Mate, But the way you have put it I think 4 is more like it.

I have made new bolts before now but it is only if the gap in the bolt has worn to excessive degree, horses for courses you might say.

No doubt we all have our way of doing things I suppose, No offence meant, and hope none taken.

This American and should not be taken seriously . If you put a .010" shim in the hook that's .010" at the back but .020" top to bottom .Now its basic engineering that you can not put a 1" plug in 1" hole so how will the joint pin bear in the back of the hook as it is supposed to ?

This guy is a well meaning but really knows very little about gun smithing and I would not allow him any where near gun of mine . He has not even stripped the gun down before hand . Sorry but I rejoint guns on a regular basis ,4 to do for proof next week with either new joint pins or TIG welding and re-cutting the hooks dependent on the action. This is not the way to do it . What we used to call an "auctioneers" rejoint in the trade using the foil out of a cigarette packet.Not good at all.