Fly fishing Thank you

welshwarrior

Just a note to say thank you to BlasterMaster who has patiently taught me to fly fish a little, some casting in the grassy field then today took me out to try some trout.

He made it look very easy and let me land 1 of his fish and let get away from his line. Then it happened after a few little bites and school boy error I cast, hooked and landed my first fish on a fly. I nearly did it again but was so excited I screwed it up.

So I sit here now having had a fish supper I caught great feeling.

Thank you for you time and the kit you very kindly gave me.

Nice to hear of your catch. There's something of the hunter/gatherer in fly fishing and it's great when a fish takes.

I'm off to Wales this weekend with my buddy. Staying with another friend who lives in Aberaeron, where we can do some beach fishing, and then going to Clywedog reservoir on Sunday to try for some Trout.

I'll be taking waterproofs.

Little tip for cooking Trout. Oil a baking tray, lay fillet skin side down on tray. Sprinkle with a little bit of Oregano, Dill and Tarragon. Cover the fillet with opened out Leek leaves then cover this with foil. Medium oven 25-30 mins. Mmmmm juicy :good:

Good fun isn't it ? You helped a good friend of mine Salop Sniper with his shooting ( far too much I may add as he kicks my butt now ! ) so if you ever fancy a day out this way I would be glad to help if I can, Ellerdine Lakes is close to me and can fish well on the day ;-)

atvb Paul.

Good fun isn't it ? You helped a good friend of mine Salop Sniper with his shooting ( far too much I may add as he kicks my butt now ! ) so if you ever fancy a day out this way I would be glad to help if I can, Ellerdine Lakes is close to me and can fish well on the day ;-)

atvb Paul.

+1 on that! Ellerdine is only a half hour away from me so if anyone fancies an afternoon! I've not wet a line this year yet....

Martin

Guys thank Shopshirelad if I would to join the meet but unfortunately we're moving house in a few week so it'll be a huge drive over and I'd make myself look silly.

Dougy I'm sure you guys could but I'm most likely to catch weed and a boot but I will keep trying.

John I'm not convinced about fly tying I've game to shoot in the winter.

You must be having a laugh fruityloopy :lol: with those fingers of yours.

I would like to see a Knotted Midge after you've had a go at tying one :lol:

They would all be sinkers with the amount of muck they would get of your shovels :lol:

Croeso/Welcome to a great hobby/sport/pastime or for some of us an obsession. Well done on that first fish, eating a fish you've caught yourself, nothing beats its.

Tight Lines

Aled

Edited by Aled

• 1 month later...

You must be having a laugh fruityloopy :lol: with those fingers of yours.

I would like to see a Knotted Midge after you've had a go at tying one :lol:

They would all be sinkers with the amount of muck they would get of your shovels :lol:

they would be waterproof tho.

fly tying now that sounds fun :good: and then caching something on it .I suppose its akin to loading you own carts and then shooting pigeons with them.....

when have you shot a pigeon with ya homeloads you struggle on clay ones.

I thoroughly enjoy fly fishing, not that I claim to be particularly good at it. Caught some pretty good fish that way but it was only very recently I actually caught a trout on a fly.

Sea fly fishing is something else. I just love it.

Haven't yet managed it but a good session on mackerel on the fly is my dream of heaven.