Konnie

Unfortunately front suspension arms,especially if non OE,are made to loose tolerances which means checking tracking when changing is essential.Personally I prefer to fit new balljoints/press in new bushes to original arms if parts are available separately.

I really hope some of these comments are not made by professional people

If ANY suspension parts are changed alignment not just track should be checked any slight difference will affect the cars geometry if track but more so camber is out by any more than 30 minutes it will cause tyre wear

30 minutes is very little 1 720th of a full circle

If you are repairing a car off a job generated by an operating sysrem such as audatex alignment will automatically be generated when any suspension work is added

30 years in the trade b tec imi and ata senior tech qualified

If the car had been tracked before as the bushes or joints were wearing this would cause wear when new components are fitted as worn bottom arms can change castor/camber angles

👍 that's the one. Car comes in for scrubbing tyres, check tracking and its miles out so its altered,

Cars MOTed and bottom ball joints are badley worn so new bottom arms fitted, tracking miles out

"If ANY suspension parts are changed alignment not just track should be checked any slight difference will affect the cars geometry"

Some vehicles are only adjustable for tracking so parts made to accurate tolerances are essential.I can check caster/camber but if no adjustment available can only comment on it.

How many garages would charge a few minutes labour to check the tracking, I couldn't name 1.

No but as part of the job it only takes a few minutes, no different to checking the torque of the wheel nuts after having the wheels off or topping up the screen wash when doing a service.

If someone came in to have the tracking checked then yes its a longer job.

rodp - tyres wear out for a reason. When changing tyres - two at the same time and axle - tracking springs to mind.

I know what tracking is and where it is taken from.

If changing tyres that are worn through a tracking problem then yes, check tracking. You clearly stated tyres can affect tracking, they cannot !

I really hope some of these comments are not made by professional people

If ANY suspension parts are changed alignment not just track should be checked any slight difference will affect the cars geometry if track but more so camber is out by any more than 30 minutes it will cause tyre wear

30 minutes is very little 1 720th of a full circle

If you are repairing a car off a job generated by an operating sysrem such as audatex alignment will automatically be generated when any suspension work is added

30 years in the trade b tec imi and ata senior tech qualified

I have the same thoughts regarding some of the comments here. Any job that can affect tracking should be checked before vehicle leaves the premises.

If we're talking experience, then ex main dealer truck technical staff.

If fitting any suspension component its proper protocol to check 4 wheel alignment after, but most garages should but don't. If it's a main dealer and its under warranty you have to and you get paid for this, if it's not under warranty unfortunately most places don't as its not built into the labour time. The receptionist should clarify do you want to pay extra to do this, wrong I know but you don't get anything extra nowadays I'm afraid! Most cars you cannot adjust caster/camber but just toe. You set the rear up first, then the front after. I'm not sure where this post is going but just my two penny's worth!