Shooting glasses

I struggled for a long time with my eyes in several different types of glasses and lense colours. I am someone who finds orange and pink targets almost impossible to see. Ridiculous I know but they literally disappear from my vision and sometimes I would only be able to pick them up last thing if at all. I was struggling and missing targets I am capable of hitting and whilst I struggled with the cost of them and not wanting to pay so much I eventually purchased a set of 3 Pilla lenses which have transformed my ability to see these targets particularly but have also sharpened up my vision on all targets against different backgrounds. They have worked for me and whilst the cost still gives me the colly wobbles, I cannot deny that purchasing them has helped raise my game and I am much happier when faced with so many orange and pink targets.

Do expensive shooting glasses such as pilla make much differance?

Huge emphasis is placed by the makers on the lens quality and their apparent lack of distortion in the corners :rolleyes: , well that may be but shouldn't a well designed frame avoid ones eye being placed too far from the general centre of the glass anyway ?

In fairness the huge range of colours and styles available nowadays should be very useful to some people who experience particular problems with regards to target definition in certain light/background situations.

Is a Pilla kit worth £600 ? Emphatically not. Is a single frame and single lens worth nearly £300 ? Absolutely not. The issue here is the triumph of marketing over substance and the reality is that shooters are essentially a captive audience - we need frames that are raised high off the top of the bridge of the nose in order to allow the mounted eye to see through the glass, this is not possible for most people with ordinary high impact glasses and ordinary glass makers won't manufacture such a spec because the public don't need a high frame.

Enter the marketing dragon who spots this minor detail and so decides to enter this niche market. The only way to make decent money (given the relatively small size of the market) is to embellish the product with properties that make the buyer think he absolutely must part with obscene amounts of money to stand a chance against other competitors. :hmm: Give a free kit or ten (they prolly cost £50-60) to the top names and you have in effect the worlds cheapest continuous advertising ;) .

I bought mine when a famous name said it gave him a couple of targets :no: funny how he chooses to only wear them in registered comps; anyway that was 10 years ago and cost me £350 for a 3 lens kit with a frame so awful I have had to modify it to spare my nose from being cut, oh and the arms that were advertised as magically honing their shape to your head are so uncomfortable that taking them off at the end of a reg round takes my mind clean off my misses. In short my Hydef's would have been considered junk had they been £60 quid never mind £350 !

They also move under recoil (another thing the designer forgot about a shooting accessory) so I have to keep pushing them up every few shots. I have used the Outlaw Pilla with the snake tongue twin arm thingy and it doesn't move and is tolerably comfortable so just waiting until someone decided to upgrade from Outlaw to Pickpocket so I can perhaps buy one for a mere £150 or something.

My wife is into designer everything but can't understand why I always insist she buys a new pair every time we're at some transit airport. These things are fantastic quality, smart and have super clarity yet invariably well under £300 or even close to half when on offer ! In case you were wondering I think we're being royally had.

I have a set of Oakley shooting glasses thought they were decent, the better shooters I shoot with (and the odd not so better shooter) all have pilla, when I have tried on their glasses its like switching the lights on, but as yet I have managed to resist buying a set as for the life of me I just cant justify the cost, bloody good glasses but horrendously priced.

KW

I think if you can afford them and it would make you happy then buy them, it is really what is most important to you.

If you are a top drawer shooter you can probably justify it to yourself that they make a difference and confidence is everything, but would they transform the fortunes of a regular shooter? most probably not unless you have some visual acuity difficulties as Sian described in her post.

Value is always relative to the person buying.

Huge emphasis is placed by the makers on the lens quality and their apparent lack of distortion in the corners :rolleyes: , well that may be but shouldn't a well designed frame avoid ones eye being placed too far from the general centre of the glass anyway ?

In fairness the huge range of colours and styles available nowadays should be very useful to some people who experience particular problems with regards to target definition in certain light/background situations.

Is a Pilla kit worth £600 ? Emphatically not. Is a single frame and single lens worth nearly £300 ? Absolutely not. The issue here is the triumph of marketing over substance and the reality is that shooters are essentially a captive audience - we need frames that are raised high off the top of the bridge of the nose in order to allow the mounted eye to see through the glass, this is not possible for most people with ordinary high impact glasses and ordinary glass makers won't manufacture such a spec because the

public don't need a high frame.

Enter the marketing dragon who spots this minor detail and so decides to enter this niche market. The only way to make decent money (given the relatively small size of the market) is to embellish the product with properties that make the buyer think he absolutely must part with obscene amounts of money to stand a chance against other competitors. :hmm: Give a free kit or ten (they prolly cost £50-60) to the top names and you have in effect the worlds cheapest continuous advertising ;) .

I bought mine when a famous name said it gave him a couple of targets :no: funny how he chooses to only wear them in registered comps; anyway that was 10 years ago and cost me £350 for a 3 lens kit with a frame so awful I have had to modify it to spare my nose from being cut, oh and the arms that were advertised as magically honing their shape to your head are so uncomfortable that taking them off at the end of a reg round takes my mind clean off my misses. In short my Hydef's would have been considered junk had they been £60 quid never mind £350 !

They also move under recoil (another thing the designer forgot about a shooting accessory) so I have to keep pushing them up every few shots. I have used the Outlaw Pilla with the snake tongue twin arm thingy and it doesn't move and is tolerably comfortable so just waiting until someone decided to upgrade from Outlaw to Pickpocket so I can perhaps buy one for a mere £150 or something.

My wife is into designer everything but can't understand why I always insist she buys a new pair every time we're at some transit airport. These things are fantastic quality, smart and have super clarity yet invariably well under £300 or even close to half when on offer ! In case you were wondering I think we're being royally had.

Quite a biased comment above when your glasses are 10 years old mine are the new Pilla Panther X2 with Zeiss lenses, yes they are expensive but very good especially the 46ED lense

Come to Orston Shooting Ground they have a set of Demo ones you can try in the shop and on the range

Deershooter

Quite a biased comment above when your glasses are 10 years old mine are the new Pilla Panther X2 with Zeiss lenses, yes they are expensive but very good especially the 46ED lense

Come to Orston Shooting Ground they have a set of Demo ones you can try in the shop and on the range

Deershooter

Of course I'm biased, I feel had by Hydef who are now called Pilla. :rolleyes: They experimented with my money :yes: they charged £350 for junk that has excellent clarity glass but which is uncomfortable to wear and moves under recoil, now they have refined it they want another £570 off me, can you feel the resentment building up ? :lol:

My kit had 3 orangie/brown lenses 2 of which were all but un-useable because they were just too dark, I ended up practically giving them away and just kept the least dark number for everything and tend to only use it for registered.

Pilla and other manufacturers of top end glass are good but they're riding a gravy train of monumental proportions. These things ought to cost less than half of what they do, next to quality glass from fashion brands they simply do not stand out as value even allowing for the add on expense in making them pellet proof.

Last year I bought a Police pair of shades from TK Max for £29 which had been reduced from £145 :yes: , my only criteria was sun protection, reasonable glass and comfort. The lens clarity is stunning, on a par with my Hydef, so it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

The image that reaches the brain is different to every person. I've got all sorts of glasses and out of all of them I generally go to a cheapo pair of Bahco Safety glasses in a light yellow. several people have tried them and most say wow that is like night and day. BUT every ones eyesight is different and how the brain interprets this image is also entirely different. Spending a load of money on any product will not help you if you are uselesss.

The image that reaches the brain is different to every person. I've got all sorts of glasses and out of all of them I generally go to a cheapo pair of Bahco Safety glasses in a light yellow. several people have tried them and most say wow that is like night and day. BUT every ones eyesight is different and how the brain interprets this image is also entirely different. Spending a load of money on any product will not help you if you are uselesss.

But it will give them something else to blame! :lol:

Seing as I need glasses to see anyway I wouldnt buy a set. they seem an out right rip off !

We just need someone to produce the right shape frames and lenses for a sensible price and then I think more people would part with there money but 600 for glasses they must be kidding. I bet they only cost £50/£60 to produce for the frames, lenses cases etc. At £100-150 i may be interetsed espcally if I could get them in my perscription but other than that they can jog on !

ATB

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Seing as I need glasses to see anyway I wouldnt buy a set. they seem an out right rip off !

We just need someone to produce the right shape frames and lenses for a sensible price and then I think more people would part with there money but 600 for glasses they must be kidding. I bet they only cost £50/£60 to produce for the frames, lenses cases etc. At £100-150 i may be interetsed espcally if I could get them in my perscription but other than that they can jog on !

ATB

Matt

Excuse my ignorance here but I am a recreational clay shooter who is considering entering competitions. As I too wear prescription glasses to see, does that exempt me from wearing shooting glasses? Or do I need a larger "safety" pair?

I found these online

http://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/product.php/101/pro-performance-plus-polarised-rx-prescription-shooting-sunglasses

£80 with prescription inserts. Don't know if they're any good but am thinking of getting my eyes retested (I'm due) and ordering a set.

I bought a set of Pillas with the prescription inserts & my scores really took a battering - I've now changed to 3 sets of Ziess shooting glasses bought from Optilabs. In some ways I wish I'd bought Randolph Rangers & got 3 or 4 sets of prescription lenses made as it would have worked out cheaper.

Excuse my ignorance here but I am a recreational clay shooter who is considering entering competitions. As I too wear prescription glasses to see, does that exempt me from wearing shooting glasses? Or do I need a larger "safety" pair?

I often see people shooting in their everyday glasses. I have Ziess as I've said above - I can see "ok" to shoot without my glasses but my prescription lens gives me much better definition

HTH