what's the best gun for waterfowl

alros01

I've got a 31/2 inch maxus is the sx3 or the beretta xtrema 2 any better thanks

Well the maxus and SX3 are basically the same design with the main difference being in the fit the Beretta is a Beretta and will spit out the same shells as the other two. The only difference is what you like the feel and fit of best. In fact its way more relevant to talk shells than gun,

I have a Benelli sbe, Maxus camo and a Beretta A400 unico with the kick off system. They all have different strengths, I tend to use the Beretta the most although I like the speed loading of The Maxus and I also think it has the least recoil of the three. Any top of the line Semi new or second hand with an all weather stock would be fine and make sure it fits you. The right cartridge, choke combination to suit where you are shooting and away you go.

I have had nearly every wildfowl gun available and to me the best one is the one that fits you and you can shoot with it, although most semi autos are adjustable, dome just don't fit, no matter what. The beretta Xtremas take the felt recoil out of heavy loads but they do not fit me no matter what!

thanks for all your comments I'll give the maxus a go this year I like the gun but when I tried the gun out at the shop I also tried the sx3 and that felt better to me

So why not try that SX3 then? Most wildfowlers are not the gun tarts you can find in most shooting sports but can debate coats and boots forever :lol:

Got the shadow grass Maxus, couldn't think of a better wildfowling gun, 3.5" carts, reduced recoil and speed loading and unloading.

However not tried the berettas yet.

I've had 5 Berettas and cant fault any of them. I have the A400 Unico just now with all the kick off system but I still think the Maxus has less recoil and the speed loading is brilliant

but the Beretta fits me better also I bought a Maxus camo a year ago and it cost £1050 brand new my Beretta in camo is £2000 so I would stick with the Maxus. A few of my friends shoot with the SX3 and I've never heard any of them say a bad word about the gun.

Does anyone use or has used a browning WATERFOWL ? . I quite fancy one .

There's 2 versions

Waterfowl is only 3 inch

Special waterfowl is 3.1/2

I believe ther only available in camo now

Had one for years never missed a beat proberably had 75000 cartridge through it everything from 24 gramm up to 63 gramm

But you realy do have to clean them especially around the trigger gaurd

All thebest

Of

Really I have one bought from new and had nothing but problems I would definitely stick with a extrema that's what I'm going back to

What problems have you had ?

I have had one for a couple of years or so and am still to have a jam , its been great .

I guess you can get a duff one of any make , a friend has just took a new beretta A300 extrema back to the shop as it was giving so much trouble.

Of course there is no answer once you widen the field, to some it will be their normal game gun with open chokes, to others only a double eight will do. When you talk of just 3 1/2" in 12 ga as Semi Autos or particular action types s/s, u/o individually etc. then the field narrows to personal preference, fit and budget.

They all are good, i've got sx3, maxus grade 3 and a400 xtrema unico optifade. Have had no issues from any of these, personally i prefer going for a400 xtreme unico optifade its just lovely to shoot. As one of the guys mentioned above make sure as soon you back from marsh give ur guns a good clean and oil them, as once i came back and just rubbed with dry cloth and back in cabinet, after couple weeks when i took out saw a bit rust below barrel. Dont buy wood stock if you going marsh, synthetic would be ur best choice.