Anyone have a Masai shooting box in their Defender ?

SNS

My wife was planning on buying me one of these for Father's day http://www.masai4x4.com/defender/sporting-box-rear-storage-drawers-defender/ - partly on the basis they are £2k less than I have been quoted to have one made.

She spoke to them yesterday to enquire about fitting the box and was told - "they weigh 50Kg so just slip it into place, no need for it to be screwed in as no one is ever going to lift a weight like that out". Which is all well and good, but part of the attraction to me of one of these type of boxes was the ability to lock my gun(s) away securely for short periods of time whilst having lunch etc. And I'm not so sure "no one is going to lift a weight like that out" is really the sort of security I was really after.

So, my question - does anyone already have one of these ? And if so, have you screwed it in place somehow or not ?

Many thanks in anticipation of your thoughts.........

While I don't have that model I do have something that looks very similar. I could not work out the best way to secure it. so I haven't at this moment. I will have to look into it again at some point.

The reason I bought mine was safety and I am happy to keep the guns locked away in it if I do call somewhere while out shooting for a number of reasons.

1) Like your its very heavy and when in place I can't actually lift it out the fit is so good.

2) As mine fills the boot and I don't have windows on the side of my 110, there is no way for anyone to see if there is even a draw in the boot let alone if there is a gun locked in it.

3) The back door need to be opened fully for the draw to open, So if possible I always back into a space, this means for the gun to be removed they would have to steal the Land Rover and if that happens no amount of bolt for the draw is going to help

Neil - like your thinking. On that basis, I think it's a runner !

Cheers

I'd image if you asked they would fit a couple of tabs to locate a bolt or two each side for not too much cost, tell them your reason why and ask what they can do, I doubt you'd be the first...... or last to ask

Fair point - I shall give them a call