what do you do with big bags of pigeon

madmatt

I perform a ritual and say a prayer to the god of pigeons.

Not tried that one , would save running two freezers :good:

Where do you sell them and for how much and has whole birds? do you do any preparation before you freeze them?

I get 40p , just freeze them as they are , try your local game dealer , they will usually take everything you have.

Let me see.............. sorry I can't remember that far back.

put that damn paintbrush down and get out....................use "your charm" on the local......bobs your uncle.................you are beginning to sound like me......not good !!

put that damn paintbrush down and get out....................use "your charm" on the local......bobs your uncle.................you are beginning to sound like me......not good !!

As long as I don't begin to look like you I will be fine I am sure.

I haven't seen any reports from you of late. Have you been out?

Normally we crown a dozen, freezer bag them in pairs and drop them off to the farmer with a couple of bottles of wine. If he/she are not around we leave a note to say how many we shot for them and mention anything we noticed on the day which might be helpful to them. Remainder go to the game dealer or keepers/farmers who we know like a few from time to time.

I have found local 'gastro pubs' ect. Will take anything they can through the back door. (Pigeon, rabbit, pheasant, venison)

Because whatever they pay us is cheaper than they buy them in at!

I have been given £1 per crown! (Undamaged) and plenty of free beer ;)

As long as I don't begin to look like you I will be fine I am sure.

I haven't seen any reports from you of late. Have you been out?

must admit i aint been out............keep sitting in the l/r on the edges of the fields...just watching birds ..(the odd one or 2) flitting from tree to tree...feeding young i guess.....getting ready for the OSR to get cut..........trouble is everyone else is growing the damn stuff.....ive got 3 slabs of cartridges in....supperating in the airing cupboard......im like a coiled spring i tell you ....like a coiled spring !!

must admit i aint been out............keep sitting in the l/r on the edges of the fields...just watching birds ..(the odd one or 2) flitting from tree to tree...feeding young i guess.....getting ready for the OSR to get cut..........trouble is everyone else is growing the damn stuff.....ive got 3 slabs of cartridges in....supperating in the airing cupboard......im like a coiled spring i tell you ....like a coiled spring !!

Hang in there Ditch the harvest be a coming, then you can release all that tension. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

My local resto gives me 70 p a bird i thought that was a bit tight considering on the menue they charge £14 . I have sold over 700 last year .it's already looking good on my farm yesterday i was watching around 500 birds gathering on a set aside as well as every tree bush,fence post .but it's always the same each year it's a magnet for pigeons on here.but there are a good selection of crops for them to go at with rape ,wheat,barley,corn,peas,and plenty woodland and hedgrows for nesting

My local resto gives me 70 p a bird i thought that was a bit tight considering on the menue they charge £14 . I have sold over 700 last year .it's already looking good on my farm yesterday i was watching around 500 birds gathering on a set aside as well as every tree bush,fence post .but it's always the same each year it's a magnet for pigeons on here.but there are a good selection of crops for them to go at with rape ,wheat,barley,corn,peas,and plenty woodland and hedgrows for nesting

Others would be happy with 30p per bird.

Will we soon be receiving a detailed post plus pictures of another 300 bag?

Find the right restaurant and they'll pay you £1.50 - £2 a crown. It's a lot of mess to deal with, but walking away with a couple of hundred quid and a free pint is worth it.

Gastro pubs are the best people to ask.

Edited by Billy.

i give all mine away to old people who like them.as they say its nice to eat.

Well done mossy , we need people like you to look after us goldie oldies , :good:

The problem is this time of the year you have to give them away pretty sharpish if not they have to go in the freezer before they go off and with reasonable bags of 40 plus it would mean a lot of running about to supply a few old folk ,so if any people I know want any then there more than welcome to have what they want , if not they go in the freezer as soon as there cooled off .

Took mine to the dealers yesterday ( Bambridge ) and there paying 25p frozen and 30p fresh , they were saying up until last week it have been very slow with people taking pigeons in ......

Maybe P Cs Game Dealer have a holiday himself , until he get back to reducing the pigeon population in the Birmingham area :lol:

If Michael sold 700 last year, does that mean he only went out about 3 times, as I seem to recall he shoots 300 every time !!!

Perhaps he could let us know the secret of his success and even give PC a few tips !

Incidentally, my game dealer is, and has been for some time giving 40p per fresh bird, which is good, but totally irrelevant as I haven't been shooting any lately. I've tried to change my username for fear of contravening the trades description act, but have thus far been unsuccessful.

How long can you keep frozen Pigeons, do you keep them in feather and whole or do you pluck and gut or crown them?

Pigeons will be fine in the freezer for a good long while [ 2 years or more], but in reality you should fill it at least once a year if you do any amount of pigeon shooting.

Freeze the birds whole in there feathers and stack neatly to fit the maximum amount in there.

Most gamedealers are happy to take the birds frozen but may pay a slightly less premium.

Only if sold in the feather and unprepared in any way I believe.

I have always understood this to be the case aswell.

How long can you keep frozen Pigeons, do you keep them in feather and whole or do you pluck and gut or crown them?

Mine are frozen whole in the feather , how long I keep them depends on how long it takes to fill my freezer , it holds about 150 then I have another for overflow once my main freezer is full I arrange for collection.