places to stop in for the weekend down the wash. for this coming sea

Crossylad

can anyone recommend places to stop at for the weekend while shooting the wash . cheers

The Rose and Crown at Holbeach Hurn rent stattics out over the fowling season or bring your own caravan ,new owners taking over at the end of June so may be worth a call or the Anglia Motel on the A17 both can be found on line hope this helps

I hear the caravans at the rose and crown are a "unique" experience. ;)

I was told it was damper in the caravans than out on the marsh.

When you say wash what area are you thinking of shooting as THE WASH, is a vast area would be able to help if you knew what club grounds you intended to shoot.

I hear the caravans at the rose and crown are a "unique" experience. ;)

I was told it was damper in the caravans than out on the marsh.

When you say wash what area are you thinking of shooting as THE WASH, is a vast area would be able to help if you knew what club grounds you intended to shoot.

A good point .

I did read a tale about some wildfowlers staying at the Lamb and Flag in Welney in a very cold winter some years back , and in the morning when one of them came down for breakfast with blood on his face , his mate asked if he had to much to drink the night before , no he replied , I have just been in the bathroom and slipped on the ice on the floor . :yes:

Thanks for putting me right Pushandpull , I think I read the article in the shooting times by Peter Whitaker ( Petrel ) , it must have been a fair while ago because he is dead now .

Do you know if the one at Long Sutton is still open ? , as I went that way a few months back and I seem to remember passing a pub with the same name or a very similar name boarded up .

Me and my brother did go in the one at Welney many years ago , and if you could think of the perfect wildfowlers pub well that one would have been high up on the list.

The walls were decorated with old photos , old fenland bit and pieces and one or two old punt guns , oh and by the way the beer was excellent with a very friendly landlord .

When Peter Whitaker first came to the Wash he was guided by Frank Harrison, and stopped at the Crown and Woolpack in Long Sutton, which was kept by Frank and Peg (just across the road from Mrs. Mitchell's - The Bull Hotel). Later on the Harrisons moved to Tydd Gote and Frank had a regular off season job with French Kier. so his guests stayed elsewhere.

The Crown and Woolpack is now a private house.

The Bull Hotel is a grade II listed coaching inn, and like the Bridge Hotel at Sutton Bridge was once one of "the" places for fowlers to stay. Mrs. M. proudly displayed a photo of H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh, James Robertson Justice et al. on their well-known punting trip. However it and its landlady declined over the years. Two people that I know were probably the last to stay there in I think 1993, and Mrs. Mitchell died just a couple of days later. It has been boarded up more or less since then.

There are currently plans to re-open it. I hope so, as it graces the market place of a what is still a really elegant little market town.

When Peter Whitaker first came to the Wash he was guided by Frank Harrison, and stopped at the Crown and Woolpack in Long Sutton, which was kept by Frank and Peg (just across the road from Mrs. Mitchell's - The Bull Hotel). Later on the Harrisons moved to Tydd Gote and Frank had a regular off season job with French Kier. so his guests stayed elsewhere.

The Crown and Woolpack is now a private house.

The Bull Hotel is a grade II listed coaching inn, and like the Bridge Hotel at Sutton Bridge was once one of "the" places for fowlers to stay. Mrs. M. proudly displayed a photo of H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh, James Robertson Justice et al. on their well-known punting trip. However it and its landlady declined over the years. Two people that I know were probably the last to stay there in I think 1993, and Mrs. Mitchell died just a couple of days later. It has been boarded up more or less since then.

There are currently plans to re-open it. I hope so, as it graces the market place of a what is still a really elegant little market town.

Do you live locally ?

, I hear Long Sutton called lots of different things elegant was never one of them !

It would be good if the bull hotel was renovated and reopened as it does have a lot of history , it was suppose to be done by a building contractor years ago when the council sold him a strip of land behind it , seems they were conned .

A few of our younger members who travel to Holbeach who’s only access-opportunity to bag a pink decided it would be a good idea to get me out to pastures new, now I scratch that itch every season up on Strathbeg, but I am up for an adventure, arriving at the unique hostelry on a cold and wet December evening, couple of pints and off to our static accommodation I had a ingling while in the hostelry I was in for some surprises, it seemed obligatory to sign the petition, due to local opposition to this unique facility, this clipboard seemed to turn up at every refreshed round was applied for. I wondered if discounts apply on completion of petition.

On entering our accommodation and switching the lights on, nothing happened, assume no electricity, after seeking advice from the hostelry a light bulb was procured, being advised that the last occupants had obviously had a need for multiple bulbs. No point in having a bulb in the toilet that had frozen over with the first frosts of autumn, with the need for heat it was a no brainer, nearest socket to the gas fire, guess what the previous occupants had the need for the gas bottle as well, more shenanigans procuring a bottle of gas, while travelling around the site on varies missions it soon become apparent that vehicle registrations were different from normal. Any way light bulb on gas fire on finally taking in my surroundings, of my temporary abode, I started scratching, no way was I going to sleep in my sleeping bag, back to the car, as it would be safer there to change into my wildfowling apparel, suitable armed with numerous layers of clothing and the ultimate protection of 5 mm neoprene back to accommodation and asleep by the gas fire, my adventure was sutelly changing into a experience. To my surprise I awoke to the sound of my alarm, already suitable attired straight out and down to the marsh, were large gentlemen were walking along the sea wall carrying heavy duty fire sticks on gun slings, obviously don’t use gun bags in this part of the world.

Great to be out in the fresh air, had done some homework on this part of the marsh, picked my spot and after a long walk arrived, ending up with two teal and a widgeon not bad for first time on this marsh and the Pinks past wide and high, thanks for the adventure boys, slept in the truck that evening.

May be we need a wildfowlers tripadvisor site.