Towbars and specifically electrics

HDAV

So I'm thinking of buying something which will need towing, this means getting a tow bar for my car (weight isnt an issue towing load is under 500kg).

Now Im pretty switched on electrically but towing electrics i just don't get, maybe its the terminology, maybe its where i am looking but *** how is not just £30 of wires?

£70-£200 to fit a plug with 7 connections? 1m long! Jesus what are these guys smoking! I pay lesss for high speed video cables and pro spec audio cables!

I get that the tow bar is 4/6 bolts that go into pre drilled holes in the boot, there may or may not be a small plug in socket for electrics (need to check)

I fitted a detachable Westfalia tow bar to my astra 54 reg. Wiring kit wise I bought the dedicated wiring kit because I had the rear fuse box on left side of boot. It was a simple plug in job. No programming required unless you want the symbol to come on dash or you have rear parking sensors.

the can-bus suggestion is my take on the problem also

the newer cars can detect when a bulb has blown, adding another bulb to the circuit messes with this system, hence the coding issues

but...... you can get a generic relay box that senses the relevant circuit and then uses a relay to operate the trailer light, the relay box is fed with a separate [to canbus] supply, i.e. direct from the battery / cigarette lighter etc etc

had a few done by non franchised guy's

but...... I don't do them myself because if you screw up a modern car it may have to go back to the main dealer to be unwound

also the 'professionals ' solder wires they don't 'scotch lock' them

regds

also the 'professionals ' solder wires they don't 'scotch lock' them

regds

I can solder (Or get the apprentice too ;) ) I understand the use of a relay (this evening i think i will pull boot apart and see if i can find the plugin point) but also dont understand the cost associated....

The cost is extortionate for no valid reason other than fear of a diy job. If it costs a lot then people assume it's difficult. I'm really peed off that I employed people to do mine after seeing what they actually did. To the point that I showed them how to do it when it wouldn't fit straight away!!

I recently had a tow bar fitted at a reasonable price. One of the reasons I paid was to get a receipt for the work and electrics because I was told that diy fitting of tow bar electrics would probably invalidate my car warranty issued by the dealer if anything subsequently went wrong such as fire.

I don't know if this is actually true but I didn't want to risk it on a fairly expensive vehicle

I recently had a tow bar fitted at a reasonable price. One of the reasons I paid was to get a receipt for the work and electrics because I was told that diy fitting of tow bar electrics would probably invalidate my car warranty issued by the dealer if anything subsequently went wrong such as fire.

I don't know if this is actually true but I didn't want to risk it on a fairly expensive vehicle

Unless it was a factory spec towbar and the fault was caused by the tow bar was fitted by a dealer I would expect any fault caused by towbar not to be covered by manufacturer warranty.

Fortunately that isn't a consideration for me it's 4 bolts in pre drilled holes and hopefully plug in the wiring kit