first proper try at the corvids

Ira

I've had a wee attempt at shooting them before but this time I got a couple of bales in front of the muck barns, out a net up covered it in straw got comfy and had ten birds, six at lunch time and four in the 15 minutes after work before picking up the kids!!

Bit of advice, is it worth freezing a few as I do the pigeons for decoys and what is the best sort of set up of corvid decoy, pattern etc, is it the same kind of thing as the ole pigeons??

many thanks,

Corvids are coy old birds and what seems to work one day doesnt work another.

I use 10-12 full bodied flocked decoys to start off with. Space them out a few yards apart, 25 yards away from the hide, with a clear area for incoming crows to land in the middle of the pattern. I also find if you can sit a couple on sentry duty on a gate post, or on top of a hedge this also helps. Some days bouncers work, some days they dont, same is true with adding dead crows to the pattern. I find there is a "tipping point" where the crows will stop coming as the pattern is to dense. In essence keep mixing things up and changing things around to see what works. As usual make sure you are well concealed and keep movement to an absolute minimum as their eyesight is really, really good.

I really enjoy a day on the corvids, unpredictable, often frustrating but thoroughly enjoyable, especially when it all comes together.

Keep up the good work,

Here is my layout used today pattern set skew whiff off to my left pic was from the hide, done so I could shoot them coming (and see them more to the point) from all quarters and what a smashing day too, wall to wall sunshine and plenty of crows, I managed 67 of the blackfellas in 4 hours from this spot today and only one jackdaw for a change!, my mate (hawkeye) was about 2 miles away on another farm and he manged 68) so a nice little dint in the thousands strong crow hordes, its a hard life at times.

KW

IMG_0776_zpsgxsmpks2.jpg

Edited by kdubya

NIce, yep what a day very close wasn't good to be working in it. they look like proper birds, are they, do you keep a few frozen for days on the blackies.

I had ten again today, bit of a mixture just a quick spell at lunch time and then half and hour after work, its nice just to be sat behind a hide and getting a few

Pigeons on peas tomorrow, had a good recon yesterday and looking good so hopefully all will be well,

NIce, yep what a day very close wasn't good to be working in it. they look like proper birds, are they, do you keep a few frozen for days on the blackies.

I had ten again today, bit of a mixture just a quick spell at lunch time and then half and hour after work, its nice just to be sat behind a hide and getting a few

Pigeons on peas tomorrow, had a good recon yesterday and looking good so hopefully all will be well,

They are flocked full body deeks 11 out along with two full body pigeon, never use anything else, tried real crows on amagnet but its never worked for me, I also like to pick up dropped birds and keep the pattern clean, and no I dont freeze dead crows they go straight under the hedge.

KW

Here is my layout used today pattern set skew whiff off to my left pic was from the hide, done so I could shoot them coming (and see them more to the point) from all quarters and what a smashing day too, wall to wall sunshine and plenty of crows, I managed 67 of the blackfellas in 4 hours from this spot today and only one jackdaw for a change!, my mate (hawkeye) was about 2 miles away on another farm and he manged 68) so a nice little dint in the thousands strong crow hordes, its a hard life at times.

KW

IMG_0776_zpsgxsmpks2.jpg

Great to see you and Mike managed a good day out again. I had wall to wall warehouse the past week with more to come! Oh the joys.

Back in again today 2-10 then laminate flooring to lay on Friday.

Hope you manage to get out again on them!

LG