Need a cheap 4WD

Dave-G

Our W reg Pinin has failed the MOT - needs £350 worth of welding done to get it through. It's almost criminal that Mitsubishi Imported a car with no underseal. :no:

Apart from that its a brilliant car given I have to share it with 'er indoors who is quite tiny and has bad arthritis. I'm tempted to get the work done and hope the welding sees it through another 18 months or so when I can retire from cabbing and get just one car between us but am considering a few other options over the weekend.

She needs something reasonably compact with power steering and preferably auto, not so high that she'd need to climb up into it.

I don't go anywhere too adventurous these days - mostly grassed fields etc now. We're both over 60 and frugal so don't want anything flash

I've had a quick look at auto trader and there seems a good few choices at sub 1K which is about the budget I can spend at the very most. I see rav4's seem to start at about £500.

Looking at: Grand Vitara, Freelander and Rav4 sort of things. Opinions please chaps.

Edited by Dave-G

Thanks Fenboy. I've spent the last two hours reading autotrader reviews about all three and have ruled out the freelander after the things I read about it.

That narrows my choice to the two Japanese ones, both have superb reviews.

I think the fourtrack would suit my needs perfectly but Mrs. G would struggle to get in it I think - and its probably a bit too agricultural for her.

Thanks lads. most of the easy to access welding was done last year - this year sees some very difficult to reach areas around both sides of the engine - and both bumpers need removing for more. I'm still shocked a ruputable importer would bring non undersealed cars to our salted roads but what's done is done.

I'm close to you, do you want to sell it?

You can come and make me an offer LS but it's not the best condition one I've seen. It has a caved in sill and scuffs tom the driver door where I ran along an unexpected lump of concrete concealed in a bunch of stinging nettles.

It's all black but I have found some red paint under the black on the front bumper and the grill is knacked - so it's had a bump with a previous owner.

I'll be visiting a few dealers to see what PX or no PX does to screen prices. I have some motors to look at over the next few days.

Does anyone know if Suziki's and Toyota's are undersealed? Seems some Jimny's have rust issues too.

Another vote for the much underrated Honda CRV.

Mine is 13 years old and has just flown through it`s MOT. In fact, it has never failed an MOT despite my never doing any maintenance on it whatsoever. It gets a service once a year and I top up the tyre pressure and the windscreen washer.

Incredible reliability.

Edited by mudpatten

Another vote for the much underrated Honda CRV.

Mine is 13 years old and has just flown through it`s MOT. In fact, it has never failed an MOT despite my never doing any maintenance on it whatsoever. It gets a service once a year and I top up the tyre pressure and the windscreen washer.

Incredible reliability.

Is this good for mild off roading ie driving through stubble fields etc?

Another vote for the CR-V here.Excellent cars,thirsty knocking about but that`s all 4x4`s for you.Plenty of pampered ones about too .

.Yet another for the cr-v, mine is 18 years old and still going very stong! as for soft roader, i've never once got stuck and i have tried. and an off road climb up church stretton no problem. ploughed fields? .. not an issue either. Plus road driving is like being in an armchair, so so easy to drive. thought id mention mine is the auto too.

Well, older Rav4 is too small for me.

Looking at a CRV and a Terrano 2 tomorrow.

Anyone know which Nissan got famous for the con rod smashing through the cylinder block?

the Nissan navara d22 if I recall,my mate had one and got his sorted before the con rods caused problems

D22 engine is the one to avoid. The bolts that hold the conrod in place are pro e to stretching and breaking. There is a company that changed the bolts. Its worth asking if ur looking at a 》2005 navara if its been done

Apparently you get about 3 mins warning via knocking before it kills itself