Looking longingly.

JDog

It may be a long time to harvest but I believe that I have seen the first pigeons today sitting on wires over rape fields looking down into the crop and just waiting for it to ripen.

This was not on a single field but on lots of fields between Louth and the coast at Chapel St Leonards and up to Alford and back. As far as I could tell the birds were not going down onto bare patches to eat the leaves.

As yet I have not seen any laid barley. Some barley crops are well advanced and if those went down they would be of significant interest to the grey hordes.

As always we have some long straw variety of barley growing, i walked up the tramlines last night and it was as high as my chest. Although pigeons are yet to show an intrest, i'm hoping heavy rain and some wind will knock patches down this weekend.

I was going to start a topic about seeing pigeons dropping in on standing barley for the first time this year - I won't bother now. I saw them on two fields less than a mile apart, dropping in from the wires overhead.

Don't let my post put you off from sharing your observations.

As always we have some long straw variety of barley growing, i walked up the tramlines last night and it was as high as my chest. Although pigeons are yet to show an intrest, i'm hoping heavy rain and some wind will knock patches down this weekend.

Seems to be all short-straw stuff in my area, laid crops, either barley or wheat seem to be a thing of the past. They do hit wheat, dropping off wires and "helicoptering" down into the wheel tracks, grabbing a stalk on the way down. When that's eaten they helicopter up and down and grab another. Flappers on a timer can mimic this and you can get a few but the biggest draw to any one place seems to be birds on wires. I have yet to try putting lofted decoys on wires.....!!

I was going to start a topic about seeing pigeons dropping in on standing barley for the first time this year - I won't bother now. I saw them on two fields less than a mile apart, dropping in from the wires overhead.

Already here, 'blowholes' all over!

Seems to be all short-straw stuff in my area, laid crops, either barley or wheat seem to be a thing of the past. They do hit wheat, dropping off wires and "helicoptering" down into the wheel tracks, grabbing a stalk on the way down. When that's eaten they helicopter up and down and grab another. Flappers on a timer can mimic this and you can get a few but the biggest draw to any one place seems to be birds on wires. I have yet to try putting lofted decoys on wires.....!!

All short strawed wheat in my area (Kent), but has its advantages as pigeons over the last few years have learnt to spread their wings on top of the crop to support their weight in order to get at the milky ears. I think that this happens elsewhere. Anyone else noticed this.

Hopefully this will happen again shortly.

tomorrow im off to walk round barley fields to see whats about.then on to the pea fields.that have been picked.

Your Peas are very early if you already have some cut mossy , if I were you I would look at the pea stubble first rather than the Barley as they might have been on the Peas without you or anyone else noticing them going on , where as the Barley heads wouldn't had much grain in the ears unless they are well forward , Good luck on one or the other if there are any showing a interest .

All short strawed wheat in my area (Kent), but has its advantages as pigeons over the last few years have learnt to spread their wings on top of the crop to support their weight in order to get at the milky ears. I think that this happens elsewhere. Anyone else noticed this.

Hopefully this will happen again shortly.

Yes, I've seen them doing that. I've used a cradle pushed into a 3ft garden cane and then spread the wings out, to get the pigeon in range. The pain is finding the ******* in the thick crop.( if you manage to hit any!) Roll on harvest, no peas on my perms!

Ive been driving from cambridgeshire to newark to the cereals agricultural show all week and been on the look for pigeons all the time. Ive seen many pea feilds on the way but none with many on at all but yesterday on the way back i noticed a barley feild with a few going into it, i beeped the horn as i got level with it and a good amount got up. I shall be keeping an eye on any barley from now on.

I was driving through the Sandringham Estate today and saw one field alive with pigeons all on layed barley. The barley was still very green but it was still attracting the pigeons. Pigeons still patchy on my ground , mainly on cut clover and peas. Bit early to have a go at them yet but if they are still on the peas next month I will have to get the gun out.

J dog ,harvest is not that far away . My farmer friend told me today that he would probably be harvesting rape and cereals with in the next 3 or 4 weeks .

Harnser

That would appear to be very early. I thought that crops here in the Wolds were well on but they will not be ready in a month's time.

That would appear to be very early. I thought that crops here in the Wolds were well on but they will not be ready in a month's time.

I don't think we will see any combining of any crop around here until at least the second half of July , the earliest we started one year was July the 12th and that was winter Barley .

Northumberland may vie with Yorkshire as 'God's own country' but it is pretty far north and east to allow for a harvest within even three to four weeks of say East Anglia.

I used to live in North Northumbria near Berwick on Tweed. When my farmer friends from the south were telling me that harvest was over and they had half finished the drilling not many on the fertile land in that area had even started.

Another friend who has an estate in Angus started his harvest in mid September one year and that was on grade 2 land at no great altitude.

The harvest looks all over the place in my part of Norfolk. Some winter barley is well on and starting to turn while much of the spring sown it looking like being very late. But thats how I like it. When the winter barley gets harvested if we get a long lull before the spring crops are harvested and the pigeons have a limited number of fields to feed on making it simpler to get a bag togeather. This happened a few years ago and the estateonly harvested 3 fields before wet weather stopped all harvesting. Every pigeon in the area flocked to those three fields for weeks before harvesting could be restarted and they scattered across the countryside.

Edited by anser2