BASC Council election results confirm that wildfowling is now a spent

mudpatten

Out of the five BASC council places up for election by ballot.........

7 male candidates failed to get elected.

2 male candidate were elected.

3 female candidates were elected.

Noticeable how the only three women candidates standing were all elected with well over 1200 votes each, when the only two successful male candidates got around 1100 votes each, two of the unsuccessful male candidates got just over 1000 votes each and five unsuccessful male candidates struggled to get near to 1000 votes each?

Edited by panoma1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the four BASC council places up for election by ballot.........

8 male candidates failed to get elected.

1 male candidate was elected.

3 female candidates elected.

Noticeable how the only three women candidates standing were all elected with well over 1200 votes each, three of the unsuccessful male candidates got just over 1000 votes and the other five unsuccessful male candidates struggled to get near to 1000 votes each?

That seems rather close as votes go are the votes counted by an independent third party that has no association with BASC.

Out of the four BASC council places up for election by ballot.........

8 male candidates failed to get elected.

1 male candidate was elected.

3 female candidates elected.

Noticeable how the only three women candidates standing were all elected with well over 1200 votes each, three of the unsuccessful male candidates got just over 1000 votes and the other five unsuccessful male candidates struggled to get near to 1000 votes each?

There were 5 places up, and the fifth was got by Martyn Jones ex-Labour MP, who I think failed to get elected last year and stood again this time round. I wonder if there was a concerted effort in any quarters to get the women elected, as with their numbers of votes so similar suggests maybe some block voted for them. I think it's a good thing for shooting to have ladies high up in BASC.

Thanks David, I didn't realise it was for so long, an election worth winning.

There were 5 places up, and the fifth was got by Martyn Jones ex-Labour MP, who I think failed to get elected last year and stood again this time round. I wonder if there was a concerted effort in any quarters to get the women elected, as with their numbers of votes so similar suggests maybe some block voted for them. I think it's a good thing for shooting to have ladies high up in BASC.

Thanks David, I didn't realise it was for so long, an election worth winning.

Quite right, I missed the fact that Mr Jones got elected! Freudian slip? Lol

For the sake of accuracy I have amended my original post.

How does anyone know how many Wildfowlers voted ? those that did vote how do you know they would only vote for the Wildfowlers up for election ?

Many members Wildfowl and precipitate in other field sports, they might vote for candidates that pheasant shoot etc.

Some Wildfowling candidates were probably unknown to most Wildfowlers.

For some it can appear similar to the Westminster debate and everything is focused on the South of the Country forgetting about the North unless they want a yearly Fowling holiday to shoot geese.

Eddie

Wot amazed me when u read the blurb they wrote before the elections how new some were to BASC, some where in there 1st year, and a few had only been members for a couple of years.

While that does not mean u have not been involved in shooting for longer it does men u have not been supporting the Org u hope to advise/run. I think there should be a minimum membership term before u can run for office.

Also if my sums are right not just wildfowlers who cannae be ***** voting, 12 folk (i think) standing pretty much all around 1000ish votes so 12-14k votes out of an org with 130K? members so roughly 1% bothered to vote

There was a couple of canidates that got in that to me (and i may very well be wrong) look as if they only applied to get it on the CV, been members a very short time, quite young and in similar jobs?? possibly i'm reading too much into it thou

Wot amazed me when u read the blurb they wrote before the elections how new some were to BASC, some where in there 1st year, and a few had only been members for a couple of years.

While that does not mean u have not been involved in shooting for longer it does men u have not been supporting the Org u hope to advise/run. I think there should be a minimum membership term before u can run for office.

Also if my sums are right not just wildfowlers who cannae be ***** voting, 12 folk (i think) standing pretty much all around 1000ish votes so 12-14k votes out of an org with 130K? members so roughly 1% bothered to vote

There was a couple of canidates that got in that to me (and i may very well be wrong) look as if they only applied to get it on the CV, been members a very short time, quite young and in similar jobs?? possibly i'm reading too much into it thou

A take over by stealth - Or am I thinking conspiracy theory? :ninja:

Doesn't look good when the ex main man Swift is turning on BASC. I have been a member since it was WAGBI and always thought they were the organisation to fully back and represent the shooting world including wildfowling but in recent years I have began to doubt that.

Way to much namby pamby talk in this country now and not enough actual shooting talked.

Eddie

I agree with that Eddie - They don't seem willing to get the gloves off and fight bare fisted when it is required. Without compromise is required on occasions.

Still, it is what we have so unless someone gets up and forms yet another organisation to fight for the rights of hunters then we have to let them get on with it.

How the hell did Martyn Jones get in when he was all for the Hunting bill?

well some vote without looking into things. Token women always get votes (there are a lot of female members and if it only takes 1000 votes) I am all for women on committees and in management but not for short term members being elected.

Honestly I think BASC is under real threat from being infiltrated by the anti if we vote for people like "martin" or a person because she is female. If your that committed why haven't you been a member for over a decade?

Still think it would be far better if BASC, sacs, NGOs ect just joined into one large organization with subdivisions rather than having seperate groups...but can't see that ever happening.

I don't know how SACS came about. But the NGO was originally formed by 'Keepers who felt that they were getting very poor, or no support at all from BASC. So they split and formed their own organisation, which represents their profession far better than BASC has the will to do.

After the threat to two species of our staple quarry, which BASC supported. The present anomalies in the UK's laws regarding use of lead shot, as well as the impending threat to it's continuation, and now the questionable composition of BASC's Council. Isn't it time that Wildfowlers split from BASC, as the Gamekeepers did. I would think there is as many, if not more, 'Fowler's than 'Keeper's to support a successful organisation .

I respectfully think that your appreciation of what happened surrounding the gamekeepers departure from BASC is flawed.

It was much more to do with a clash of personalities and the massive ego`s (No disrespect intended) of some of the gamekeeping committee members of that time than of any dissatisfaction. BASC still has an active and much respected gamekeepers section whilst BASC membership continues to grow.

If you`re referring to the General Licence issue, you`ve misunderstood what happened there as well.

The lead shot laws are a matter for government who simply ignored BASC`s, and everybody else`s, input into that debate.

You`re also missing the point that the wildfowling community massively failed to engage with the democratic process. The notion that this politically disengaged majority will somehow be galvanised into individual action. to joining in, to taking an active part in the same way that fowlers did with the WAGBI of the 1950`s is mistaken in the extreme.

That apart, everything else you`ve said, I agree with.

I ask again how do you know how Wildfowlers voted ? they might have voted for a none Wildfowler, what you are saying is Wildfowlers did not achieve a good result not that Wildfowlers didn't vote as you cannot prove that at all.

The best way to get across to the powers at BASC would be for all Wildfowling clubs to offer that they might just pull the plug. Not many other field-sports were as it is a rule that you have to take out BASC membership to join a club. I dont know the figures across the country but the club I am a member pays upwards of £7K a year in subscriptions

Eddie

Edited by Morningflight