ff5 flapper

Took mine out for the first time last night. Only out for one hour but it's the best hour I've managed on crows on my permission ever. Set it up with the crow Hypa-flap and two full bodied decoys, didn't have a hide, just tried to conceal myself in some trees.

After about 15 minutes the first one came in, one shot and he was down. A quick substitution and he was set up on the flapper. Another 15 minutes later, two come over the top of some pine trees directly in front of me. I was sure they would see me and keep well out of range but they just seemed hypnotised by this flapper and came straight in. I stayed totally still and waited till the last second to mount the gun. Three shots this time and they were both down, glad I took the semi-auto with me. I went out to pick up the dead and loaded my last two cartridges in the gun. As I walked back to my spot I noticed a crow sitting in the wind but a goof 50ft high. Normally I wouldn't even think about taking a shot at that distance but after recently pattern testing my cartridges with my new choke I went for it. I think I probably hit it with my first shot as it started to drop instantly but gave it the second shot which definitely hit it. It seemed to take forever for it to hit the ground but I was happy as that was the best shot I've ever made. By this time it was about 2130 and nothing else was moving. Packed up at 2200 and headed home.

Sounds like you had a nice time, but you probably would have had the same results with any old flapper.

Well Done;but how long did you have to wait for the ff5;as I am still waiting

It did end up being about 10 weeks altogether so a bit of wait.

Sounds like you had a nice time, but you probably would have had the same results with any old flapper.

You're right. This is the first ever flapper I've used so don't know how good others are. If I buy another, it'll be a cheap one just to see how they compare.

I bought an "El cheapo" flapper to start with, and wish I had saved my money for an FF4/FF5 to start with. After two weeks the gearbox on the motor gearbox unit failed (Nick from Flightline was kind enough to send me one of his motor gearbox units, which is far higher quality, and much smoother, and quicker, so had to fit a speed controller in it for the corvid shooting, and that while it wasn't even one of his flappers, a true gent)

Then another two weeks later the knurled bolt that's used to attach the stake to the unit broke (cheap plastic, it just fell apart without even touching it) so have had to replace that with a stainless steel wing bolt too.

I'm saving my pennies and buying an FF4/FF5 from Flightline Decoys ASAP and I don't mind waiting.

Waiting for quality isn't a wait, buying kit that breaks continuously is a balls ache, and not something you will like at all

Edited by Redditch

got one 3months ago waited 9 weeks only used it for pigeons so far with dead birds.just as happy with my 2 A1turbos. on the plus side dead birds easier to mount. wind can blow a wing off the spike if not facing direct into it, working mech a bit flimsy dog trod on and bent slightly, try to spread the wings to far it wont work, sometimes have to tease the mech to get it flapping

last year got one of the cheaper models that Nick produces , and yep you guessed put the arms so safe that I cant find. Still waiting for the replacement arms after getting in touch some weeks ago but assume that it is so busy producing the new model that stuff for the older ones are on the back of the production sheet. so after a few e mails etc still not got the spare parts and now left with a flapper that doesnt. Hopefully they will turn up sooner or later. one hopes.

Guest Wilksy

I saw on his FB that's he's taking a few day off, not had a holiday for nine years and his daughters growing up fast, you can't knock him for that really.

• 1 year later...