72 members have voted

1. 1. Used pick-up?

• Toyota Hilux
    • Mitsubishi L200
    • Nissan Navara
    • Isuzu Rodeo
    • Ford Ranger
    • Other (please comment)

My trusty 1999 Freelander has finally died after managing just over 204000 miles. I’d love to get it sorted but it’s just not economically viable anymore.

So I’m now on the search for a second hand pick-up truck as I’ve always fancied one, I’m looking to spend about £5000 to £6000 which I know is not a lot. Currently I’m looking at:

• Toyota Hilux
  • Mitsubishi L200
  • Nissan Navara
  • Isuzu Rodeo
  • Ford Ranger

I’d like to hear from the PW massive what their experiences are with any of them, what to look out for and which one they would recommend? And if there are more pick-ups I missed, which is a certainty, please let me know.

Cheers

Edited by Cyrus1988

If it was me it would be the Toyota without a shadow of a doubt. A mate has the Isuzu and he swears by it but I only have experience of the Toyota.

Another mate has the Nissan and he likes it very much and he said he looked at the L200 but says the 'curved cab' means you are limited for which type of cover you can place on the back, but not quite sure what he means by this.

Nephew has the L200 but I've only driven round the block in it but wouldn't have one as it has too many aromatic christmas trees hanging off the mirror and the radio is on the wrong station, the one where the presenters spend all day talking about 'stately homes' and the music is mostly that rap ****. :)

Just to add to this a little more. I would steer clear of Navaras. You only have to do a search of google to find tales of engines cutting out for no apparent reason. My dad's Navara has only just suffered from this fault, itself. Of course, every car can be prone to problems, but these faults seem quite common.

Guest rimotu66

In your budget you are limited to either L200 or Ranger unless you are prepared to buy a very old Hilux. I am on my 2nd L200 Animal which gets a thumbs up from me, the older Rangers are a horrible un comfy drive if our work ones are anything to go by. The Navara seems to enjoy throwing its guts all over the road due to dodgy big end bolts and restricted oil feeds to the shells, there is a company somewhere that does a mod but I think its about £1600. The Toyota is the most reliable of the lot but commands a higher price. I have no experience of the Isuzu but my old trusty Trooper was awesome and I should never of sold it.

In your budget you are limited to either L200 or Ranger unless you are prepared to buy a very old Hilux. I am on my 2nd L200 Animal which gets a thumbs up from me, the older Rangers are a horrible un comfy drive if our work ones are anything to go by. The Navara seems to enjoy throwing its guts all over the road due to dodgy big end bolts and restricted oil feeds to the shells, there is a company somewhere that does a mod but I think its about £1600. The Toyota is the most reliable of the lot but commands a higher price. I have no experience of the Isuzu but my old trusty Trooper was awesome and I should never of sold it.

Not really. For £6000 you can get loads of hilux that are under 10 years old. I wouldn't call that very old.

Guest rimotu66

Not really. For £6000 you can get loads of hilux that are under 10 years old. I wouldn't call that very old.

Just done a quick search on ebay for Hilux > £6000 and there was 9, the newest was a beat up 2005 :hmm:

I personally would buy a Navara with the engine mods done. A lad in the north east mods them & sells them on. My mate bought one & had no bother with it, he chipped it & was getting 35mpg. Was driving to france twice a year & it never missed a beat, will definitely be my next motor once I scrap my skip on wheels....

• 5 weeks later...

Out of the 4 only the Toyota will get near the mileage of your Threegrander, the others will all need either new engines or rebuilds

Not so sure about that, Ive got a 06 Navara D40 just about to click over to 195,000, still on original engine and surprisingly the original clutch. Does like wearing through front wheel bearings though but you can get them reasonably cheap and its only a 20 min job to replace.

The navara which throws the engine over the road is the D22 (different shape) but with the budget you are probably looking at a D40. I have a friend who had a Hilux and planned keeping it and running it into the ground, he got rid of it after only 18 months as he hated it. He replaced it with an L200 which lasted only 6 months as he said it was so plasticy he was sure it was going to fall to bits.

Thanks for all the votes and comments, eventually got myself sorted with a 2003 Hilux, well chuffed.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=d8b207c459d8e0d46f0c2836fabde67e&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=314404&p=2868521&md5check=86561eb2c9cb71be09dcbdde05c002ed&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,zbwDupsyFFc');//]]></script> 6B4vxlU.jpg&&0

Cheers.

Hope you enjoy it - a good choice I reckon. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it and what mileage has it done?