FAC permissions land

Chezney

Evening all,

I have recently (two days ago!) obtained my FAC and a .17hmr. I've been shooting shotguns for a long time, but of course the rules are different.

Having read through the BASC bit on permissions I have the following question:

If I have permission to shoot on some land (which I'm sure has been checked for suitability by the constabulary, as a shooting friend has done so) do I have to also submit it to the constabulary?

Or worded in a different way,

Do I only need to get the constabulary to check some land I have permission on if I'm not certain it has already been checked for my calibre?

Might be a bit of a silly question but help would be appreciated!

All the best,

C

It costs nothing to inquire by email as to whether the said land has been inspected and the calibre it has been passed for.

If you do not have an open ticket you must ensure yourself via FEO if any land you wish to shoot on is passed for your calibre.

Do not take the word of anyone else but your FEO.

If your calibre is ok from this inquiry and obviously you have the required permission from the land owner.you do not need to notify FEO that you are to shoot his land.

Edited by Good shot?

Yes, a closed licence requires you to ensure that it is suitable for that calibre, with a closed licence you can't do that, the police need to.

So, the 'primary' land you have will have been cleared, any other land you gain, you need to ensure it has been deemed suitable by the local police.

Thanks guys.

If, for example, the new land was the primary land of a friends ticket, should I formally apply for that land. Or is an email enquiry sufficient?

You do not need to inform or apply for that land to be added to your ticket. When you are renewing your licence in five years you would perhaps add that land to show a 'need' and access to land for your rifle.

Ok brilliant thanks for sharing your knowledge! I'll follow this protocol then:

Get permission from land owner > email firearms to see if it has been cleared > if yes, great. If no > apply to have the land checked by firearms.

Will this hold me in good (and legal) stead?

Cheers

Get permission from land owner > email firearms to see if it has been cleared > if yes, great. If no > apply to have the land checked by firearms.

Cheers

In short, YES.

I would have thought you would have land to start with to be able to get your FAC ??????

He's said that he has land for the purposes of the FAC. This is him asking about other land on which a friend shoots the same calibre of firearm, and his question of whether or not he needs to contact the police before shooting on there.

Cheers

As 'Good shot?' has confirmed, this is the procedure to follow to ensure you stay legal

Yes, just to confirm, I have a farm to shoot which enabled me to get my FAC. I now have other farms available to shoot on which are a mix of ones my friends have had checked, ones I'm not sure have been checked and those which have not been checked. This is why I'm looking for a routine to use to make sure wherever I shoot is fully safe and legal.

Cheers

Yes, just to confirm, I have a farm to shoot which enabled me to get my FAC. I now have other farms available to shoot on which are a mix of ones my friends have had checked, ones I'm not sure have been checked and those which have not been checked. This is why I'm looking for a routine to use to make sure wherever I shoot is fully safe and legal.

Cheers

I stand corrected just didn't read his post correctly ...

I would get then to check to be on the safe side if you keep asking for land to be checked they might get fed up and open your ticket that has worked for some people...

I started with FAC air 3 months later did a variation for .22 rimfire and .17HMR ticket came back open .. :good: