Canada geese & young

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

For the same reason you would want to shoot fox and rabbit and any other pest species when they are breeding?

Canada geese are a serious pain in the **** in a lot of the country and in a lot of environments. It can't be true but it seems more comes out of their back end than they actually eat!

Not only have they taken over almost the whole Thames, to the detriment of other wildfowl, they are in ponds, fields, stables golf courses etc etc all over the place.

I guess this is the old Pest Control/Sport Shooting chestnut!

+1.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd wait until they're in season or the young have grown up but that's just me. Far better to do it before or after they have chicks.

Just an opinion :good:

Aren't they allowed to be shot all year roubd though, no close season on canada geese. And although i would say shoot inside the wildfoul season, my local golf course has over 6 breading pairs all who have had young, so there are 30plus birds now on the course, made up of pairs young and single birds. They don't move on... So if im tasked with controlling the numbers that is exactly what i do.

Aren't they allowed to be shot all year roubd though, no close season on canada geese. And although i would say shoot inside the wildfoul season, my local golf course has over 6 breading pairs all who have had young, so there are 30plus birds now on the course, made up of pairs young and single birds. They don't move on... So if im tasked with controlling the numbers that is exactly what i do.

They have a Season, so they have a close season, however, if you conform to the terms of the GL they can be shot ALL year.

:good:

They have a Season, so they have a close season, however, if you conform to the terms of the GL they can be shot ALL year.

:good:

So shooting them on the golf course due to them being a pest is ok due to the GL conditions. As I said previous if no issue then leave them to season but if they are taking over then they can be dealt with.

So shooting them on the golf course due to them being a pest is ok due to the GL conditions. As I said previous if no issue then leave them to season but if they are taking over then they can be dealt with.

........if you conform to the terms of the GL they can be shot ALL year. :yes::yes::yes:

I don't remember anything in the GL that says ......shooting them on the golf course due to them being a pest is ok. or if they are taking over then they can be dealt with

The GL is a tad more specific than that. :good:

........if you conform to the terms of the GL they can be shot ALL year. :yes::yes::yes:

I don't remember anything in the GL that says ......shooting them on the golf course due to them being a pest is ok. or if they are taking over then they can be dealt with

The GL is a tad more specific than that. :good:

Wasnt quoting haha. But would be nice if it was that simple hahahaha

I have just spokn with both firearms and natural england, and geese can be controlled under the health and safety/public saftey general licence on a golf course.. The poop they leave is considered a public safety matter. So you would bot be breaking the law by shooting them.

Hope this helps :good:

While this may be legal to do I think it's ethically very bad to kill breeding pairs and young of any species.

It can only get our sport a bad name if it gets wider publicity.

I would not do it and explain my stance to the landowner.

So if you were a golfer you would be happy to walk throught carp and have to pick up a ball covered in it too. Natural England told me that 30-40 on one lake which is one fairway, is a health and public safety issue and advised to control the numbers.

While this may be legal to do I think it's ethically very bad to kill breeding pairs and young of any species.

I agree, some of the comments come across as callous and uncaring towards wildlife. Some creature is doing what comes naturally ( going to the loo ) on people's golf balls my heart bleeds for the poor golfers.

So I take it you've not been shooting any pigeons lately.

Shooting Canada geese under the terms of the GL is NOT SPORT. it is controlling a pest for the reasons authorised under the GL.

Sport shooting of Canada geese is done in season, for no reason whatsoever except the shooter fancies a go testing himself, you can't even sell the things!.

Would that not apply to most wildlife, what's the answer shoot them all.

Everyone has there own views, I have no problem shooting a doe rabbit and watch the young come out to feed off her then proceed to shoot all the kits. May not sound nice but I enjoy what I do or else I wouldn't be doing it.

Would that not apply to most wildlife, what's the answer shoot them all.

No need generally.

Feral Pigeons in particular, potentially carry/spread a large number of very unpleasant diseases, which is why they have virtually no protection.

Then there is the Canada, whilst a lot of wildlife/wildfowl can cause H&S issues for the public, few flock or move in anything like the numbers Canada geese do, or in the places commonly frequented by people/families, hence why they are such an issue.

Edited by Dekers

Sort of says it all. At least you are honest.

So you dont enjoy shooting?

And im honest, ive been asked to carry out control at a golf course due to h&s under the GL. And I have said that I would reduce the numbers.

I also had the courtesy to contact both my local feo and natural england. Natural England agreed that the number of geese on just one of the lakes at this course needed to be reduced under the GL.

Edited by ShootingEgg