New build punt

Old farrier

I wouldn't if I was him, the Iberians have a habit of impounding gun punts, al la Abel Chapman. They seem to think that they are some sort of Naval craft.

Are you "punting" to Portugal?

It is coming on well OF, You make it look easy.

Keep up the good work

All the best.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good mate and hope you get your rewards in Portugal :good:

Thanks mate hope you liked the few mistakes I posted for you 😂

I wouldn't if I was him, the Iberians have a habit of impounding gun punts, al la Abel Chapman. They seem to think that they are some sort of Naval craft.

Good advice historically not a good idea impounded as a warship and created a diplomatic incident

All the best

Of

Looks nasty 😯

Is it along the full length of the plank and do you have a spare?

What finish are you planning, (paint,varnish,resin) and will it hide the repair to your satisfaction?

Modern day glues will be more than capable of repairing a split like that, but like Kent says "you will always know it's there"

The joys of timber

Edited by shoot and be safe

Aaaarrrrrr

The curse of magman strikes 😧

At £150 a plank I didn't bother with a spare 😂

Anyway find the positive

It happened now

Big plus its well above the waterline

Many punts are built with 4 inch planks and don't leak

I have a plan although varnish finish may be out now

Thanks for your concern and constructive comments

All the best

Of

Oh and rob I'm only joking 😂😂aaaarrrrrr

If it is not glued and you can remove it then an option would be to cut out the split and scarf joint the two bits together, but if it is already cut down to size or if it is glued that than is not an option at all.

You could rout out a channel along the full length of the split, put glue into the split line than place in a fillet of new wood to fill the gap. Knock back with a belt sander to get down to the level of the original wood. The depends on how thick the wood was to begin with and if you have enough wood spare to make the fillet.

If it is not glued and you can remove it then an option would be to cut out the split and scarf joint the two bits together, but if it is already cut down to size or if it is glued that than is not an option at all.

You could rout out a channel along the full length of the split, put glue into the split line than place in a fillet of new wood to fill the gap. Knock back with a belt sander to get down to the level of the original wood. The depends on how thick the wood was to begin with and if you have enough wood spare to make the fillet.

Done that waiting for glue to dry 😋

See we are all building this punt

Many thanks for the best solution to the problem

All the best

Of

It looks great though. I think having bits and pieces like that in your build is good. It is as structurally sound as the original timber, but proudly boasts how you beat a problem.

If it was bespoke exhibition furniture then it's different, but it is your home build punt that started off as a seed in your mind, influenced by things you have seen and read, how you have developed your wood working skills and overcome all manner of challenges and problems.

If the repair looked like a bag of spanners then re-visit it all, but it looks great and to my mind it is something you should show off.

It is built in character, that reflects your ability to overcome problems, right from the beginning.

I say it leave it as it is :)

It looks great though. I think having bits and pieces like that in your build is good. It is as structurally sound as the original timber, but proudly boasts how you beat a problem.

If it was bespoke exhibition furniture then it's different, but it is your home build punt that started off as a seed in your mind, influenced by things you have seen and read, how you have developed your wood working skills and overcome all manner of challenges and problems.

If the repair looked like a bag of spanners then re-visit it all, but it looks great and to my mind it is something you should show off.

It is built in character, that reflects your ability to overcome problems, right from the beginning.

I say it leave it as it is :)

+1 :good:

It's hard to see and it makes your punt even more of a one off. A bit like the monacle on the poker I made with your guidance earlier this year.

All looking good. Keep up the good work :yes:

Edit to add:

Plan 1 looks great. No need for plan 2 :no::good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Looking fantastic well executed repair there! You are wetting my appetite,

Perhaps in a few years I'll finally get around to building a boat! Its on the bucket list but i really don't have a need for one except when one would help me get to some good duck shooting when a bit of woodland i have floods but its once in a blue moon, no need for a punt gun but a nice m/l 6 or 8 bore shoulder gun would be fun....

Thanks for sharing your build with us!

Hi

Thanks Demonwolf glad your enjoying the build had you down for a ml4 though

Plan 2 may still come in although delivery on another plank is 2 to 3 months

The repair is good and considring the punts of years gone by were nailed together with tar or pitch to seal the gaps the modern glue is stronger than the wood

All the best

Of

Aaaarrrrrr

The curse of magman strikes

At £150 a plank I didn't bother with a spare

Anyway find the positive

It happened now

Big plus its well above the waterline

Many punts are built with 4 inch planks and don't leak

I have a plan although varnish finish may be out now

Thanks for your concern and constructive comments

All the best