they have woken up

Ira

I could here them popping away across the marsh tonight, about time, Ive got a small permission across there but its treading on toes. I think my little foray the other week might have woken some lazy permission holder up. (if a farmer asks for you to shoot his crop, whether someone else has permission, should you go, or leave it, bearing in mind its being neglected??

Any way someone has had a good evening by the sounds of it across Romney marsh, out the back of St Marys's Bay.

I could here them popping away across the marsh tonight, about time, Ive got a small permission across there but its treading on toes. I think my little foray the other week might have woken some lazy permission holder up. (if a farmer asks for you to shoot his crop, whether someone else has permission, should you go, or leave it, bearing in mind its being neglected??

Any way someone has had a good evening by the sounds of it across Romney marsh, out the back of St Marys's Bay.

The only thing that would put me off shooting, would be if a good friend had permission to shoot the land. Other than that, i'd happily shoot anywhere.

Its up to the farmer if he wants multiple permissions. I had a bloke come up to my hide last year telling me I was on his permission. I told him I had the permission of the farmer and if he has a problem with that then he can complain to the farmer. The farmer happens to be a good mate of mine and was not impressed with the bloke when I told him....he had not seen the bloke in over two years.....it just happens he lives nearby and could hear me shooting.

The only thing that would put me off shooting, would be if a good friend had permission to shoot the land. Other than that, i'd happily shoot anywhere.

In the past I would try to negotiate sole consent with the land owner. There is little more frustrating in a pigeon shooter's life than watching a field then to turn up to shoot only to find someone else there. Now that I have moved to Lincolnshire I am starting from scratch and I will take what I can get.

As for Motty having good friends..........

If a farmer asks you to shoot you should, someone I know that has second chance of pigeon shooting on an estate near me never goes and wont let anyone else go (and I've known him for most of my life).

But i often get a call to go when the person with first chance goes is going to help keep birds on the move

In the past I would try to negotiate sole consent with the land owner. There is little more frustrating in a pigeon shooter's life than watching a field then to turn up to shoot only to find someone else there. Now that I have moved to Lincolnshire I am starting from scratch and I will take what I can get.

As for Motty having good friends..........

Been in that situation countless times and it's so frustrating, and always when it's the hottest looking field/day!!

But on the other hand we still manage plenty of good days throughout the year by constantly keeping an eye on fields of interest to hopefully spot situations before anyone else.

We don't have sole permission on any of our farms but can't help thinking it's almost a selfish attitude to try and negotiate such terms, whilst it would be nice it can end up making whole areas in accessible for all but one person....how does anyone else ever get going when it's like that?

Whilst it's really down heartening when you turn up the find someone else shooting the only time it really grinds my gears is when it's a guide we have turn up on the stubbles with a load of foreigners that always seems to ruin a good day at least once a year....never see him on rape of course!

Must have been great when it came to watching fields knowing you could let numbers build and pick the right days etc etc.

Yeah bacically theres a few pea fields up the road, the greeks come down once or twice a year to shoot the farmers ground, other than than that theres one local lad that I sort of know who shoots it, although I believe he has given permission to quite a few people. Well I watched the fields just because its what we do really. Then a couple of weeks ago the farmer stopped me to give me an invite to a barn dance. Naturally the conversation turned to the amount of pigeons on his fields, I mentioned that he had quite a few people he had given permission to but would happily shoot it if he didn't mind, he said feel free to have a go at em.

So I did and had a nice little bag of 43 one evening. Then I see the lad in the village and over a pint arrange to go on a roost shoot with him, we take my truck and on the way there he winges about someone shooting out on his permission at the weekend, yep that was me. He was fine about it but said it wasn't very nice and he had had bad times before with people trying to hit on his ground in the past and that it wasn't really the done thing, blah blah.

We had a good roost shoot, well he did I couldn't hit a barn door!, it was left that if I kept an eye on the pigeons then let him know and we could shoot them together, strikes me that he wants the permission to himself, have some one do the donkey work and then maybe shoot it if he feels like it.

I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he wants to go. Although its a bit of a backdown, its often easier to get on with people than not, especially when the peas and the people are on your doorstep.

Good barn dance where the farmer surprised everyone and got married to his missus half way through, well done Roger!

Edited by Ira