Essex Police issue 3 permits to date.....

blasterjudd

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my sons application went in last week. Got a letter this week saying its a 28 week wait until it'll be dealt with.

So basically he will have his ticket ready for the end of the season - if we're lucky! Fantastic!

Responsibility lays firmly with the chief constable as far as I'm concerned and it's a total disgrace!

So far I've done a lot of phoning but the best was 101 Quality of service who said we can't help but my manager will call you back & say the same thing if you want.

Long & the short is............................it's going to be a long wait or move to Suffolk cos they have a quick turnaround time.

Edited by landy george

I applied for a variation on my fac and thought I was in for a long wait by what I was reading on here I was shocked that I received a phone call to set up interview in the third week from sending it in, I received my ticket back 3 weeks later last month, so all in only took 6 weeks.

I thought tickets due to run out was priority?

I rang Essex police this week at 9.30am having got BASC involved to complain on my behalf still nothing so felt worth a chat and guess what I got a voicemail saying office hours for answering calls are between 12 midday and 4pm !!!!!!!

What's that all about ? too many complaints perhaps ????

That's so they can get on with paperwork in the morning before everybody phones to complain in the afternoon :lol:

Well that's a great idea LandyGeorge !!!

But ask yourself 1 question in the real world what business does that ?

Most businesses would be more concerned with customers getting wound up if they were to do that.......

Edited by blasterjudd

Well that's a great idea LandyGeorge !!!

But ask yourself 1 question in the real world what business does that ?

Most businesses would be more concerned with customers getting wound up if they were to do that.......

If I gave a 6 month delivery at work I wound what would happen :rolleyes:

The problem is there is nothing we can do about it.

If I gave a 6 month delivery at work I wound what would happen :rolleyes:

The problem is there is nothing we can do about it.

Precisely LandyGeorge

They take your money and you get nowt but poor service this needs the government's intervention why should they provide a substandard service when other counties don't if they were paid on performance things might be a bit different!!!

I'm speaking with BASC on this matter and they are about to publish the results of poor performers and guess what Essex come up top of the list ...... BASC ring them virtually daily complaining about things!

Edited by blasterjudd

What everyone in Essex must do, whether they are due for a renewal or not, is to write and complain to the Essex police commissioner and also to the MP for their ward. I would be tempted to write to ACPO (NPCC) as well, just for good measure.

Regrettably it is a David and Goliath type situation, but apathy will achieve nothing.

The thing that needs to be considered is that this isn't just about shooting and shooters, it reflects the attitude that Essex Police have towards customer service in general and that is what the letters of complaint must emphasise.

But the Firearms Licencing Department of Essex Police are NOT a business and are not paid on performance!

If they were they would have folded by now and a better set up would be in place!

You're spot on Dave and it is pointless to compare them. It is a public service that they offer and there are no performance measures, but it doesn't matter if they are negligent on SGC/FAC renewals or attending domestic disturbances, the simple fact is that they are failing in their duty to offer a reasonable public service and that is what needs to be highlighted.

The complaint is about their failure to deliver what they are obliged to do in a reasonable way and that is what people need to complain about, en mass.

Someone in the area should also consider making a freedom of information request on the number of recorded complaints about Essex Police licensing department over the last 12 - 24 months and then use that as ammunition to escalate the issue further. If they don't accurately record complaints, both written and verbal, then that becomes an area of complaint as well.

Edited by grrclark

The last time a thread about Essex firearms ran, BASC claimed to be taking a "softly softly" approach, and that dialogue should be between applicants and the individual departments.

That doesn't seem to be working and perhaps now BASC should step up and manage the complaints process on behalf of all shooters. It can't be that hard to say a "reasonable time" to process applications isn't sim months plus.

Edited by Flashman

Have just had a look at their website; 'Service Delivery Targets' are two months maximum, but I see there is a disclaimer due to high workloads.

Maybe it's time the shooting organisations took a more active role in this, after all, they are in more of a position to influence matters than individuals. Perhaps it's time to rock the boat a bit.

I have no idea how many firearms owners there are in Essex, but the suggestion grrclark proposes is a good one for individuals. Contacting your shooting organisation and demanding they do something wouldn't be a bad idea either. If they can't or wont help then pay your subscriptions to another. I did. Voting with your wallets is a sure-fire result getter. :yes: