Essex Police issue 3 permits to date.....

blasterjudd

Its a shame such bad service is allowed, but BASC worked for me, my force, Gloucestershire, kept telling me my shotgun renewal had been issued but was with the FEO and she was struggling with her workload. I contacted BASC and they gave me two emails with the policeforce to send an email of complaint too. That evening I was contacted by the FEO and had the license in my hand with a few hours. Its very frustrating but never be afraid to complain, its the only way to get a better service. Many feel that by complaining it will effect the issuing of a licence and I feel its for this reason that firearms depts. have managed to slip to such a low standard.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very frustrating but never be afraid to complain, its the only way to get a better service. Many feel that by complaining it will effect the issuing of a licence and I feel its for this reason that firearms depts. have managed to slip to such a low standard.

This. :good:

+1 Especially for new FAC / SGC holders who feel that any complaint may affect the grant.

Keep it civil, keep a record and you'll hopefully get the result you are after. Personally I would always email your MP and the forces PCC if you are getting no joy as there is only one way that excrement travels.

It makes a joke of the staff in forces that work damn hard to keep the licencing system going at a reasonable rate, I find Avon and Somerset great with variations taking up to 10 days. It is so frustrating as the system should be so much smoother, forces shouldn't have to deal with 1000's of variations when the system could be built to eradicate them.

I applied for my sgc in January, the police received it in February, I spoke to them yesterday and was told that I can expect to wait AT LEAST ANOTHER TWO MONTHS!!

That would mean a turn around time of 8-9 months, I find it totally unacceptable! I shall be writing to my mp, basc and the NPCC.

My friend got his sgc within 6 weeks in Sussex!

I just cannot see any excuse for the sub poor service we are getting currently. I feel for the people in the office as the get the brunt of it from disgruntled 'customers', but surely they can sort this out quicker than what they are!??

Edited by Kev81

• 4 weeks later...

Todays the day my temporary runs out. Still no new SGC, I've called three times this week to be told it will be with me before the temp one runs out.

If it doesn't arrive in the post this morning I'll be on the phone to them from noon when they open and if its still not been posted I'll be in the car to their office.

Any advice as to who I should be complaining to will be greatly appreciated.

Todays the day my temporary runs out. Still no new SGC, I've called three times this week to be told it will be with me before the temp one runs out.

If it doesn't arrive in the post this morning I'll be on the phone to them from noon when they open and if its still not been posted I'll be in the car to their office.

Any advice as to who I should be complaining to will be greatly appreciated.

Write to the firearms department head and also write to the chief constable and in both cases insist that the complaint is formally logged and registered.

If you have a police commissioner then write to them too. Check out the IPCC website and that will give you contact details, etc. https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

Head of department would be a start and then the Chief Officer for your region in writing if no joy. Let us know how you get on.

Write to the firearms department head and also write to the chief constable and in both cases insist that the complaint is formally logged and registered.

If you have a police commissioner then write to them too. Check out the IPCC website and that will give you contact details, etc. https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

Thanks Guys.

Spoke to FSEL Dept just now who informed me it was posted 2nd class on Wednesday. The post has been today and it hasn't arrived. They confirmed that even if it hasn't arrived I'm legally covered as its been issued. I'm not comfortable with not having it in my possession however. I have the option of lodging my guns with a friend if not having a valid ticket in my possession isn't legal should I consider doing this before tomorrow?

I then called the very helpful Mike Evely at BASC to confirmed that as the new cert has been issued I'm legally a valid licence holder. My renewal fee was taken in February when I submitted the renewal, Mike stated that its payable to renewal not application. BASC also advised that if I wish to complain to use the channels recommended in your posts.

Lets see what arrives in the post tomorrow.....

Crazy!

It couldn't be any more different to what it used to be like even a couple of years back when I got mine! (3 week beginning to end first application, Co-term).

Sad news though as a friend of mine is applying so doubt he'll be getting his ticket any time soon.

I heard about the FEO issues, there was a lovely older chap with a big moustache who was there, and he was a great FEO - he went. Then a couple of others too.

Crazy!

It couldn't be any more different to what it used to be like even a couple of years back when I got mine! (3 week beginning to end first application, Co-term).

Sad news though as a friend of mine is applying so doubt he'll be getting his ticket any time soon.

I heard about the FEO issues, there was a lovely older chap with a big moustache who was there, and he was a great FEO - he went. Then a couple of others too.

I know, a lot of them in Essex have left and haven't been replaced. Both the FEO's I've spoken to for this renewal have been really helpful, it appears there's not enough of them or people in the office to support the volume,

my sons shotgun ticket ran out at the beginning of june as did another mates of mine

the feo came round on the 14th july and interviewed him (my son)

still nothing his temp ticket runs out oct 7th so they need to hurry up

as for my mate i dont even think they have tried to contact him yet let alone been round

my son is after another gun but cant get on till he gets his renewal through they cant put it on a temp ticket

also be warned if your FAC runs out your not allowed to keep expanding rounds of any type in your house/safe

so therefore its stoping you from shooting

also be warned if your FAC runs out your not allowed to keep expanding rounds of any type in your house/safe

so therefore its stoping you from shooting

Didn't know about this until it was mentioned on a recent thread, but like I said then, my FEO never mentioned this fact to me at last renewal when I was issued a S&, and he's never mentioned it to a mate who is currently on a S7, his tickets having expire at the beginning of July.

It would seem that despite the law of the land, some forces are suiting which ones they ignore to suit their current situations.

one of the guys in our i shoot with got told and didnt belive it so he got in touch with country side allence (sorry about bad spelling)

who confirmed it

Sorry, I wasn't doubting you; it wouldn't be the first time licensing have ignored, or told applicants to ignore, laws which are inconvenient.

I can just imagine asking a farmer if you can help him out by shooting foxes on their land, getting the go-ahead and then telling them it's 5mths for a variation to come through. He/she will simply tell you not to bother. I was told a variation is taking 5mths at the moment in Essex. So much for increasing the fees but forgetting about the service.

• 2 weeks later...

Been following this as I put in a coterminous application which EP received late jan/early feb this year.

Got my feo visit last week, well over six months.

Hoping to purchase CZ .22 rimmy b/a as soon as ticket finally arrives, hopefully not so long now ??

If anyone selling in Essex or close counties I'd like to hear.