FAC - clarification of 'closed' ticket

Hi everyone,

Recently had my fac granted for vermin control over 2 large farms, which supported my application.

if a friend invites me to shoot on his land, which has been cleared for .22lr, 223, 243, can I take my 22lr and shoot or can I only shoot on the land I applied over. I know I don't have an open ticket but the land has been cleared already. Do I just inform the police by letter or can just roll up?

Thanks for the advise.

Before my ticket was opened all I had to do was phone my local firearms department and ask for a area of land to be added to my file. They can check there and then if its cleared for your calibre. If cleared your good to go, if not then no you cant until it has been inspected and cleared. Hope this helps

I am closed and it' was just the matter of simple email to licencing naming new land and contact number for landowner.They then I assume check clearance for calibre and call farmer for confirmation of permission.I receive an email back stating new land added to my file and I'm cleared to go.

The last one I did took 3 days for the all clear,for this reason I have never been bothered about pressing for an open ticket.

if your ticket is closed you must tell your firearms dept to add said land to your file, if your ticket is open just turn up and go that's what my feo explained to me (Essex)

if you didn't have to there wouldn't be much point in having an open or closed ticket.

Atb

You can just roll up there as long as you have permission to shoot there. Might be worth a double check with plod that it actually Is cleared though.

This as far as I am aware. As long as you have permission and know the land is cleared for your calibre off you go.

Case in point a friend who shoots with me has a closed ticket but he has permission to shoot on my permission which I have had cleared for the calibre he is using so off he goes.

The wording of the FAC closed states that you can only shoot on land where you have lawful authority to shoot and has been deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area so as long as you are confident you fulfil the criteria off you go. Certainly my FEO didnt add my most recent permission to a file she just pointed me the direction of the force concerned and told me to check if the land has been cleared.

if your ticket is closed you must tell your firearms dept to add said land to your file, if your ticket is open just turn up and go that's what my feo explained to me (Essex)

if you didn't have to there wouldn't be much point in having an open or closed ticket.

Atb

That may be their policy, but that isn't the law. As long as the land has been deemed suitable and you have permission, then just shoot. No need to add it to your file. the only time it could be helpful is if you lose other land which supported your application. Then if you have multiple permissions they don't even have to check for continuous good reason.

The only thing a closed ticked does is ensure that the land has been checked at some point for the rifles to be used there. It does nothing to say who can or can't shoot there.

Rick

As they drown in a paperwork tsunami West Mercia have stopped clearing land and so I've heard have resorted to a bit of Google Earth action to see what a but of land looks like

My main ground was only cleared to .243 and I wanted .308 so to avoid having to leave the office they just opened my ticket to put the onus on me!

Thanks for the advise chaps, I think this one is a bit of a lottery depending on where you are. It seems I am perfectly within the law to shoot as I have written permission and my friend has already cleared the land for his rifles.

I guess it won't harm to let the constab know where I'm shooting though.

The wording normally says "Land deemed suitable by Chief Officer of Police" or words to that effect. It doesn't say anything about it being listed "on your file". Ask them when you call to see if it's been cleared. They could probably do without the aggro of having to add any new places to your file each time you pick up new permission.

When I had a closed ticket, there was no land listed on it at all. (Met)

Its simple , all you have to do is comply with the conditions on your certificate.

Assuming you have permission, which evidently you do...

If it reads you can use you rifle on land that's already been approved for that caliber (as well as the land that you have specified on your license), not unusual on initial grant, then if he land has been cleared for the caliber you have, you are complying.

However do not assume that if the land has been cleared for a higher caliber that automatically means its been cleared for a smaller calibers, not necessarily the case.

If in doubt ,call you licencing team at police HQ

David

Its simple , all you have to do is comply with the conditions on your certificate.

If it reads you can use you rifle on land that's already been approved for that caliber (as well as the land that you have specified on your license), not unusual on initial grant, then if he land has been cleared for the caliber you have, you are complying.

However do not assume that if the land has been cleared for a higher caliber that automatically means its been cleared for a smaller calibers, not necessarily the case.

David

Blimey, I bet that will catch many out. I think many people read "up to ...." when they see a caliber rating.

I really don't get this add it to your file business? The only piece of land that should be in or on any sort of 'file' is the original land you applied with.

Any other subsequent land you have permission for you can shoot as long as you can be certain it's cleared for the calibre you're using.

Maybe again it's differences between force areas?

I really don't get this add it to your file business? The only piece of land that should be in or on any sort of 'file' is the original land you applied with.

Any other subsequent land you have permission for you can shoot as long as you can be certain it's cleared for the calibre you're using.

Maybe again it's differences between force areas?

I was thinking this a long time earlier in the topic, but I get bored and frustrated of either misinformation being handed out, or as you've alluded to, forces 'reading between the lines' and making up the law as they feel fit, AGAIN.

Sorry to hijack but What info do you need to check cleared land? Is it just the farm address or grid ref for the actual land?

One of my farms has another 1200 acres 15 miles away from the rest of the farm

Just give them the address, a grid ref won't help anymore than the address.

David

are you saying land cleared for 308 is not cleared for 22 lr

He is saying that you can't automatically assume that it is.

Good advice, back in my army days my SSM gave me a bit advice to NAFOF (never assume find out first). I've had a couple of invites out in the past and I just emailed Northumbria to confirm land was cleared, on both occasions I got a reply within a few hours.