Very Poorly cocker.

wacker

So, a few weeks back we were on holiday in Devon and my two year old working cocker Millie had an anal gland infection which she needed surgery to drain and antibiotics to clear infection. We ended up coming home early as she was not allowed to get sand/grit into the open wound. A week later we took her to our vet to see if it was all cleared, whilst waiting to see the vet i was stroking her chin, and thats when i noticed a large lump in her neck!

The vet gave Millie a course of antibiotics and wanted to see her in a week...Well a week later and it didnt go away so a biopsy was carried out. Before we could find out what is was, she started to get blotches on her tummy and her gums were bleeding! our vet said they wanted to refer her to the vetinery university South of Bristol. Well our poor Millie has been there for two weeks now. Shes had a full body ct scan, and thank god it's not cancer.

What they did find was her immune system is attacking her blood platelets which bone marrow produces to stop her bleeding when cut, scratched etc. So she is now on a very strong course on steroids and anti immune drugs and is having blood tests every day. Currently there is very little improvment and her orignal operation site is now an open, oozing wound. Millie has been in intensive care for two weeks now. We made the hour and half trip to visit her in hospital today and it was a visit of mixed emotions as Millie looked happy but it was clear to see that with the hole in her neck and wearing the cone of shame, she was ill.

The vet looking after Millie said that until Millie's blood platelet levels increase she is at high risk of infection and could hemmorage if playing or bumping into something, this could include a fatal bleed into the brain or spinal chord. Today Millie will recieve an injection to force her bone marrow to dump a load of platelets into her system so fingers crossed! The Vet said Millie has a way to go yet till she can come out of the ICU and come home to us. We were told that there is a 30% mortality rate with this condition. We are just hoping and praying that she pulls through this.

Millie update. Well, we had a call from vet on Friday and things are improving! They took a blood sample and her blood platelets are 40, which is a vast improvement. Her operation site is now healing and the lump has gone down. She is even presenting the nurses with her toy every time they walk by. Very Millie like!

If she continues to improve then we may even have her back later on in the week! This was poor Millie just after biopsy.

post-1750-0-33298200-1435431717_thumb.jpg

Well thank you for your kind messages. So, had a call from vets yesterday and platelets are 180! She is doing fine and can now come home...YAY!!! We picked Millie up today and now she is asleep on the sofa next to me as i write this. She will need meds for the next few months as we need to slowly ween her off them. Also she's going to need blood tests to check the platelets. Vet bill is around the 4k mark which is covered by insurance. However the monthly med bill is £200!

If anyone is interested in a 725 black edition in left hand, mine is up for sale to help with costs!

Well thank you for your kind messages. So, had a call from vets yesterday and platelets are 180! She is doing fine and can now come home...YAY!!! We picked Millie up today and now she is asleep on the sofa next to me as i write this. She will need meds for the next few months as we need to slowly ween her off them. Also she's going to need blood tests to check the platelets. Vet bill is around the 4k mark which is covered by insurance. However the monthly med bill is £200!

If anyone is interested in a 725 black edition in left hand, mine is up for sale to help with costs!

Ouch , will the insurance not pay for the ongoing treatment ?

Afraid not. Max per policy year is £4,000. We've maxed it for this year. We do have a "for life" policy so if the condition goes into the next policy year it's covered.

The only problem is, the end of this year is not until feb 2016!

Great news!!!! Very happy for you, when I read things like this it reminds me why I pay insurance for my two.

It may not be the case here, but this dog may have been given up on a lot earlier without insurance, I'm not saying that just becuase you have insurance you should carry out certain things, a line needs to be drawn somewhere, it feels like a waste paying it until something very serious happens, then it's the best thing ever.......if it pays out lol

But this is a great outcome, very pleased for you! :)

Edited by Fal