Rats at night

Tomk282

Evening Gents,

Discovered i have a big issue with rats that have buried themselves underneath my chicken coup, Have atleast 4 entry tunnels dug and filling them in with hardcore and dirt just results in another one appearing.

Dont exactly use my air rifle much so was curious about how to tackle this, need to be shot at night when they come out and dont have silly night vision gear. Is it possible to lamp rats without spooking them?

There is no need for baiting as i can see them in the coup at night picking up pellets and corn.

Best way to tackle this with the cheapest methods?

Got rat traps out already but cant poision them due to the poultry

Cheers in advance ;)

I had the same problem years ago, I mounted the henhouse on wheels so I could move the whole lot along with temporary fencing. I also lifted the food out every night but put up a slab with bait on to pick off the odd one in the evening. Poison bait in the holes before plugging them and traps in safe areas helped.

Take away the food source and the rats will be less of a problem.

It can be hard to poison them with chickens about but if you can do it safely then start there, also set traps and shoot, but poison is the best approach.

If you shoot them you can set up a batter/solar light near the food a knock them off one at a time. If you set it up and leave it for a week they will get used to it. Good

Luck.

Evening Gents,

Discovered i have a big issue with rats that have buried themselves underneath my chicken coup, Have atleast 4 entry tunnels dug and filling them in with hardcore and dirt just results in another one appearing.

Dont exactly use my air rifle much so was curious about how to tackle this, need to be shot at night when they come out and dont have silly night vision gear. Is it possible to lamp rats without spooking them?

There is no need for baiting as i can see them in the coup at night picking up pellets and corn.

Best way to tackle this with the cheapest methods?

Got rat traps out already but cant poision them due to the poultry

Cheers in advance ;)

crickey mate,, if I was you I would give the pied piper a call, he,ll sort them because I,ve not heard of rats using night vision before

As a hen keeper and a pro pest controller I wouldn't use poison.

Too much risk of secondary poisoning. Definetley don't use loose grain and blocks are dodgy too. Permanently set fenn traps around the perimetre and under the hen house are best, rats will get used to them and its a permanent protection.

I would do a combination of things, such as traps outside the perimeter - fenn or bait boxes with snap traps in, albeit Fenn are likely better - and then I would get a low level red light permanently on for a few days as they'll still come out after they get used to it.

I did this before and would put chunks of snickers in places I knew the yardage exactly of and would just shoot them as they came to it. Good fun, sure, but not going to completely eradicate the issue I am afraid.

My way is this; Place yourself in a position with a clear view with your rifle on a rest and trained at the hole and stay still! Have a lit but not too bright torch or handlamp aimed at the place you know where they will emerge and their eyes will glow bright red as the come out to play. Aim between their eyes and pop it off.

BE PATIENT and an offereing of rancid fat a meter from the hole will act like a magnet for them.

Use gloves/tongs to pick them up and double bag them before binning or burning.

Something i forgot on my initial response and i remebered yesterday. The antidote to most second generation anticoagulant rodenticide poison is vitamin k. Corn and hen food is corn rich is high in vit k so even if you get the rats to eat the poison they will also be eating an antidote. The suggestions regards poison should be ignored. Traps and a bit of shooting are yhe way forward

Something i forgot on my initial response and i remebered yesterday. The antidote to most second generation anticoagulant rodenticide poison is vitamin k. Corn and hen food is corn rich is high in vit k so even if you get the rats to eat the poison they will also be eating an antidote. The suggestions regards poison should be ignored. Traps and a bit of shooting are yhe way forward

I need to go to specsavers as I,m sure I,m seeing double