Royal Mail - Lost Licence

marnold

Morning all!

Has anyone had their licence lost by Royal Mail when sending it back to the issuing force?

I sent off a one-for-one variation that should have arrived with the FLO on Monday gone, using the 'Signed For' service with Royal Mail. It is still showing as 'We have your item' when I use the tracking number on the receipt and hasn't been received by the Firearms Licensing Department which has got me to thinking, what happens if it never arrives?

Obviously, I need another licence, which is no real bother and cheap enough to replace (apart from the added waiting time). But do I really have to do this? Could I not fill in another variation form, take it to the Firearms Licensing Department of my issuing force and have it done then and there, explaining about the loss of the FAC? I have the receipt and and photocopy of the licence sent which has gone missing.

Anybody else had any similar experience? Are the Licensing Departments able to do variations 'while you wait' so to speak or is this a no-no?

I very much doubt a 1 for 1 will be done while you wait.

The last two transactions requiring me to inform licensing have simply been posted by my OH, who has simply just posted them despite me asking her to send them via recorded delivery. Hope they got there. :)

I'm not worried about having it done and in my hand the same day necessarily, sorry my post was slightly misleading.

What I'm really after is to have them print the replacement FAC while I was there so that I could give them the variation forms immediately with the new ticket whilst I was there, if that makes sense?

Cut out the middle man (Royal Mail)!

See what you mean, I think (?) but whether or not they can print it off there and then, there is nothing to stop you handing in your variation application at anytime, even if your license is undergoing processing. Not sure if that helps or not.

Hi Scully, yes that helps a lot - I wasn't aware of that so it is good to know. Thanks

Mine disappeared for 5 days using 1st class recorded, in fact the tracking still says "We have your item" even though it was eventually delivered and signed for.

Lesson learnt, don't use the 'Signed For' service!! It is the most ridiculous service, why pay for it to be signed for and then never update the tracking info/get the recipient to sign?!