Little vixen

FOXHUNTER1

I have been baiting an area for a while now where I knew there was a pair of foxes.

Last night I decided to try for them . Midnight and the pair showed up :)

Jeff shot the vixen with his NV , the dog then made a beeline for his deceased partner , another shot , a thud followed by a scream and it disappeared.

We scoured the area but to no avail , we couldn't find it.

We went back again this morning but once again couldn't find it :unhappy:

001_zpsm2qgksrc.jpg

Aye and they say hunting with hounds is cruel!

I haven't got a problem hunting with hounds in fact have followed them in the past .

Just keeping things real , in shooting things get wounded no matter how hard we try to avoid this , nothings perfect in this world.

Aye and they say hunting with hounds is cruel!

I take it from this comment that you have never wounded an animal or one has got away then? Maybe a bit of background on how you avoid this would help "educate" us.

Well done foxhunter on the vixen. By the look of the damage good calibre choice and as such the dog wont have made it far. Never a nice situation when you cant find them or they dont drop on the spot but that is the reality of shooting sometimes despite what other people may argue. I have been amazed over the years with the distance a fox will run with catastrophic injuries, thats the effect of adrenalin I suppose. Keep up the good work.

I take it from this comment that you have never wounded an animal or one has got away then? Maybe a bit of background on how you avoid this would help "educate" us.

Well done foxhunter on the vixen. By the look of the damage good calibre choice and as such the dog wont have made it far. Never a nice situation when you cant find them or they dont drop on the spot but that is the reality of shooting sometimes despite what other people may argue. I have been amazed over the years with the distance a fox will run with catastrophic injuries, thats the effect of adrenalin I suppose. Keep up the good work.

Well done foxhunter keep up the good work , from time to time we all have a runner unfortunately.

Couldn't said myself any better Mike ..

Funny I've been looking at a few threads recently with negative comments and the ones who comment never post anything they have controlled/dispatched themselves just like to put up with a quick comment :)

Edited by fruity

Aye Mike shot with .22/250

I am also amazed sometimes by the resilience of wildlife with fatal injuries, once saw a fox travel 100 yds with its intestines hanging out.

We strive for all quarry to be dispatched instantly but in reality this doesn't happen all the time.

If you pull the trigger enough you will encounter wounding at some point :yes:

Well done foxhunter keep up the good work , from time to time we all have a runner unfortunately.

Couldn't said myself any better Mike ..

Funny I've looking at a few threads recently with negative comments and the ones who comment never post anything they have controlled/dispatched themselves just like to put up with a quick comment :)

I totally agree with you on the last comment. Lots of "miky vixen" comments of late that lots of us have had negative comments about which when challenged .....silence. I am sure bobo will come back and let us know how this situation can be avoided...or maybe not, time will tell.

In case anybody wants to argue otherwise it is the intention of all sportsmen and sportswomen who shoot to avoid any unnecessary pain or suffering being inflicted on any animal. Unfortunately with the best will in the world there will be times when it goes wrong. We all try and avoid it but it will happen. The same is true of driving, lots of us get it wrong, despite our best efforts to avoid it.

Aye Mike shot with .22/250

I am also amazed sometimes by the resilience of wildlife with fatal injuries, once saw a fox travel 100 yds with its intestines hanging out.

We strive for all quarry to be dispatched instantly but in reality this doesn't happen all the time.

If you pull the trigger enough you will encounter wounding at some point :yes:

Sorry mate just posted above which is pretty well exactly what you have said...great minds must think alike (dont take to much offence :lol: )

keep up the good work

My mate shot a fox about 4 weeks ago, 223 at about 40 yards with night vision, I saw it get up and run.. 15 mins later we found it in another field about 80 odd yards away..

It was a solid heart shot and it was a real mess, just ran on adrenalin I guess..